Computer transport with coax out
Nov 25, 2008 at 10:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

antonyfirst

Headphoneus Supremus
I need a cheeeap transport for the DAC I have bought. It uses coax connectors, hence I need a transport with that out. I suppose digital outs are all the same qualities, but anyway I want to spend as little as possible (maybe even 20$). I am not interested in the analog output of the card, since I won't use it. I will mount the transport on the mainboard. My computer uses a standard PCI slot (not PCI express).

Thanks for your help.

Tony

Nov 29, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #5 of 15
Nov 29, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #6 of 15
I asked for a non-usb transport because I thought USB degrades the signal. How much truth lies in this statement?

Nov 29, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I asked for a non-usb transport because I thought USB degrades the signal. How much truth lies in this statement?

Sorry, but I have not seen you mentioning non-USB at all.. Until this post.
You asked for a computer transport with coax out, which as far as I can tell the HagUSB (or similar) have.

Finding a PCI sound card with coax out for $20 would be a challenge.
smile.gif

Nov 29, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #8 of 15
Quick question:
is a cheap transport ($20+) or a HagUsb an upgrade to a stock imac sound card when used as a transport? I'm trying to decide if there's any benefit to running a transport other than my sound card to my DAC for better music and gaming.

Nov 30, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sdfx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found one, SND-P8CH 7.1 Channel PCI Sound Card - SND-P8CH - Buy.com cheapest I could find under $20 with a coax S/PDIF output

This is optical only if I understand corrrectly. IMHO this is not as good as coax but in some cases better than USB. A good coax SPDIF requires a pulse transformer in the source transmitter which is not usually found in low cost sound cards.

Nov 30, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sdfx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found one, SND-P8CH 7.1 Channel PCI Sound Card - SND-P8CH - Buy.com cheapest I could find under $20 with a coax S/PDIF output

Nice price indeed.
But sadly it don't have coax digital out, just optical using a TOSLINK connector.

Nov 30, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, but I have not seen you mentioning non-USB at all.. Until this post.
You asked for a computer transport with coax out, which as far as I can tell the HagUSB (or similar) have.

Finding a PCI sound card with coax out for $20 would be a challenge.
smile.gif

Yup, I didn't mention "no USB" espicitly, but that was what I meant when I said that I wanted to mount the transport on the mainboard.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 30, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I do not think the signal is degraded at all when I use either my HagUSB or M-Audio USB Audiophile interfaces for my Lavry DA10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back