computer upgrade advice
Jun 25, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #31 of 49
Those temps you see are rarely accurate though. If it doesn't crash then the temp is good no matter what it reads in the software. Run temp software and then go read it in the bios too and the temps are rarely the same.

Jun 25, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #32 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonkon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude, it seems to me you are not upgrading but getting a whole new system. You have been asking questions about processor, mobo, graphics card and a power supply. I also assume that you will be getting some memory as well.

Why don't you tell us what your current system is and how much you are planning to spend upgrading. If gaming is your main priority than a graphics card is the most important, the processor will not be your bottleneck. There is no game that a good C2D can not take, if you all ready have one there is no need to upgrade.

I have a C2D E8500 with 2 HD4850 in crossfire and there is no game that I cannot max out in 1920x1200 resolution. My power supply is a 450W and it works fine with 2 burner and 2 HD, don't let the industry fool you in needing 1000W.

I am not even overclocking the processor nor the graphics card, why not? I don't feel the need to do so, everything runs smooth so why risking avoiding the warranty for a few framerates? I understand if you are passionate about OC but at the end it is just not practical. I also had bad experiences back in the days busting my Geforce 4200 for a few extra points in 3d Mark. I might OC later on when my system feels limited by a game.

Conclusion, tell us your current system because getting the latest, fastest, biggest might not be the best route but certainly the most expensive one. OC is more like a passion or hobby than real practical solution. Why strain your system and void warranties when every game runs fine? Unless of course you enjoy running benchmarks everyday and want that few extra frame rates as well as few extra seconds less when unzipping your videos.
biggrin.gif

I agree with your sentiment but a 1kw PSU gives headroom, he may not need it but it's nice to be able to not have to worry about upgrading for a while.. especially if he's considering quad core and SLI high end Nvidia graphic cards, a lot of people have trouble because their PSU is too weak. My 620w PSU is boarder line for my Q6600 @ 3.2 and GTX295, recommend is a 670w psu for a single GTX 295.. thankfully Corsair rates them very conservatively. AFAIK higher watt psu won't actually draw that much unless it is demanded by the hardware.

C2D probably won't cause most modern games to run poorly but there are some that benefit from a better CPU, GTA IV for example runs like junk on a dual core, crysis is also somewhat cpu dependent. i7 architecture is also much faster than core 2 on a mhz to mhz basis not even considering the extra cores. Whenever I build a PC I (and I suspect, most PC gamers) plan to keep it for several years at least so going by the performance of games that are currently released is not a great idea IMHO.

Jun 26, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #33 of 49
Unless you have the money to burn, it's generally never wise to go for the absolute top-end of what's available (when it comes to computer components). A large part of the price is for the prestige of having the best out there. Will it save you a month or two in terms of when you have to upgrade down the line? Maybe. But is that worth three times the cost right now? I don't think so.

Jun 26, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #34 of 49
It's all about the price/performance ratio.

Jun 26, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #36 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by sugrhigh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just save yourself a lot of trouble and get a Mac
dt880smile.png

Mac's are generally quite overpriced for the performance level. If he doesn't want to buy the i7 extreme, I doubt he wants a mac
tongue.gif

Jun 26, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #37 of 49
Quote:

just save yourself a lot of trouble and get a Mac
dt880smile.png

He wants to do gaming.
If all he plays is the sims and WoW, sure get a mac and get ripped off.

Jun 26, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #38 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsRy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mac's are generally quite overpriced for the performance level. If he doesn't want to buy the i7 extreme, I doubt he wants a mac
tongue.gif

I agree they are more expensive, but they work. I was a windows user for over 15 years and I'll never look back!

Quote:

He wants to do gaming.
If all he plays is the sims and WoW, sure get a mac and get ripped off.

Or he uses Bootcamp (free from Apple) to dual boot and he can still run windows and thus every game you can name on a much more stable platform although it wont help the software much
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 26, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #39 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those temps you see are rarely accurate though. If it doesn't crash then the temp is good no matter what it reads in the software. Run temp software and then go read it in the bios too and the temps are rarely the same.

My infrared thermometer gives similar results, and the BIOS lines up with what's reported in the software. It's accurate.
smily_headphones1.gif

But hey, if I do fry it, I'll have an excuse to get something more powerful. My CPU still can't keep up with many of the settings I want to run on FFDShow. I guestimate that I need a 4.5GHz or so clock on the Core2 architecture to do what I want.

Jun 26, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #40 of 49
Quote:

I agree they are more expensive, but they work. I was a windows user for over 15 years and I'll never look back!

Or he uses Bootcamp (free from Apple) to dual boot and he can still run windows and thus every game you can name on a much more stable platform although it wont help the software much
tongue_smile.gif

Geez, why are these Mac fanboys so persistent?

The OP asks about processors, motherboards, graphic cards, overclocking and GAMING. Macs are good computers in their own right but it shouldn't even be mentioned in this thread with the criteria above.

For argument's sake you are entirely correct, you can do gaming with a Mac. You can also listen to music using the ibuds, but I wonder why you are not using yours with your ipod?

Jun 26, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #41 of 49
Quote:

Geez, why are these Mac fanboys so persistent?

Fanboy (Fan-boy: noun) - an individual who is devoted to and biased in opinion towards a single subject in an emotional or fanatical manner, or to a single point of view within that subject, often to the point where it is considered an obsession.

Thats why. The cult of apple is also why I am a PC.
wink.gif

Jun 29, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #43 of 49
Quote:

Dude, it seems to me you are not upgrading but getting a whole new system. You have been asking questions about processor, mobo, graphics card and a power supply. I also assume that you will be getting some memory as well.

Why don't you tell us what your current system is and how much you are planning to spend upgrading. If gaming is your main priority than a graphics card is the most important, the processor will not be your bottleneck. There is no game that a good C2D can not take, if you all ready have one there is no need to upgrade.

I have a C2D E8500 with 2 HD4850 in crossfire and there is no game that I cannot max out in 1920x1200 resolution. My power supply is a 450W and it works fine with 2 burner and 2 HD, don't let the industry fool you in needing 1000W.

I am not even overclocking the processor nor the graphics card, why not? I don't feel the need to do so, everything runs smooth so why risking avoiding the warranty for a few framerates? I understand if you are passionate about OC but at the end it is just not practical. I also had bad experiences back in the days busting my Geforce 4200 for a few extra points in 3d Mark. I might OC later on when my system feels limited by a game.

Conclusion, tell us your current system because getting the latest, fastest, biggest might not be the best route but certainly the most expensive one. OC is more like a passion or hobby than real practical solution. Why strain your system and void warranties when every game runs fine? Unless of course you enjoy running benchmarks everyday and want that few extra frame rates as well as few extra seconds less when unzipping your videos.
biggrin.gif

Yes its like im getting an entire new system. However Im keeping my lian li full tower case and...... yeah it looks like the only thing worth keeping since I bought my computer in 2003. I also might keep my old dvd media rom if i dont go blu-ray. MY current (either mobo or graphics card died). My processor is amd athlon 1700+ and my graphics card is a 256mb ati 4XXX (forgot what it was) and a 550w antec power supply and 2GB ram.

Asus rampage 2 extreme vs gene - I cant decide btw the 2. Im getting either of these instead of the P6T deluxe since there more package sold on ebay with the rampage mobo + i7 920. Im not gonna go for tri sli but i was wondering if it will be better airflow on the extreme if i SLI 2 graphics cards on the top and bottom
PCI-express slot and leave the middle PCI-E slot open??

Gene also looks more stable (since its more updated) but im not exactly sure what im missing from the Extreme except the tri-sli thing and a bigger mobo.

The other question is about the dvd media drive. How popular are data blu-ray media? It seems most programs never go beyond 8GB and a double layer DVD media is more than enough for this job. I dont watch blu-ray disc movies so im wondering if there are other reasons why i should get blu-ray media drive.

Jun 29, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #44 of 49
^^^

Be careful when purchasing online (ebay) especially for computer hardware. Make sure the seller has some kind of replacement policy. This is why I either purchase at my local computer store or online store like Newegg (excellent customer service). It is a common problem to receive DOA products.

Sure you will save some money on Ebay if you look hard enough, but if it is DOA, will there still be savings?

Just trying to give you some good advice and my 2 cents.

Jun 29, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #45 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solid Snake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^^

Be careful when purchasing online (ebay) especially for computer hardware. Make sure the seller has some kind of replacement policy. This is why I either purchase at my local computer store or online store like Newegg (excellent customer service). It is a common problem to receive DOA products.

Sure you will save some money on Ebay if you look hard enough, but if it is DOA, will there still be savings?

Just trying to give you some good advice and my 2 cents.

Im buying new in box products from a seller with 20000 feedbacks and 99.8% positive. Has anyone had bad experience buying DOA when the product was described as new??

Thus guy is selling (rampage 2 extreme + i7 920 + 6GB corsair xms 1600mhz ram) for $810 while (rampage 2 gene + i7 920 + 6GB kingston 1333mhz ram) for $675. Im not sure if i can implement SLI by using just the top and bottom PCI-E and leaving out the middle PCI-E to improve air flow. If it can be done, it sounds like the R2E is worth getting for a piece of mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back