Confused about K701's sound
Nov 4, 2011 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

eclectichead

New Head-Fier
Hi, I heard about these forums from my brother and have been lurking around for a while searching for my ideal headphones which so far seems to the K701's. however, I've read about some negatives and some accusations about its sound being "synthetic" so I doubted whether or not those were for me.
I listen mostly to jazz (bebop and some contemporary stuff mostly), classical and some eclectic fusions of rock/jazz/classical as well as some hip hop breaks and a lot of vocal stuff (ranging from opera to some more popish type music, so I do like my vocals). But more important I like my soundstage to be as massive as possible and for separation to be nice as well.
If I were to get these 'phones what amp should I use with them? And does the DAC I use matter that much? If I got them I was considering either the Matrix M-Stage and some cheaper DAC or the Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1. I was favoring the D1 but then I read that it distorts the soundstage and perhaps fails to bring out the potential in them which would be greatly disappointing for me since it seemed like the ideal package for me. I need a good combo (separate or combined) that really brings out the potential without being too pricey (around $200 would be best).

Also what's the difference between k701 and k702? Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Nov 4, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #2 of 49

Quote:
Hi, I heard about these forums from my brother and have been lurking around for a while searching for my ideal headphones which so far seems to the K701's. however, I've read about some negatives and some accusations about its sound being "synthetic" so I doubted whether or not those were for me.
I listen mostly to jazz (bebop and some contemporary stuff mostly), classical and some eclectic fusions of rock/jazz/classical as well as some hip hop breaks and a lot of vocal stuff (ranging from opera to some more popish type music, so I do like my vocals). But more important I like my soundstage to be as massive as possible and for separation to be nice as well.
If I were to get these 'phones what amp should I use with them? And does the DAC I use matter that much? If I got them I was considering either the Matrix M-Stage and some cheaper DAC or the Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1. I was favoring the D1 but then I read that it distorts the soundstage and perhaps fails to bring out the potential in them which would be greatly disappointing for me since it seemed like the ideal package for me. I need a good combo (separate or combined) that really brings out the potential without being too pricey (around $200 would be best).

Also what's the difference between k701 and k702? Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

K702 just has a detachable cable and comes in black. I've owned all 3 and my favorite by far is the Q701. It's also nearly the same price as the rest. Check around on Amazon looking for Amazon Warehouse deals and you might be able to score a pair for around $224. That's what I paid for mine.

If you want an even larger soundstage with better mids, check into the K501. It's hard to find though and will run about $200 unless you get lucky. The K702/Q701 does do a few things better though. More detail and a clearer sound.

Matrix M-stage is supposed to be good, but I haven't tried it yet.

For vocals..Q701 is good, but not great. K501 is far better for vocals to me. For female vocals I actually think I prefer the HD-650, but wouldn't take it over the K702.

BTW if you want a very large soundstage, don't get the HD-600 or HD-650.

Have you checked into the HD-598? It's soundstage is huge and does extremely well for female vocals and any kind of pop music. It's also a little cheaper and not as difficult to amp.

Nov 4, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #3 of 49
 The L701s don't do too well with vocals. I have heard good things about the Q701s (@tdockweiler) and was considering getting them myself, so as much as I haven't heard them, I've done a fair bit of research.
 They have slightly warmer mids than the K701s, and more "natural sounding." Their soundstage is smaller than the K701s, not quite as substantial, and they truly do need the right amp to shine/ good amping overall. That's all I can remember off the top of my head.

Nov 4, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #4 of 49
Tdoc said the right things, I think he is a real expert for AKG! I can only say that I much preferred the sound of AKG K500/501 (better soundstage, more open and natural midrange, certainly much more pleasant for me as a whole compared to the 701 and I also spent half the money!) that of K701.

Personally, I can not stand Sennhaiser, but if Tdoc says to try the 598 .... I'd listen to his advice!

Nov 4, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #5 of 49
Yea, I'm definitely not considering HD 600 or 650 mostly because it's a little out of my price range. I've actually thought about HD 598's and I do intend to get them eventually, but for now I prefer soundstage a bit more over everything else, albeit mids do matter to me, as long as they are good and not completely cold, I'm ok with more of an analytical sound. Also, it sounds to me like there's a difference between K701 and Q701? Am I right to assume this? If so, what's the difference? It seemed purely like an aesthetic difference to me.

Nov 4, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #6 of 49
From what I heard (very little of the K701 and the Q701), it basically goes like this. K702 = K701 but Q701 has a little more bass than the K702. The rest is looks and modular cable and easier cable upgrades.

Nov 4, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #7 of 49
Heya,

Considered a pair of used SRH940's? You won't even need an amp. Any decent DAC will do what you need. Keeps things cheap, gives you an amazingly comfortable, good sound stage, excellent for vocals/jazz closed back headphone.

Otherwise, the K702 may be what you want overall. You'll hear/read a lot about it being picky about DAC/AMP source. I found that to be basically internet 0.1% bias. I plugged my K701 into various sources and it was fine. I could barely tell the difference, and only if I critically listened. I couldn't tell when I was just listening to music. Sounded great from my Matrix Cube, sounded great from my Lyr, sounded great from two speaker receivers that I tried randomly just to see. The receivers sounded more muddy, which is to be expected, but otherwise, did ok. The Cube had plenty of power to push the K701's. You could go that route to avoid buying separate DAC/AMP and spending $500+ on that. A single Cube will do everything you need for like $250.

Another headphone for you to consider is the Beyer DT880 and the Audio Technica AD900. Or a used HD600.

Very best,

Nov 4, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #8 of 49
bah , K701/702 and Q701 just like allready said the detachable cable otherwise it's the same headphone but there is some fluctuations in the manufacturing process i gess . Some K702 will sound more like a K701 other more than a Q701 etc ... 

i have a K702 at  home and i am pleased with it , in tandem with à DT-880 Pro .

M-Stage work very well with K702 (had it) . 

Nov 4, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #9 of 49
Hmm didn't know much about SRH940, I'll definitely look into it, but for now I think my heart is set on K701/K702. Similarly with the Cube. I also lingered on the DT880s for a while, but then it didn't seem like it was close enough to the signature I want. What about Tubemagic D1? I don't I've read (at least not much) anywhere about trying it with K701. Although I've heard that the newer generation will have rolling tube The combo I was thinking was K701 with the D1.

And is it just me or do a lot of people have some sort transitory phase where they sorta liked K701/K702 but then sold it?

Anyhow, thanks a lot for the responses guys, I really appreciate it. Hopefully none of I what I've read about amp/DAC killing soundstage is true.

EDIT: Hmm, after reading some of the things you posted on the SRH940, it seems like a lovely set, especially since I agree with a lot about what you wanted from headphones and why you chose those. I might actually save up to get both the SRH940 and K701, one for portable use, one for home.

EDIT2: How well do any of these headphones handle electronica and house? I recently got in nu disco and house and was wondering if it's possible for any one of these cans to handle all these genres well. I figure it'd be pretty hard and I usually tend to large variety of genres when I listen to music so I might just have to a bunch of 'phones...

Nov 4, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #10 of 49
I really like the my Q701's on a Heed Canamp and Schiit LYR (russian tubes?) and fiio E10.  All of them are warm amps.

Nov 4, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #11 of 49

Quote:

And is it just me or do a lot of people have some sort transitory phase where they sorta liked K701/K702 but then sold it?

Anyhow, thanks a lot for the responses guys, I really appreciate it. Hopefully none of I what I've read about amp/DAC killing soundstage is true.

Could be - but I've had my 702's almost since they were released and don't consider selling them, mostly because of their extra-
large soundstage.  Plus I think they're great phones in general - and super comfortable as well.

EDIT: Hmm, after reading some of the things you posted on the SRH940, it seems like a lovely set, especially since I agree with a lot about what you wanted from headphones and why you chose those. I might actually save up to get both the SRH940 and K701, one for portable use, one for home.

In my view the AKG's are not what you want for portable use.  The 940? - possibly.  They're still plenty big, though.

EDIT2: How well do any of these headphones handle electronica and house? I recently got in nu disco and house and was wondering if it's possible for any one of these cans to handle all these genres well. I figure it'd be pretty hard and I usually tend to large variety of genres when I listen to music so I might just have to a bunch of 'phones...

electronica and house - what exactly do you want to hear in your headphones with respect to those genres?
What particular aspects of the music?
(For instance, neither the AKG nor the 940 are bottom heavy; though they both surely have enough for most)

Yep; like most of us you might just "have to" :) get a bunch of phones.  Happy shopping...

Nov 4, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #12 of 49
k701 are perfect for your type of music. umm most dacs will work for them as long as the dac isn't overly analytical or thin sounding, else you might get that synthetic sound people talk about. however, with a good fun  sounding dac, they will sound great.

i love my k701's 
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #13 of 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazex /img/forum/go_quote.gif

electronica and house - what exactly do you want to hear in your headphones with respect to those genres?
What particular aspects of the music?
(For instance, neither the AKG nor the 940 are bottom heavy; though they both surely have enough for most)

Well I'm not expecting some crazy deep bass I just want a decent enough impact. For instance in classical the double bass has to be strong enough to support and harmonize with the music but yet still create that signature euphoric deep hum. Not like a BOOOOM, but more like a booooooommmm and sometimes a Boom Boom Boom lol.

Nov 4, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #14 of 49
^ I like the way you describe bass. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 5, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #15 of 49
I recently bought e k702 n nearly sold it after 2 weeks when i bought a pair of ath-m50. Bass of akg was too littlr at lower vol. When i craned up e vol, e bass is axtually deep n substaintial. But e highs became too piercing. After abt 100 hhours, e highs are more relax n now i can listen at higher vol n get deep bass that u can follow n not just boomy.
Regarding amping, akg did well using r ld mk3 and cayin ha-1a. But on tomahawk n pd xm-4, e bass aint as deep. Still sound great though.
Now, i already put up e m50 for sale cos e akg is so pleasing that i hardly wanna touch e m50

Users who are viewing this thread

Back