Computer to Router to Headphones
Nov 14, 2013 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

steveal

New Head-Fier
I currently have the following set-up:

Fibre modem feeds my main Router. Connected to the main router via Ethernet cables are:
1. My PC (with my music FLAC files and an external HDD).
2. A second router configured as an access point. This is located in a conservatory remote from the PC. This second wireless router has spare Ethernet sockets and a USB socket.

Question: how can I listen to the FLAC files on my PC using headphones from the router/access point in the conservatory?
Do I need another computer? Some other device?

Any guidance to this beginner would be much appreciated.

Steve

Nov 15, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #3 of 7
I don't know much in the way of audio hardware but networking I may have knowledge or ideas to share about.  If you would, provide model numbers and if applicable revision numbers along with make and model of the router and the access point.

I have a few ideas I could research based on the firmware and hardware capabilities of your equipment, both OEM and potential custom if such firmwares exist for your equipment.  The goal in mind is the achieve what you are wanting to do with no additional equipment.

Nov 15, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #4 of 7
Thank you both for the replies.

I may be over complicating the issue. Let me try again.

- In my listening area I have a fully functional wireless router.
- My PC (with FLAC files) is in another room, connected to the wireless router by ethernet cable.
- I want to somehow connect headphones to the wireless router and access the FLAC files on my PC.

One example might be to use a tablet (Ipad? Nexus?) to wirelessly connect to the router, and then plug headphones into the tablet. I assume I could then access the FLAC files.
I don't know if this would work, but is there a better solution?

Steve

Nov 16, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #5 of 7

- My PC (with FLAC files) is in another room, connected to the wireless router by ethernet cable.
- I want to somehow connect headphones to the wireless router and access the FLAC files on my PC.

One example might be to use a tablet (Ipad? Nexus?) to wirelessly connect to the router, and then plug headphones into the tablet. I assume I could then access the FLAC files.

Steve

if you have a laptop or tablet just set up a wireless network (or wired preferably)  and just share your music folder on the host PC then access it threw the laptop or tablet. you might need to find a app or media player for your tablet that will access your network.

Nov 17, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #6 of 7
Alternately, you can also get a music server like the Musical Fidelity M1 Clic and the Aune S1, and hook up their RJ45 terminals to that other router. Having that access point router makes such a set-up easier, btw, because you don't have to run the cable to the primary router, and as opposed to using a DAC, these two have quality output.* The S1 already has a headphone amplifier output also, just doesn't have its own knob; not really important to most people but I prefer knobs for quicker and more controlled volume changes, but I use my DAC-Amp with a variety of material (web content on top of my own music), so if it's just your own music and you equalize gain when you rip, it's not really a problem.

From there you can get the appropriate app for your iOS or Android device to use them as a remote control and see the content on these, instead of using the built-in screen. Usually this is only really necessary for speaker systems where you're farther out from the screen, but depending on the quality of the remote app, it can still be smoother to use than the buttons on the device itself or the remote it might come with considering the loads of content you'd have access to.

*Of course, I wouldn't expect the M1 Clic to be identical in output with DACs and CDPs at the same price point; the S1 probably, because it's a cheaper brand and product, compared to a $600 CDP. Then again, there are $1000 CDPs I didn't really like, so that's not the sole determinant.

Nov 17, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #7 of 7

Steve

Does your phone have a Wifi interface and a headphone jack?  You could use that to access the wireless LAN using an appropriate app e.g. ES File Explorer on Android phones.  Then just use your favorite music player app to play the FLAC files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back