Computer use and eye soreness?
Mar 24, 2009 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Solid Snake

1000+ Head-Fier
So, lately I have been using the computer and as usual, my eyes were a little sore the next day.

I always keep the computer at least 4 feet away from my face and I generally keep a lamp behind me on which I think helps a little bit...but my eyes are still getting sore as I use the computer...

I have heard some techniques that can help with this problem like using artificial eyes drops, glasses with a light shade on them, a light behind the monitor....

So if you have similar problems like this, what do you guys do to prevent eye soreness?

Mar 24, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go out and just look around for a little every 30-60 minutes.

That's good for chair use ass soreness too.
ksc75smile.gif

Mar 24, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go out and just look around for a little every 30-60 minutes.

I try doing this, but at uni when we're writing damn matlab codes its just not doable because you get so caught up.

Mar 24, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I try doing this, but at uni when we're writing damn matlab codes its just not doable because you get so caught up.

Even if you can't get up it might help to just look around and focus on far away objects once in a while.

Mar 24, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh the time sink that is matlab. It can be as if not more frustrating then a new amp build, but so simple and beautiful when done right.

The only solution is taking a break every so often. Your eyes are sore because you are basically focusing on a light bulb for hours on end. Do like I do and take a beer break every so often during a big project.
beerchug.gif

Mar 24, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #9 of 15
I use some artifical tear drops when I feel my eyes have gone dry and feel sore. Not too often though. I also wear prescription computer use glasses, which have a special coating that definitely seems to help me with computer screens. They arent like those ridiculous glasses that featured on Gizmodo a while back, these are regular prescription glasses with the frame of your choice with some anti-glare coating (atleast thats what they called it).

Mar 24, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #10 of 15
Try changing your desktop theme (background, windows colors, etc) with more soothing or darker colors. Adjust your monitor's brightness and contrast accordingly.

Ensure your seating area is comfortable and proper: pay attention to your back, neck and head's position.

Plus the recommended breaks every 30-60 minutes.

Mar 24, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #11 of 15
oh yeah, that reminds me, I use the zune desktop theme for XP which is very dark with white text, I changed the windows background color (for the white background in explorer and such) from pure white to slightly dull white. Calibrated my monitor using QuickGamma.

Mar 24, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #12 of 15
Change your color scheme to a darker one. If you use a CRT make sure your refresh rate is at least above 60hz. 85hz is nice.
Other than that, take breaks every now and then.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Change your color scheme to a darker one. If you use a CRT make sure your refresh rate is at least above 60hz. 85hz is nice.
Other than that, take breaks every now and then.
smily_headphones1.gif

X2

Experiment with the warmness of the colour.

Mar 25, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #15 of 15
It matters not if your workspace/background/etc are bright or dark...what is important is that your environment and your monitor are at similar brightness levels...that is, there is little contrast between them. So, if your room is bright, work with a light workspace/background and a bright monitor. If your room is dark, use a dark background and monitor.

I have been using a computer >16 hours a day for the last 3 weeks (yes, really) writing code and papers. I get real eye strain about 1 day a week, and it is usually on the same days when I do a lot of reading as well (from printed papers or books).

Studies of eyesight in industrializing countries (like India, at the onset of literacy programs) showed that school children developed nearsightedness more often when they were put under long, continuous reading lessons. Better to take a 1-2 minute eye break, focusing on something far away, every 30 minutes, as others have suggested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back