Computer Synthesizers & Music Programs
Apr 13, 2005 at 9:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TWIFOSP

Headphoneus Supremus
Does anyone have any experience with computer synthesizers or mixers?

I'm looking for one to just play around with. Don't need anything crazy professional, but feature rich would be nice. I don't mind shelling out some scratch, but free demos to try first would also be sweet.

I mainly just want to create some simple electronic type sound tracks for an animation short my buddy and I are working on.

Anyone know of any forums or resources related to these types programs?

Apr 13, 2005 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 6
arturia makes some good sounding analog modeling synth reproductions of famous synthesizers such as the Minimoog and the Yamaha CS-80.
you can download demos at www.arturia.com

reason is another good program... www.propellerheads.se is the address
it has several different types of synthesizers, and is more versatile than the arturia programs

Vintage Synth Explorer is a great website for info on synths

you could probably get an actual used synth for not much more than one of those programs. eBay is a good place to find used synths

Apr 13, 2005 at 10:33 PM Post #3 of 6
A real synth would be cool, but I mainly want a like a drum and beats program where I can lay down tracks and overlay sounds ect.

I'm versed in music, and studied music theory for 2 years, so some kind of involved composer would be sweet.

Apr 14, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #4 of 6
I would say that reason is the way to go, because it has a sequencer and all of that jazz built in, and several good synth "modules" with different kinds of synthesis, like granular, and analog modeling...

one thing you might want to think about is getting a midi keyboard, like this one

having a keyboard will be much easier to lay out tracks and such than using the softwares note entering interface...

Apr 14, 2005 at 4:00 PM Post #6 of 6
there are a few software analog synth programs that can be useful to tide you over until you get the hardware version.Some even musician level in quality that only need a keyboard,others just fun toys (like the BBC theremin download or the Mousing program)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back