Computer vs. iPod sound quality
Sep 19, 2010 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

stratowhammy

Head-Fier
I have played most of my audio from my macbook via optical to a ZERO DAC/AMP to a dot I+ hybrid, but I just plugged a RCA to 3.5mm into my pocket dock directly from my iPod into my Little Dot I+ amp and I compared the sound quality between the two, and I was surprised to find that my iPod's sound quality outperformed my computer's SPDIF AND DAC.  Have other people had this experience?  Do my components just suck, is that why an iPod outperforms my computer and dac?

Sep 20, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #2 of 4
Maybe it has something to do with the iTunes sound enhancer? It may be on. Also the equaliser can compress music to prevent it from clipping, but i assume you do not use it. Other than that, every device has it's own signature, it may be that the ipod matches yours better.

Sep 20, 2010 at 9:01 AM Post #3 of 4
thats interesting.... yeah, i was using amarra with no eq or sound enhancer on... but i guess its possible that my iphone 3gs just matches my little dot I+ better than the whole rig.  I thought it might have to do with few intermediaries between the source and my ears.

Sep 21, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #4 of 4
You take your ipod too lightly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back