concert DVD audio is muddy with wmp....is there a better alternative
Mar 9, 2013 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jonbmet

100+ Head-Fier
I've grown tired of the hassle involved with attending concerts and also the bad sound of so many venues near me...so I've started a collection of concert DVDs. I've noticed when watching DVDs through windows media player that the sound quality comes and goes. I recently purchased a DVD that is affected by this so much I stopped watching after only a few minutes. I've looked around on the net and head fi but just find 'dvd ripping software' or other players that don't promise any better audio than what I currently have.

Is there a DVD software player comparable to foobar as far as audio is concerned?

Mar 9, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #2 of 7
The most popular open source video player is VLC player. Don't know if it will solve your problems, but it's free to try.

Mar 9, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #3 of 7
VLC is definitely an improvement. The audio is still not awesome compared to lossless in foobar (but maybe it can't be on dvd?) Atleast it doesn't fade in and out like WMP.  Ironically VLC improves audio playback, but the video quality is degraded versus WMP. Obviously, the audio is more important.

Is there a foobar comparable dvd software?

Mar 9, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #5 of 7
I'm not sure how to use them either. Experimented and set deinterlaced to 'automatic' and set the deinterlaced mode to 'blend' under the video drop down settings. Video is as good or better than WMP now. Played around with the EQ a little too.

Mar 9, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #6 of 7
If I'm not mistaken, a lot of multi channel audio on DVDs is lossy. If there's a 2 channel audio track, then it can be lossless. Might look into that before stressing too much more about getting that same sound.

Mar 9, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #7 of 7
Don't know why that didn't occur to me. Stupid multi-channel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back