Computer vs dedicated sources
May 6, 2005 at 11:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

audiophile_ltu

New Head-Fier
Hello. I'm a new forum member from Lithuania. I have some questions about audio sources. Maybe someone knows some links where I could read some reviews (or comparison tests) between computer-as-source vs. dedicated sources speaking about sound quality (concrete examples), just for interest. I would be thankful for links.

The main thing is that I am thinking about buying Creative SB Audigy 2 as a computer source for music, some movies and gaming. Now I am using cheap Panasonic DVD-RV31 dedicated dvd player as music and video source, but I see that it is much more convenient to keep all the music in computer (I am not scared of almost any software problems), and even with the integrated Realtek ALC650 "board", music doesn't sound much worse than my dvd player. So I think that SB Audigy 2 should sound not worse or maby better than Panasonic, if I'd use WMA Lossless and Wav. So my main question is for those, who tried (or still uses) Audigy 2. Could I get better music quality using Audigy 2 instead of cheap mass-market dvd players? Maybe someone made some comparisons by theirselves?
The card would be used with some unusual equipment as Soundwave PA700 preamp, Soundwave MA700 power amp, "modded" Jamo e350 speakers and old but good Pioneer SE-305 headphones.

Thank You for Your ideas about this topic, and I'm sorry for my bad English.

May 6, 2005 at 12:07 PM Post #2 of 9
That all depends on your budget. I think dedicated source are probably better if youve got some serious money to invest. A computer rig with a good DAC will sound better than CD players up to 2000USD ive heard tho.

May 6, 2005 at 12:39 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiophile_ltu
Thank You for Your ideas about this topic, and I'm sorry for my bad English.

Your English is excellent... believe me when I say that there are many native speakers who couldn't articulate/type nearly as well.

As for the topic... I think it's a matter of convenience and flexibility. A computer source will go a long way in giving your more control over how and when you listen, especially if you have a large music library. On sound quality, it probably does lose out to specific-purpose dedicated sources, though at the top range (a carefully setup system with an high-end external DAC, or something along those lines), the difference is (supposedly) quite minute.

So it's a tradeoff... and one that many of us have felt is worth it. My enjoyment of music these days is almost exclusively confined to my computer and my iPod.

As for the Audigy2, I think it's over villianified around these parts. It's not designed to be a hi-fi soundcard, and for what it's supposed to do (provide good 3D effects in games), it does a pretty splendid job. If you can live with that (and if you're fine with onboard audio, chances are good you can), it'll serve your needs just fine. Especially if those needs involve gaming.

~KS

May 6, 2005 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 9
I agree about the audigy 2 being ok, I myself may have come down on it when I first got my EMU, but its kind of like a new RX-8 is a bad car just because a new Ferrari is faster(weird anaolgy :p). The Audigy is great for gaming I don't think anyone will argue, and after resampling sounds good for music, not as good as the EMU but not horrible.

May 6, 2005 at 10:34 PM Post #5 of 9
Thank You for your opinions, and if I may, I'd like to ask another question about resampling. I don't understand one thing - what is the difference between Creative Audigy 2 resampling to 48kHz and ,for example, any of many Hi-end CD players which resample too? Why it is good for dedicated players, but not so good with audigy speaking about resampling?

May 6, 2005 at 10:37 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiophile_ltu
Thank You for your opinions, and if I may, I'd like to ask another question about resampling. I don't understand one thing - what is the difference between Creative Audigy 2 resampling to 48kHz and ,for example, any of many Hi-end CD players which resample too? Why it is good for dedicated players, but not so good with audigy speaking about resampling?

Apparently the resampling quality of the Audigy is really terrible, so it's recommended to do it in software instead.

May 7, 2005 at 5:36 AM Post #7 of 9
I had an Audigy 2ZS card until 2 weeks ago, and I also have a toshiba SE-130E DVD player.

I have tested them for many hours. I found out the DVD sounds better while playing both audio cds and mp3s when the sound card is using default settings.

after I switched the cable that connected the audigy and the tube amp to a better one, used winamp 5 with ASIO and a better input plugin, and set the volume control as shown in the RMAA site, the audigy sounded very similar to the DVD.

sometimes the audigy sounded better, and smetimes worse. drprnding on the files I was listening to.

edit:
BTW,
what would you call a good dedicated source?!
heres something very interesting I have found out not long ago.
my friend has a 150$ LG DVD palyer, and a friend of his has an 8000$ CDP. they have desided to compare them to each other. the whole system had montana speakers and I dont remmember exactly what else. surprisinglt, non of them and non of the other people sitting in the room were able to tell for certain what source was playing each time!! its a 150$ DVDP vs. an 8000$ CDP!

the thing is that you cant really make a bad source, you can just make it sound differently than you like. making a "transperant" CDP isnt too hard. you just have to find a source that has a sound signature to your liking while using your system.

p.s.
I am currently using an EMU 1212M, and it sound better than the DVD, his only problem is driving my A900s, its better than the audigy, and almost as good as my friends HA1, but not good enought for me.

May 8, 2005 at 12:11 AM Post #8 of 9
Hey.. welcome another lithuanian member
wink.gif
. I would advise to stay with the computer and buy a good sound card. I would not recomend Audigy, cause previously I had a Sb Live 5.1 (I think it sounds similar to audigy, as of short time I heard audigy with moderate headphones), and now I own Emu 0404, sound quality difference is really noticeble, for gaming I use onboard sound (nVidia soundstorm) plugged into emu's line in ( I don't use surround, just old plain stero
smily_headphones1.gif
), and I'm really happy with my setup. Everything depends on money You are ready to spend on new audio gear. I know that it is hard to get anything here in Lithuania, but I guess some shop is selling M-Audio gear.
Everything further is written in native language
smily_headphones1.gif

Zodziu jei tave kas placiau domina, atsiusk man zinute, gal galesiu kuom padetim, nes irgi turejau panasia problema ir esu gana daug ta tema domejesis.. Iki.

May 8, 2005 at 4:24 PM Post #9 of 9
After some thinking I decided to buy Audigy 2 Value for video, compressed music and games (computer stuff), and I got decent Marantz CD player. I think it will be better source for 2ch. music listening. Thank You for all opinions and ideas in this topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back