Configuring the Mac for 24-bit Audio?
Aug 7, 2008 at 6:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Ruahrc

100+ Head-Fier
I was messing around with trying to listen to some 24-bit FLAC files earlier on my mac and had some questions.

1) I downloaded some 24-bit FLACs off of the live music archive (www.archive.org).

2) tried playing them in VLC- when compared to the 16-bit FLAC files they are super quiet. What's the reason? Anyone else see this trouble when playing 24-bit FLACs on their macs? I'm running VLC 0.8.6i on a Powerbook G4 running Leopard.

3) dug around online to try to solve (2) and came across the following:
VLC for Mac - Setup Guide - Benchmark
It says that you must ensure to set the correct bit rate and sampling frequency using the OS X Audio MIDI Setup utility in order to get the correct output- else the operating system will resample your audio and thus degrading quality.

Does this mean that if it is not manually set to the proper bit depth and sampling frequency that resampling will occur? Does this apply to ALL audio on the mac- including digital output, headphone output direct from the laptop, and built in/connected speakers? If so, this is a big hassle is it not- since you have to manually select the proper settings for each file you play? And what if you don't know the settings?

I have not seen any mention of this on head-fi before, and since the search function apparently doesn't have an "AND" operator (or at least I can't figure out how to use it), searching for "Audio Midi Setup" gives back like a million results.

Anybody know anything about this?

Ruahrc

Aug 7, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #2 of 6
Take a look at this:

OS X Audio Playback - Setup Guide - Benchmark

It will help you get familiar with the midi panel if you haven't already. My default was set at 44.1 24bit.

And also give Cog a try for audio playback (flac support).

Cog - News

Also... are you using the built-in line out or a USB dac? The USB dac will limit you to 16bit.

Edit: Sorry I didn't click on your link before answering. Your link links to my link. :p I will give some of those 24bit flacs a try and compare.

Aug 7, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #3 of 6
So if I understand it correctly I should set the output in the Audio MIDI panel to 24bits (if available) regardless of what my source files are, and then select the sample rate to match my source, correct?

When I made the original post yesterday I (possibly mistakenly) thought that I had to change these settings around every time I wanted to play a different kind of source media (CD, MP3, 24-bit FLAC, etc) as they all have different bitrate and sampling frequencies.

I'll give Cog a try and see if it's the FLAC files or VLC. I did see someone mention somewhere that it was a problem with the FLAC format- or it might have been a problem with VLC playing 24-bit FLACs.

Ruahrc

Update: Looks like the 24-bit FLACs have proper volume when played in Cog- it must be a VLC thing.

Aug 7, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #4 of 6
Ruahrc I think that sadly you are right.

I am pretty sure that Core Audio on OS X is giving us playback at 24bits by default. But at least it's not resampling 44.1 to 48 which gives a kind of muddy sound.

I guess it's worth a listening test to see if any differences can be heard.

Anyway glad to hear that the problem was most likely some bug with VLC. Cog has worked nicely for me and I use it more than iTunes these days.

Aug 8, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #6 of 6
The thing is that my music is on my PC so I just drag whatever folder I want to listen to over to Cog. I've always had my music in folders.

My fiancee uses the iMac the most out of us and she has all her music in iTunes.

And if I every really want to have my music in iTunes I could just convert my flacs to alacs and import them.

But yeah... the playlists... especially smart playlists are too good to pass up.

edit: spelling

Users who are viewing this thread

Back