Computer to Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC
Mar 13, 2020 at 12:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Monahans67

100+ Head-Fier
I hope someone can help an old man understand what to do with my computer to DAC. I don't know why I am confused but I will blame old age. LOL Here is my connections.

1. All my music goes to the computer from my external HD.
2. I go from the computer to the Bifrost with the digital out on the back of the PC.
3. The settings in the computer are these for playback.
4. I am just concerned that the DAC isn't getting the stuff from the computer to work properly. I don't know about the upscaling etc. 20200312_090332.jpg20200313_080411.jpg

Mar 13, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #2 of 9
Try dropping the quality down to 16 bit 44.2kHz and see if that helps. Are you running the signal from your DAC to a headphone amp or speaker system?

Mar 13, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #3 of 9
You may need to quit and restart your music player once you make this change.

If you run the signal to an amp you need to make sure you use the RCA out and not in on the DAC.

Mar 13, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #4 of 9
What version of Windows?
Also is this Bifrost v2 or 1?

Mar 13, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #5 of 9
Im on Windows 10. The Bifrost is v1 I guess with the multibit installed. I am going from the digital out to the Digital in on the DAC, then DAC to Lokki, then to the Lyr 3. I mean it sounds great but just don't know if the limitations of the Microsoft HD Audio Player in the computer is limiting with DAC or if the DAC upsamples whatever it gets.

Mar 14, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #6 of 9
I mean it sounds great but just don't know if the limitations of the Microsoft HD Audio Player in the computer is limiting with DAC or if the DAC upsamples whatever it gets.

No, the Microsoft HD Player shouldn't be a limiting factor. In the extremely unlikely case that Microsoft's player is terribly designed, then choose 24/96 but as @NA Blur stated, 16/44.1 should be absolutely fine. And incidentally, the DAC will upsample (oversample) whatever it gets, regardless of which MS player setting you choose.

G

Mar 14, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #7 of 9
I assume the Bitfrost is 24 bit.
Choose 24 regardless of the audio played as it allows you to play both 16 and 24 bit audio.
It might also be beneficial when using DSP like digital volume control.

Set the sample rate to what is common, 44.1 kHz as almost all audio has 44.1 for sample rate.

Assuming the digital out of your PC is USB, check its settings
https://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Windows/Win7/USBDAC.htm

You might try a player using WASAPI.
This bypasses the audio settings of Win completely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back