Concerning the XP-7...
Dec 11, 2003 at 6:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

EyEPoD

100+ Head-Fier
... Well since i recieved my xp-7 a few weeks ago, I had been hearing a constant hiss when used with my Shure E5's. This was not specific to the xp-7, but I have talked to several people who have had similar experiences (not just with the shures, but also other sensitive phones like the CD3ks when used with the xp-7).

Hoping to remedy this problem, and after getting a hint from lindrone that he heard no hiss when using the HR-2, I decided to swap in the op amps that are used in the standard HR-2 config.

Markl also recommended this, but moreso as a musical preference alteration. I never had any issues with the sound of the xp-7, just the hissing factor.

Well I can say that my xp-7 is now dead silent. This alone takes my shures to a new level (I can listen to symphonies and piano now hehe). But not only does it fix my hissing concern, but exactly as Markl mentioned, It greatly improves the sound representation IMO.

For those of you who have heard the shures, if you can believe this, the soundstage actually gows a bit along with the overall fullness. To me it seems like it blends the lower and mid ranges better than before (doesnt feel quite as bottom heavy). In general it feels a bit warmer in tone as well.

Now these are just initial impressions, as the op amps just came today. Ill let you guys know my final impressions in a couple days.

Dec 11, 2003 at 8:22 AM Post #3 of 47
tortie,

I purchased mine from Newark inOne www.newarkinone.com ... though I had a rough time dealing with them at first. It took them almost 2 weeks to ship it out, at which point I emailed them with my complaint and they rectified the problem by shipping overnight and refunding the shipping cost (which i have to admit was awful nice of them).

getting a bit off topic...
Ray has them in stock, just send him an email or pm, hes such a great person to do business with.

On another subject.
Out of curiosity I decided to check out markl's review after I came to some conclusions about my op amp rolling. He really sums it up beautifully. So check out his review for a much more accurate portrayal of what to expect.

Dec 11, 2003 at 8:25 AM Post #4 of 47
crap i forgot to mention this,

(you will know this if you read markl's review or if youve opened up the xp-7)

You need to order 2 ad797s as to replace the 2 ad825s that are stock.

Also, I have some more op amps on their way to me, so ill let you know my impressions when i recieve them as well.

Dec 11, 2003 at 9:20 AM Post #5 of 47
Ok. That would be great!
biggrin.gif

edit: BTW what kind of batteries are you using?

Dec 11, 2003 at 9:22 PM Post #8 of 47
Glad you found something that works with the E5 as well... and now I'm even more sure that the HR-2 would be perfect for me.. hehehehe..

Thanks for looking into this issue though, it does open up some new knowledge for those people who has been having amp problems with the E5 and other Shure earphones.

Dec 11, 2003 at 9:22 PM Post #9 of 47
mariowar,

Well as I mentioned, my reason for op amp rollinng was solely an attempt to eliminate the hiss.

But...

Since hearing the audible differences, I decided to try both om amps with my soon to go etys
frown.gif
and my beyer dt250s. The overal feeling I get with the ad797s is that music just feels warmer, everything just seems to flow with an almost liquid-like presentation. Its a much more relaxing and far more enjoyable listening experience (with all 3 phones) IMO. It has made the etys more acceptable for my music preferences, but still doesnt come close in terms of fulless. It does, though, pull back the high end, so it wont feel quite as bright.

I feel, though, there is an especially interesting synergy with the E5s. The bass feels alot more controlled and more accurate. The bass seems to go deeper, but at the same time, is less overwhelming that before.

I have been testing all kinds of music and I prefer the ad797s in almost all cases. Those that like metal and hard rock would probably disagree as this warmer feeling also seems slower. Zeppelin and Skynyrd are as far as I go in that department, and have no problems with their sound.

Dec 11, 2003 at 9:25 PM Post #10 of 47
Im sure the Hr-2 would be amazing.

...if only i had some sort of portable generator

Dec 17, 2003 at 7:47 PM Post #12 of 47
Does the XP-7 run off of two 9V's? I've been to the site that sells it (unless there is more than one) but it didn't have hardly any information about the amp.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 17, 2003 at 8:44 PM Post #13 of 47
Pikawel, go to :

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/mariowar@sbcglobal.net

then, my documents, the first 6 files are pics of my amp....

Here it's all the info you need abou the amp:Emmeline XP-7 info
HI All,

"XP-7 amp from Ray Samuels

The Emmeline XP-7 Headphone Amp is a true dual mono design. It has the simplest and purest circuitry. No caps in the signal path. All signal traces and power lanes are separated by solid grounds. Both of the PC brds, amp and power supply, have military specs with the highest quality dual sited FR4 material with 2oz pure copper oxygen free. No wires are found in this design, as all components are located in their respected places and soldered directly on the PC brds. Polypropylene is extensively used across every electric caps to smoothen the DC supply. Components are located in the proper place to minimize noise and cut signal paths to shortest possible. The IC Sockets are of the highest quality available in the industry gold pins and sockets for better conductivity with op-amp pins. This gives the XP-7 the capability to roll op-amps. Both PC brds are hand soldered with military solder and temperature controlled station. Boards are chemically cleaned from all solder residue and polish. The full size noble pot is hand selected and matched between left and right channels for ohmage and tracking. High quality RCA connectors and headphone jack are implemented. As to the battery pack, it is a state of the art compartment. No snap on wires are involved. Batteries are house in the amp without carrying them around in an external container. Using high quality batteries, the XP-7 gives more then 30-35 hrs of enjoyable music, without sacrificing sound quality. The chassis is custom designed for the XP-7 with high quality black anodized aluminum and knob. It is silver silk screened with good art work and shielded from RF noise through DC ground. The DC connector on the amp and the plug on the power supply DC cable are new in the industry. Its quality and size, is the best choice for this amp. The power supply is one of the well thought of in both design and structure. High quality toroidal power transformer PC brd mountable, with dual primary and dual secondary is implemented. It could be wired to handle both 120 AC volt or to 220 AC volts. Each secondary output has its own full wave rectifier. Again each rectification stage is bypassed by a polypropylene caps to smooth the DC. 2 adjustable regulators are used to tweak the voltage to .01 of a volt accuracy between + and - 12 volts. The custom made power supply chassis has the same size and quality of workmanship as the amp chassis’. It is black anodized with a beautiful faceplate. It is AC ground shielded and has detachable AC cord capability. An umbilical cable 6-8 inches long with three 18 AWG wires, and military specs are used to transfer the power between the 2 chassis. Both amp and power supply are burned in for a 100hrs prier to shipping.

Sounds impressive, eh!"

Todd

Dec 17, 2003 at 10:39 PM Post #14 of 47
30-35 Hours? My Lord! My META only gets 9 1/2. No, the battery life isn't the only thing that stuck out but... ok ok ok, it is. Wait, no it's not.

If I ever find a buyer for my META, heh, I could ALMOST justify the cost. I'll have one eventually but it's going to be within the near future
frown.gif

Man, the battery compartment, the board layout; everything is so clean!

I don't think I need to ask you how it compares to the Total Airhead. For the time I owned one of those, it was pretty evident music could be so much more and the META proved that. Did you ever compare it to any other amps?

Dec 17, 2003 at 11:32 PM Post #15 of 47
No, I just compared it side by side to the Total Airhead and it blows it out of the water. What I can tell you because I've heard numerous amps is that it match the punchiness and high en sound of several over 1000 dollars desktop amps and additionaly, it is well known for several headfiers that there is absolutely NO difference in sound when you listen to it with or without the power supply(batteries).
By the way if you ever thought that my pics look good, take a look to this ones......

PD. I don't have the power supply, it doesn't make a difference in sound and I loose portability that is the main reason I bought this amp.

https://home.comcast.net/~blackwood.john/new_page_1.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back