Concept/Question: Using a HT Receiver as a DAC, having both 5.1 and headphones at the same time, Virtual Sound Device?
Jan 19, 2015 at 6:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Edwii

Head-Fier
Here's my Idea/Question: 
I have all my audio going to my HT receiver (which is 7.1) via HDMI. I only have 5.1 speakers, leaving two rear channels unused. 
If a virtual sound device / program could run in windows and be configured to use only the unused channels, you could effectively use a HT as a headphone DAC and a 5.1 Reciever at the same time.
From what I understand, HT receivers have quite good DAC's in them any way, so why not use them right? 

Is there software out there that can create this configuration?
Any one out there want to make a program like this? lol.

Jan 19, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #2 of 11
I'm a little confused by your question. Are you suggesting figuring out how to wire your headphones to the unused rear channels via speaker taps?

Jan 19, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #3 of 11
I'm a little confused by your question. Are you suggesting figuring out how to wire your headphones to the unused rear channels via speaker taps?

No the HT has preout rca's that would work fine for a signal to a headphone amp. 

This is a question about the programing end of things.

Jan 19, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #5 of 11
So my pc is connected to the HT via HDMI. 
The HDMI port is consider a single audio device by the pc. It can be configured to send 2.1 or 5.1 or 7.1. 
I only use 5.1, which means the 7.1 channels are not in use. 
If there is program that could configure a virtual driver/audio device, to selectively use only the rear 7.1 channels, it would be like having a separate audio device/source just for headphones and one for 5.1, two DACs in one. 
Make sense?

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #9 of 11
The Receiver dosent, the pc can and would.   
When connected to the PC, the HT acts not unlike a power amp, the pc acts like the switcher telling which channels to use.

I've never heard of a receiver that outputs the rear channels only to the headphone jack.

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #10 of 11
I've never heard of a receiver that outputs the rear channels only to the headphone jack.

I see where you are confused. 
The HT's headphone jack is not part of this hypothetical set up. 
We would go PC HDMI ---> HT's rca preouts---> Separate Headphone Amp(like a Schiit Magni) ---> Headphones

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #11 of 11
OK.

Good luck. Might be some really expensive pro audio sound mixing program that can do that. I'd probably find a pro audio and video editing forum and ask how to add a 2 channel music source onto a 5.1 source for 7.1 output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back