Confession time..Your most useless upgrade?
Oct 30, 2005 at 2:48 PM Post #16 of 48
Wiring my Senn 580 directly into my amp. Figured it might offer a tiny improvement since it would eliminate some wires, solder joints, and the connectors themselves from the signal path. There was absolutely no difference.

Oct 30, 2005 at 3:12 PM Post #17 of 48
It must be my DIY power cable which I ordered from a Finnish DIY'er. It cost very little though but there's no audible difference compared to normal cables. Well at least it's better shielded.

Oct 30, 2005 at 3:27 PM Post #18 of 48
Lucky for me I tried my most useless upgrade for free. I tried the Cardas wooden blocks under my components and I honestly could hear no difference.

Oct 30, 2005 at 3:34 PM Post #19 of 48
Di Marzio Hi Def interconnects. No comparison to the MPaths and actually sound very dull.

Oct 30, 2005 at 4:30 PM Post #21 of 48
I obtained a Teac A-L700P pweramp sometime last year to use in my budget 2-channel speaker setup. Then I had to move and have never gotten around to using the amp. It's been sitting on the bottom shelf of my rack for about a year doing absolutely nothing now.

Oct 30, 2005 at 4:31 PM Post #22 of 48
Cardas RCA caps.

rcacaps.jpg

But, they do add some style points to the back of my components.

Oct 30, 2005 at 5:21 PM Post #23 of 48
The RCA caps do add much needed bling to any piece of equipment... Too bad they don't come in diamond encrusted!

The worst for me is probably the Naim (I think) distribution block... Sounded the same as a surge protector in my system.

Oct 30, 2005 at 6:32 PM Post #24 of 48
If it’s an Upgrade can it be useless?

Sorry I’m just being obtuse.

My most useless purchase that I had hoped would be an upgrade was a Behringer Ultra-Curve Pro DSP8024 Graphic/Parametric EQ – Analyzer room correction unit. It did what it claimed it would. I gained a flat frequency response, and lost the world. It was truly awful! It was a lesson in how to change a great high end system into a great mid-fi system.

The other all time boner was buying the HD-650’s, but that’s beating a dead horse.

Oct 30, 2005 at 7:10 PM Post #26 of 48
My first-gen Total Airhead didn't make as much difference as I'd hoped, though it did provide better volume control and slightly better bass/fullness.

I also bought a Cardas mini-to-mini interconnect to use with said TA. I didn't notice any improvement in the sound, though it wasn't completely useless since my parents' puppy chewed up the stock interconnect. So being able to use the amp again was useful, even if not an "upgrade".

I also built myself an Ety 4P->S adapter. Didn't notice much difference from it, but I also think that's at least partly because I haven't got especially impressive source and amplification. It was cheap to build, at least.

Oct 30, 2005 at 8:17 PM Post #27 of 48
MINT amp.

Gotta say though that it would have been worth it if I had the HF-1s back then. They sound scratchy without amp. With any other headphone (RS-1 included) it's just not worth it.

Oct 30, 2005 at 8:57 PM Post #28 of 48
Zu Birth PC. Couldnt tell a difference between it and a crappy stock power cable...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back