Concierto de Aranjuez - which version to buy?
Jan 19, 2010 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Jubei

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm a big Miles Davis fan and although Sketches of Spain ain't my favorite Miles album, I find the music mesmerizing. Thus, I'm rather curious as to what Joaquín Rodrigo's original Concierto de Aranjuez sounds like ... wouldn't mind having some Spanish guitar either as I don't think I have any in my CD collection.

So the question is which version (i.e. performance) to get? Thanks in advance.

Jan 19, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #3 of 19
Jan 19, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #4 of 19
Might you be interested in the version by the Modern Jazz Quartet with the guitarist Laurindo Almeida? It's on Collaboration, a pretty straightforward disc that treats it more like chamber music. It's interesting to hear it in a non-orchestral setting.

albumcoverModernJazzQuartet-LaurindoAlmeida-Collaboration.jpg

Jan 19, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #5 of 19
I'm a big fan of the performance with Siegfried Behrend on guitar, and the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Reinhard Peters, recorded in 1960 for Deutsche Grammophon (DG 139 166). The guitar playing is so passionate, yet relaxed, and the sound so colorful and alive. Just a wonderful performance and recording. I have the LP and a couple CD versions of this performance, and they all sound great, though for CD I prefer the release below ... but might be getting hard to find now. The Aranjuez part is also on the cheap Weekend Guitar series, which also sounds great, but is packaged with a Yepes performance of some Isaac Albéniz stuff I don't care for ... http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f9/loo...ml#post3208238

7b8871a88da0f30077a9e110.L.jpg

Jan 19, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #6 of 19
kazuhito yama****a's recording is imo the best recording

the head-fi word censor blocks the synonym for poop

Amazon.com: Rodrigo: Concierto de Aranjuez / Castelnuovo-Tedesco: Guitar Concerto No.1 (rec. 1979): Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco, Joaquin Rodrigo, Shigenobu Yamaoka, Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra, Kazuhito Yama****a: Music

you can probably find it cheaper as the one i linked to is an import copy

if you want a rhythmically accurate recording, you can listen to paco de lucia's recording of the concerto

Jan 19, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #7 of 19
My favorite by far is the Mercury Living Presence Featuring the Romero's. The SACD is exceptional, but it's becoming tough to find. Collectors pay hundreds of dollars for certain vinyl pressings. Right now the CD is listed on ebay (new) for less than $9.

If you have a SACD player I consider this disc one of the few must have discs.

Rodrigo, Vivaldi: Concertos / The Romeros, Alessandro, Et Al | ArkivMusic

537825.jpg

Jan 19, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #8 of 19
John Williams for technical prowness and Karin Schaupp for beauty. Two of the best classical guitarisst who have ever lived.

Jan 19, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John Williams for technical prowness and Karin Schaupp for beauty. Two of the best classical guitarisst who have ever lived.

How funny you mention JW John. I'm listening to him playing the Bach Lute Suites right now. I think he was only 19 when this performance was taped.

As for Aranjuez, Eduardo Fernandez is one of my favorite performers of this piece.

Jan 20, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #11 of 19
Jan 20, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headdie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know that Paco de Lucia has recorded it. I'd like to hear Paco playing it !

He certainly has. I am listening to it right now and it is wonderful.

Jan 20, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by St3ve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He certainly has. I am listening to it right now and it is wonderful.

imo i don't really like the rhythmically stringent way he plays it

true he's the only one who's recorded it that way but to me it just sounds off

apparently its rodrigo's favorite version though

Jan 20, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My favorite by far is the Mercury Living Presence Featuring the Romero's. The SACD is exceptional, but it's becoming tough to find. Collectors pay hundreds of dollars for certain vinyl pressings. Right now the CD is listed on ebay (new) for less than $9.

If you have a SACD player I consider this disc one of the few must have discs.

Rodrigo, Vivaldi: Concertos / The Romeros, Alessandro, Et Al | ArkivMusic

537825.jpg

Second the recommendation of The Romeros version. The SACD is marvelous.

Jan 20, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headdie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Narciso Yepes is the reference for me.

x2

Deutsche Grammophon, 139 440

yepesaranjuez.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back