Computer speakers
Oct 29, 2016 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

nmou88

New Head-Fier
Hello, I need advices because I want to buy a set of active stereo hifi speakers to connect with my pc and I was looking for those models : KEF X300A, Yamaha nx-n500, Dali Zensor 1 ax and JBL LSR305 or 308
The thing is I dont have many information about those products and I dont know their differencies so I hope that you can clear me up a bit
Thanx for replies

Oct 29, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #2 of 16
Hello, I need advices because I want to buy a set of active stereo hifi speakers to connect with my pc and I was looking for those models : KEF X300A, Yamaha nx-n500, Dali Zensor 1 ax and JBL LSR305 or 308
The thing is I dont have many information about those products and I dont know their differencies so I hope that you can clear me up a bit
Thanx for replies

Monoprice 5" studio monitors, $170
http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=115&cp_id=11504&cs_id=1150401&p_id=605500&seq=1&format=2
Maybe get a used Asus Xonar DX sound card (used $40-$60), nice CS4398 DAC chip.

Oct 29, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #4 of 16
I don't want studio speakers but more Hi-Fi
And your speakers are not in the same price category than the ones I've listed so i am not sure about them

As you had listed several studio monitors, KEF300A, Yamaha NS-N500, JBL LSR305 & LSR308,
I had assumed you wanted studio monitors.

The Monoprice come from the same factory and have the same specs as the M-Audio BX5a.
And the BX5a use to sell for $250-$300 a pair.

If you listed a budget, might be able to find you the best bang for the buck.

Oct 30, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #5 of 16
There is just the LSR305/308 that are studios monitor, the others are hifi
My budget is, let’s say 800$ but I am clear with this : I DONT WANT A SEPARATED AMP, I want active speakers

Oct 30, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #6 of 16
Finally, my choice will be either the kef x300a or the yamaha nx-n500 (because I dont want to buy a sound card)
Can someone compare those 2 models please
I am waiting ...

Nov 1, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #11 of 16
you wont go wrong with the jbl lsr 305, just dont expect earth shattering bass out of anything unless you have a sub.

if you really want to compare monitors, you really have to go out to a store that has them.

The next best way would be to watch this channel with a neutral pair of headphones if, and only if you already know what one pair of studio monitors already sound in real life, then you can estimate how a monitor will sound compared to another.

Also, since this is mainly a headphone site, we don't really go bonkers on speakers and comparing them. Try gearslutz or avsforums.

Nov 2, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #12 of 16
you wont go wrong with the jbl lsr 305, just dont expect earth shattering bass out of anything unless you have a sub.

if you really want to compare monitors, you really have to go out to a store that has them.

The next best way would be to watch this channel with a neutral pair of headphones if, and only if you already know what one pair of studio monitors already sound in real life, then you can estimate how a monitor will sound compared to another.

Also, since this is mainly a headphone site, we don't really go bonkers on speakers and comparing them. Try gearslutz or avsforums.

First, thank you so much to answer me
Second, all I want to know is if there is a big difference between them, I mean in quality (I think I will take the x300a because they are cheaper)

Nov 2, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #13 of 16
honestly i can't give and input since ive never heard the kef's. I havent demoed many speakers. However, i can say for sure that the jbl lsr305 sounds pretty nice for the $240 i spent on a pair. They don't need a sub if you dont listen to bass heavy music or don't game. I got a sub anyways since i wanted true full range sound, and i can say confidently that it sounds good as hell.

I would describe the jbl lsr305 sound signature as neutral, slightly dark, with the vocal presence region being a tad recessed. No piercing treble to be found.

also, how in the world are you getting those kef's for cheaper than an lsr305? impossibru!

If it was me, i would get a great bang/buck speaker + quality sub. 

example: -elac speakers + svs/rythmik/hsu subwoofer
                -jbl lsr305 + svs/rythmik/hsu

My reason being that quality bass is just the best thing ever once you've experienced it. The tactile sensations that a good sub produces is the best thing that headphones lack.

Nov 3, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #14 of 16
You're right, the lsr305 are cheaper than the kef x300a
But, then I will need a good sound card for them, no ?
If you go up in the thread, you can see that's why I was focusing on the x300a
Also, I saw some reviews on internet that said that the x300a are really good in audio quality like the lsr305 but I dont know how they compare both and I can't make a choice ...

Edit : I found someone said this on a website "Hey folks. Did anyone finally get some comparison of these 3 speakers? KEF x300a, Yamaha n500, or audioengine HD6. It seems the KEF has the most glowing review of all the 3 speakers so far??"

Nov 3, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #15 of 16
if your source is crap for sure, or doesnt have a line out, you're gonna want a usb DAC. ( Something like this, this or this) anything that has a usb input and a line out.

You could also get a sound card, same thing, it just goes inside your computer.

As for the speakers, all of them will sound good to you since you havent had anything better. Anything in that price range (200-800) are supposedly very close to each other according to speakerphiles across the internet (from the research i've done) the midrange tier supposedly starts at about $1000. Take this with a grain of salt though, im not an expert!

What you should focus more on is what kind of sound signature you want, since all those brands you listed are pretty reputable. 
I still stand with my original suggestion of bang/buck speaker + quality sub. Yes, the sub is that important imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back