Computer speakers.
Mar 29, 2010 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Altaris

New Head-Fier
Alright, I'm sure everyones seem millions of these, so I'll keep it brief. I'm upgrading my speakers from an Altec Lansing ATP3 system. The upgrade is because I want the ability to plug in headphones in the front, and if I can, get an upgrade in sound quality.

I've looked through various ones (kept seeing the kilpsch promedia2.1) before I decied that I wasn't go to make much headway. The only thing I really gathered was that a lot of people liked the promedia and logitechs z2300, though I saw an equal amount of logitech hate.

I'm currently considering the Creative T20 Series II. At $100, it's not too expensive, looks okay and has the jack. Before I got them though, I figured I might ask here for a second opinion. Does anyone know anything about this? Alternatively, does anyone know of speakers that are: 1. Have headphone jack in front, 2. relatively small, 3. better performance when compared to my current Altec Lansing ATP3s.

Thank you all very much for putting up with this.

Mar 29, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #2 of 30
If you want decent speakers, scrap Logitech, Creative etc off the list. Klipsch and Audioengine are good fwir
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #3 of 30
But do they have that front headphone support? I took a quick glance at the audioengine product list, none of them seemed to have it.

Klipsch had a lot more to choose from, but from the looks of it the only one that really fits my needs is the promedia2.1. I originally considered that as well, but I heard there was some horrible defect with a connector that could easily break. Considering myself, I think those would break all too quickly.

On a related note, does the headphone jack for a pair of speakers affect the quality of the headphone reception, or do the speakers in this case just act like a simple wire extension for the signal?

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #4 of 30
Headphones out of a speakers hp out are going to sound TERRIBLE. I tried my SR-225 when I had them out of Logitech G51 headphone out and it sounded disgusting. And those headphones aren't hard to drive, very detailed etc.

You're on the wrong forum if you expect people to recommend some crappy computer speakers and say the headphone out sounds good
tongue.gif

What headphones do you have/plan on getting to use with the speakers?

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #5 of 30
A pair of Creative Labs Sound Blaster Arena. Coincidentally, I didn't notice they were both from creative. I just heard they were comfortable and good.

If what you say is true about headphone out from speakers, then is my only option to switch between my speakers and my headphones in the back of the computer? It's an awful hassle due to the fact that I can't reach the back too easily.

I also have a pair of hd280s, but I hate them because they clamp down way too hard and despite whatever SQ it might have, it's just too uncomfortable.

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #6 of 30
Yuck! Chuck those headphone sin the bin
tongue.gif

You should start reading the Headphone part of these forums. For gaming ATH-AD700 can't be beaten (IMO and a LOT of others agree with me) when driven from the hp out of a X-Fi sound card. They are also EXTREMELY comfortable with no clamping force at all
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a shortcut of the Sound control panel on my desktop. It brings up a menu with all the inputs/ouputs of audio within my system. All you gotta do is double click on one and audio will start playing through whatever is connected to that input.

For example: I have the AD700 plugged into my X-Fi and my Zero DAC>AMP>Grado HF-2 into the S/PDIF of my onboard sound. I open the control panel and switch between each input when I want to game or listen to music
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #7 of 30
I figured you'd say that. As for the AD700s, I actually heard about them a long while ago. I can agree to your idea of replacing the headphones with the AD700s.

But now it sounds like we're starting to get into the territory of soundcards. Just to say, I'm currently running off a cheap one that came along with my mobo (which didn't have an onboard one). And isn't the X-fi cards from Creative, which you were just warning me about?

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #8 of 30
X-Fi is also on Auzentech sound cards
smily_headphones1.gif
Creatives sound cards are good, their software can be pretty poor at times. If gaming is your main concern, just get the cheapest sound card with a X-Fi chip on it you can and buy the AD700. If music is your main concern, you will want a decent DAC and amp with some headphones like Grado's
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #9 of 30
I'm hesitant to delve into the world of DACs and amps. I think it's too much work/money (mainly money) for someone like me who doesn't have the best ear around. But perhaps I should buy a X-fi card to replace this stock one.

I'll be mainly gaming yes, but I don't want my music to suffer as a result of that.

Your setup of switching audio via 2 connections, 1 via jack and 1 via speakers sounds interesting. I don't think I can do it on my current sound card as of right now though. I'm assuming that the same cards with X-fi will have a SPDIF port in addition to the usual jack?

And back onto the subject of speakers, I just found out that Klipsch has a model called ProMedia Ultra 2.0. They look like they'll fit my specs pretty well. However, they don't seem to be available anywhere anymore. What a pity.

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #10 of 30
What music do you listen to? The AD700 are good for some, but are not for bassy genres at all.

Mar 29, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #11 of 30
Nothing special. I'm an anime geek, so I end up listening to lots of jpop stuff. Occasionally I like rock music. Hm. In a way, it's easier to just say that I'll listen to just about anything, except maybe rap.

I've been looking at the Auzentech X-plosion. It looks like a pretty good card. Has plenty of connectors to use, so I could actually hook up a pair of headphones + speakers. Not too expensive either.

Mar 29, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Altaris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nothing special. I'm an anime geek, so I end up listening to lots of jpop stuff. Occasionally I like rock music. Hm. In a way, it's easier to just say that I'll listen to just about anything, except maybe rap.

I've been looking at the Auzentech X-plosion. It looks like a pretty good card. Has plenty of connectors to use, so I could actually hook up a pair of headphones + speakers. Not too expensive either.

The AD700s should be pretty good for you then.

Mar 29, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Altaris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If what you say is true about headphone out from speakers, then is my only option to switch between my speakers and my headphones in the back of the computer? It's an awful hassle due to the fact that I can't reach the back too easily.

You definitely want to avoid plugging the headphones into the headphone out of cheap speakers. Hell even the headphone out of my old Logitech Z-5500 was terrible. If you want a cheap solution, buy a decent 3-6ft female to male 3.5mm stereo cable. Plug it into your sound card and leave the female end on your desk so that you can easily switch between your speakers and your headphones.

Mar 29, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #14 of 30
Have you considered the Asus products of soundcards? I know the original question was about speakers, but if you get a decent soundcard with a DAC built in, will help immensely.
I have the logitech z5500 and they have been nothing but trouble. I have had to return to main control pod to logitech and this took months and months to accomplish...horrible customer service...
anyway, I just installed Xonar HDAV Deluxe and use the analog connection to my z5500 and am really impressed with the difference over the integrated soundcard the system came with.
good luck

Mar 29, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #15 of 30
I'm a Logitech Z2300 owner and for the money they're pretty good. For movies and gaming they are really great, but music listening is not so hot. The speakers use a single 3" driver and the highs really suffer because of that.

I will say this about them though. Plugging your cans into the headphone out is not bad at all. The hp out on the wired remote is definitely amplified and has a low noise floor.

All-in-all, if I were shopping for PC speakers today, I'd get the Klipsch Promedia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back