Computer speakers.
Mar 29, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by RicHSAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You definitely want to avoid plugging the headphones into the headphone out of cheap speakers. Hell even the headphone out of my old Logitech Z-5500 was terrible. If you want a cheap solution, buy a decent 3-6ft female to male 3.5mm stereo cable. Plug it into your sound card and leave the female end on your desk so that you can easily switch between your speakers and your headphones.

I see. That's definitely something to consider.

Quote:

Have you considered the Asus products of soundcards? I know the original question was about speakers, but if you get a decent soundcard with a DAC built in, will help immensely.

I've looked at them time to time. I'm considering the Auzentech X-plosion or the ASUS Xonar DX right now. How can I tell if they have a DAC or not though?

Quote:

All-in-all, if I were shopping for PC speakers today, I'd get the Klipsch Promedia.

Do you mean the Promedia 2.1? I heard bad things about the DIN connector so I'm a bit wary of getting it.

Mar 29, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #17 of 30
For most intents and purposes, a sound card and a DAC are the same thing. In this audiophile world, we shun "sound cards" to the realm of video games and reserve the word DAC for music. Potayto Potahtoe.

A cheap extension cable to bring the jack to the front of the computer is your simplest solution. Another option is a cheap usb sound card like the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro (~$30), which you would presumably plug into a front usb port to once again give you easy access to switching between headphones and speakers.

There's also the M-Audio AV40s which are somewhat comparable to the A2s, and they do have a headphone out. Generally not as highly regarded as the A2s, but can be found for considerably cheaper as well.

Mar 29, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #18 of 30
If I buy the splitter/extension cable, then I can remove the need for a front headphone jack.

I never considered getting a USB sound card. Performance-wise though, I'd imagine they'd be lower quality compared to PCI cards right?

The M-Audio AV40s do look nice. The headphone jack became somewhat of a moot point though. And I've got a "small" issue with their size, though I'm sure I would be able to clear out some room for them if needs be.

I've also looked at some Swan brand speakers. They look amazing, but can anyone vouch for their quality? The ones in particular that I'm looking at are the Swan H2 minis and the M12.

Mar 29, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #19 of 30
Since you'll be gaming, yeah go with one of the PCI cards. For music purposes, it doesn't make much of a difference between usb or pci.

I have AV40s and quite like them. While not as good as the A2s, they are also more prevalent and can be found for significantly cheaper (I picked mine up for $100 US).

Swans are generally well reviewed here, but they're on thep pricier side of things and harder to find.

Mar 29, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #20 of 30
AV40 is as good as the A2 if not better, A2 is not better in every way. The AV40 sound more transparent than the A2 while the A2 has a very glaring midbass hump.

Mar 30, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #22 of 30
I think for speakers I'll go with the Swan H2 Mini. I like the looks and decent price on the other speakers mentioned, but after examining my desk some more I don't think I'll be able to place any of them due to their rather large size.

So I'll probably get the Swans for speakers, a Asus Xonar DX for a card with a splitter to connect both the speakers and the ad700.

Mar 30, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #23 of 30
I do not recommend any of the Klipsch Promedia products. The build quality is atrocious. A Promedia set that lasts longer than a year is quite a rarity. The M-Audios, Audioengines, or Swans are much better choices.

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #24 of 30
I would suggest you check out your local thrift stores for speakers and an amp or reciever. I bought a set of Klipsch KG1.5 for $10.00 that had rough cabinets...sanded them down and re varnished for another $5.00. Powered with an old Kenwood 55 watt amp from the closet and it sounds great with plenty of power and a headphone jack. I would think you could do better with $100.00 going that route and don't forget yard sales.

Apr 1, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #25 of 30
Take a look at B&W MM-1.
They connect to your computer via USB, have their own dac and a "high-Quality" headphone out.
If they sound anything like the Zeppelin as B&W suggests then they should be pretty darn good for a computer speaker.
They cost 500$ in the US I believe, so a bit pricey.
If you want to know how good or bad the headphone out is, send me a PM, I will have them in a few weeks as soon as they are out.
Multimedia Speakers | Best PC & Laptop Speaker - Bowers & Wilkins | B&W Speakers
B&W is releasing headphones that are meant to be used with iPods at the same time, so probably good to hook up to the MM-1's too. I'll try to have a listen if they have them at the store.
iPod & MP3 Headphones | Noise Isolating Head phones - Bowers & Wilkins | B&W Speakers

Apr 1, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #26 of 30
I like how after clearly stating that your budget was $100 and that you didn't want the AV40s because they were too large, someone came and recommended you go with passives (which are much more of a space hog than AV40) and someone else recommended you $500 speakers. I guess that's head-fi for you.

Apr 1, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #27 of 30
xxbaker said:
Quote:

I like how after clearly stating that your budget was $100 and that you didn't want the AV40s because they were too large, someone came and recommended you go with passives (which are much more of a space hog than AV40) and someone else recommended you $500 speakers. I guess that's head-fi for you.

Altaris said:
Quote:

I'm currently considering the Creative T20 Series II. At $100, it's not too expensive, looks okay and has the jack. Before I got them though, I figured I might ask here for a second opinion. Does anyone know anything about this? Alternatively, does anyone know of speakers that are: 1. Have headphone jack in front, 2. relatively small, 3. better performance when compared to my current Altec Lansing ATP3s.

I see no statement of a 100$ budget here, only that the op considers a 100$ set.
I see three requirements that are met by what I suggest.
And maybe what I suggest is too expensive, but that's up to the op to decide.

What I do wonder though is how exactly your post is in any way helpful to anyone.

Apr 4, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #28 of 30
Maudio makes some pretty nice cheap speakers. they are monitors, so they don't have crazy bloated sub bass, pretty balanced sounding, which is hard to find for that price. They sound very true and real, tone is pretty good. i don't know anything about the klipsch promedia

Apr 4, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #29 of 30
I would try something new and powered from behringer. Now I know people here will hate, I tried one of their mixers before....well I'd rather not go into details, but that mixer was utter crap. So i was somewhat apprehensive about ordering again from the company, but I had read that behringer can actually make some decent speakers so i decided to give them another chance. And I was glad I did!

Now I can't speak for their cheaper models, but b3031a is just....wow. My mixes translate much better when balanced on the b3031as then on my k702 (maybe i still havent gotten used to the airy presentation of the 702s). The one thing that the 702s and the 3031as have in common, as soon as you try to approach ridiculous levels they seem to "crap out" on you. Audiophile products don't seem like they want to be pushed to the limits, maybe i havent spent enough money yet :S.
If you have the money, go for the b3031a u wont be disappointed. I also suggest that u look into some of their cheaper powered models, might be good.

Also are you planning to just set them down on your desk, or do you have speaker stands?

Apr 5, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleheadMay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
xxbaker said:

Altaris said:

I see no statement of a 100$ budget here, only that the op considers a 100$ set.
I see three requirements that are met by what I suggest.
And maybe what I suggest is too expensive, but that's up to the op to decide.

What I do wonder though is how exactly your post is in any way helpful to anyone.

I suppose it's up to interpretation, but I usually figure that if they say they're looking at something around $100, they also wouldn't be looking at something around $500. If you were looking at purchasing a Civic, and someone mentions buying an M3 instead, would you think they were silly for suggesting it?

I wasn't trying to tear anyone down. I just found it amusing and thought that it might tickle someone else.

Geez that took me about 15 minutes to write that because I kept writing something highly cynical/sarcastic that would no doubt be interpreted incorrectly thanks to the internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back