Confessions of the "speaker dumb"--component matching?
Aug 19, 2008 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ComfyCan

500+ Head-Fier
O.k., I admit it. I don't know anything at all about speakers or component matching for that matter. My journey into quality audio has been strictly headphone oriented thus far.

But, I have a new turntable coming and just ordered a new set of speakers. (Wharfedale Diamond 9.1, 75th anniversary ltd. edition). I am half-heartedly shopping for a dedicated preamp with phonostage & power amp--or a better integrated unit, but right now I'm just using a vintage Sansui 771 receiver to perform all of these functions. It performed well enough with my Marantz 6100 TT before it died.

So, what variables do I look at to to see if the speakers "should" play well with this receiver (or new products that I may investigate)?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Aug 20, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #2 of 11
It's really no different than matching headphone components. Does the end result please your ears? It's a lot of trial and error because now you have acoustics in play with a speaker system, so a system that sounds bright in one room can sound dull in another.

Aug 20, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #4 of 11
Take my word for it, concentrate on room treatment before you get all crazy about the front-end... Bass traps, diffusers, etc. will impact sound more than an amp, IME. I'm NOT saying the front end isn't important, I'm just saying treating the room will impact things more profoundly.

Aug 30, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #5 of 11
First question....If you're in USA, HOW the heck did u manage to get a pair of Wharfedale...been looking for these budget giant killers for ages before I got my Ascend sierra.

For amp....other people might have diff ways. But from my own exp, I'd get an amp that does 1.5 to x2 the max handling of power for the speakers. The Diamond is 86dB, which is abit low, w/ handling of 100w @ 6ohm. I'd get something like a 150w@8ohm amp, which is the most common type out there in solid state. Full tube gear w/ 100w-300w are hard/expensive to come by.

Manufacturer stated power is extreme conservative because if users have a cheapo amp clipping the speakers and fry it, the warranty kicks in. So if the amp is clean power, x2 should be the minimal to actually drive the speakers to a normal sound level, w/ optimal SQ.

Some people w/ really highend components are using 150-200 full tube amp to drive a high eff. speakers (95 to 100dB), w/ incredible results. Clean power will never destroy the speakers, it'd only give you abit more headroom.

As for preamp, a decent tube preamp w/ phono are everywhere. After having tube pre-stage, you'd never go back.

Aug 31, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #6 of 11
Sep 1, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #8 of 11
No amount of component matching is going to correct for the room. You need to attend to room treatment and equalization if you want to get the most out of your speakers.

See ya
Steve

Sep 3, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #9 of 11
Sadly, there's not much I can do about room treatment. This is my office rig, and there's only so much I can get away with (and I'm already "pushing the envelope" on that one).

I could get an equalizer though. That's something nobody ever seems to talk about anymore. I've never really owned a good one, but I could see an equalizer being a handy tool indeed. I have way too many CD's that sound like crap (due to sloppy mastering), and I assume that an equalizer could make listening a little more enjoyable.

Any thoughts on a reasonably priced equalizer?

Thanks.

Sep 3, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #10 of 11
Analogue equalizers are less expensive than digital ones. I have a 31 band Rane graphic equalizer and I'm very happy with it.

See ya
Steve

Sep 3, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComfyCan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks to everyone who replied, but particularly btblue--that's exactly the kind of explanation I was hoping for.

As for the Wharfedales, there is a distributor that sells them on E-Bay called STO-Sound and Vision: eBay Store - STO Sound Vision: Bookshelf, Floorstanding, Surround

There is the main store of Sound&Vision at STO Sound & Vision Just so happens I'm 20 minutes from them and get all my audio gear there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back