Computer Speakers?
Nov 25, 2010 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

flipdac

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a decent set of speakers to use with my computer.  I've lurked around on Head-Fi before, but this is my first post.  Please be aware that I'm in college, and do not have anywhere close to audiophile ears, but also that I can tell good sound from bad sound.

My current speakers are the Logitech Z-2300's.  I do like that loudness of the bass (huge subwoofer) and the trebles are good.  However, the set has pretty much no mid-range whatsoever, and the bass, although loud, seems muddy IMO.

I was looking at the M-Audio AV 30's, which apparently have good sound, but I also heard that it, along with its big brother, the AV 40's, get very hot and have horrible reliability.  I was also looking at the Klipsch 2.1 system, but it also has horrible reliability according to reviews I've read and advice from friends.

Can anyone recommend a set of speakers that has decent bass and mid-range?  2.1 would be nice, I do like having a subwoofer.  2.0, though, would be fine as well.  If I end up with 2.0 speakers, I may just use headphone splitters and use the sub from the Logitechs, and maybe throw in the satellites from the Logitechs as rear speakers, just for the hell of it.

So, to sum it all up, I need 2.0 or 2.1 speakers with the normal 3.5mm jack (or RCA, since I can just buy an adapter) that are reliable, have decent bass, and have mids that are not as crappy as what comes out of the 3" Logitech speakers.  I use them mainly for music (predominately rock and alternative), and secondarily for console games (not much in the way of movies).  For a while I was thinking of getting 5.1 speakers, but I really don't need them for a college dorm room / apartment setup.  I'd like to spend less than $200 (so no nice Audioengine A5's 
frown.gif
) and have them plug right into my computer (I don't want to have to buy a receiver, so that pretty much eliminates the bookshelves).

Thanks!

Nov 26, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the reply!

After some research I think I'm going to go with the MS40's - I'm a little wary of the reliability of the M-Audios, and the MS40's had bigger woofers.  Any idea why the MS40's are cheaper than the M-Audios ($115 vs. $150)?

Hopefully the Behringers will turn out to be the right choice.

Nov 26, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #4 of 7
How about a recommendation for a powered subwoofer?  Something with the features of the Sony SA-W2500: RCA or 3.5mm input, self-powered, doesn't require a receiver, <$100?
Or should I just keep the Z-2300 and use that for a sub?

Thanks.
Oh and by the way, I chose the Behringers over the M-Audios because of heat problems with the M-Audios - apparently they get really hot and don't last very long, at least according to what I've read online.

Nov 26, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
How about a recommendation for a powered subwoofer?  Something with the features of the Sony SA-W2500: RCA or 3.5mm input, self-powered, doesn't require a receiver, <$100?
Or should I just keep the Z-2300 and use that for a sub?

Thanks.
Oh and by the way, I chose the Behringers over the M-Audios because of heat problems with the M-Audios - apparently they get really hot and don't last very long, at least according to what I've read online.

My AV40s are about 2 years old at this point.  They're starting to crack at random, they make large pop sounds when they turn off or on, the volume knob causes really bad stuttering and hissing in the sound, they get REALLY hot on the back, and they sound mediocre at best.  The lack any concept of a low-end and have inflated midbass for what they do actually render.  They're better than my old speakers (some logitech junk) but I would not buy them again and can't recommend them anymore (since I've achieved headphones and will be achieving better speakers)

Nov 26, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #6 of 7
Hi

First, you mention that you don't have audiophile ears, but don't worry, the audiophiles don't have audiophile ears either :)

In these computer speaker threads I always suggest a second-hand stereo amplifier and second-hand speakers because for the same money you can get far better sound.

Throughout the 70's, 80's, 90's and 00's zillions of good amps and speakers have been made and so you can pick these up cheaply.

Personally I'm not a fan at all of the current standard for computer speakers which seems to be to have some tweeters in little plastic boxes and a subwoofer, because this splits the signal for the subwoofer at a very high frequency. It is much better imho to use a pair of "bookshelf" speakers which will provide a much more of the sound spectrum from the same source.

Make sure that the speakers are actually pointing at your ears. For near-field listening this is essential. Listening off-axis will hugely reduce sound quality. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back