Computer vs. CD Player as Source
Jan 12, 2005 at 5:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

rogerlee

Head-Fier
I will be using the computer as a source with an Emu 0404/1212m in the near future, but I was wondering about what those experienced with both expensive CD players and the relatively cheap alternative of the computer as source thought.

Wow, that was a long sentence. Okay:

Basically, is there a big difference? And how about with respect to cost efficiency?

Jan 12, 2005 at 6:35 AM Post #2 of 6
Assuming you already have a PC, that route is far more cost effective. The EMU cards have sound quality (when used properly) rivaling CDP's up to the $1K range. Generally, assuming you don't mind having the computer on and using the screen to navigate your collection, the PC is more convinient, since there is no need to hunt down CD's, or subject them to potential damage. The only potential advantages of CDP's are taking up less space, or being quieter (mechanically), however, the right kind of PC rig could nullify either of those points.

Jan 12, 2005 at 6:48 AM Post #3 of 6
I can understand why a PC would make sense as being your main source machine. But I am old school and don't like it. I suppose I could always try linking it to my DAC and see what kind of results I get.

Jan 12, 2005 at 9:33 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by rogerlee
Also, is there a really good hard-drive based source (non-computer)? Just wondering.

The optical out of the iriver H-120/140 is just great with a good DAC
580smile.gif

Jan 12, 2005 at 9:41 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by rogerlee
Also, is there a really good hard-drive based source (non-computer)? Just wondering.

This seems to be the developing market at the moment. In addition to your portables (iPod, iRiver), you've got manufacturers making HD based mini-systems and HD music servers. But while there is much discussion regarding the quality of portable DAPs, so far, not a whole lot of discussion on the sound quality of products such as the Sony HARLH500 (just a random selection, not like I'm recommending it).

I wish someone would come out with a great HD based transport. I've been using the digital out of my iRiver 140 to feed a Grace m902, but I dunno, initial impression, just doesn't seem to match the performance of a high-end transport.

Best,

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back