Concerns about the safety of IEMs. Long-term wearers, what are your experiences?
Mar 21, 2013 at 3:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

acti0n

100+ Head-Fier
I've been considering switching from full-sized cans to IEMs, but I have a few concerns:

Ear Wax
I'm worried that using IEMs will result in ear wax getting pushed deeper into my ears, causing it to accumulate there. Is this something IEM wearers commonly have to deal with? If so, does using a shallow-fit IEM make a difference? Are there any precautions you take?

Ear Infections
If I search these forums for "ear infection", the majority of posts come from the portable section. What precautions do you take to prevent this? Do you avoid letting the tips come in contact with your desk and other surfaces?

Tinnitus
Again, most of the posts here regarding tinnitus are in this forum. Even though IEMs isolate better and allow you to listen at much lower levels, is the risk of tinnitus higher simply due to the nature of the fit?

Shallow vs Deep
Does the deepness of the fit affect the above risks?

Long-term wearers, I would appreciate any input regarding the above concerns and your personal experiences.

Mar 21, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #2 of 3
IEMs probably don't help the accumulation of ear wax, and as someone who spends way too much time with earphones and has had impacted earwax more than once I think the number one thing that can help is hydrogen peroxide. When I get blocked ears, using that to clean my ears (there are probably guides online) works better than anything else, and even before I get blocked ears, I'll clean my ears with it about once every month or so. Since I started doing this years ago I've had absolutely no problems with ear wax.

Ear infections I think come mostly due to impacted ear wax causing build ups of bacteria in the canal and eustachian tube. Sorting out the ear wax problem means you don't really have to worry about infections so much.

As for tinnitus, I don't know, and to be honest I worry about it myself. I know how bad tinnitus can be, and as someone who has spent hours daily since I was 9 using ear buds or iems I am probably a prime candidate. I make sure whenever I feel any kind of ache, build up of pressure, or just after  long time using iems, to take them out and give my ears a rest for a long while. Not sure if it helps, but I think it's wise not to assume there aren't dangers.

I think the deeper insertion probably would increase problems. Ear wax moves out of the ear by being pushed out by the skin surface very gradually. You might be pushing it back in by using iems, but then again, if you don't have problems with ear wax then I don't really see how it would affect much - unless the ear bones are sensitive enough to be more vulnerable with nearer sound. In which case I would imagine volume plays a part, but I'm no expert, just a wild guess.

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #3 of 3
The only problem i encountered with universal iems is that when i inserted the iem too deep, the eartips were stuck and i had a doctor pull it out. Traumatic experience. And yea, it hurts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back