Computer Speakers
Aug 31, 2009 at 4:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

forgotten_hell

New Head-Fier
Okay, so I like to listen to music on my computer. When people are over, when I'm sitting there, I like to listen to music. But I don't, because the speakers I have are absolute crap. I don't have an audio card, just an on board one. So I was wondering, what would I need to do and what speakers should I buy? How much would it cost in total?

Also, my computer is in the same room as my HDTV. Now, I don't have but have always wanted a surround sound system. But that wouldn't be good for music right? Because music is stereo?

Aug 31, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by forgotten_hell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, so I like to listen to music on my computer. When people are over, when I'm sitting there, I like to listen to music. But I don't, because the speakers I have are absolute crap. I don't have an audio card, just an on board one. So I was wondering, what would I need to do and what speakers should I buy? How much would it cost in total?

Depends on what you want, what size of room you have, and other variables. The minimum you'll need is an amp, speakers, and either an external DAC or new sound card.

Quote:

Also, my computer is in the same room as my HDTV. Now, I don't have but have always wanted a surround sound system. But that wouldn't be good for music right? Because music is stereo?

Well, you can just turn off surround and use the front speakers. Of course this is a larger investment than a standard stereo.

There's ways to save money, primarily buying used or direct. The majority of my audio equipment is used, and overall I've had great luck with it.

I guess the best way of asking this is, how much does sound matter to you? Only you can put a pricetag on it of when it's too much. For some here like me it's rather high, but I believe in known scientific principles and law of diminishing returns. For others hundreds of thousands or more are easily dropped on systems (I can't fathom such logic).

Aug 31, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #3 of 17
Well, I like the sound to be good. I'm not looking for anything super high end. I don't encode my music loselessly, so I don't need the best of the best. Just something that I can enjoy listening to and hear the finer points of the music. I like to keep the whole thing >$200, if that's even possible. Mostly this is just for my room, why is fairly small, though I don't know the exact dimensions. If I did get a laptop at some point, though, I may want to hook it up there and play it outside at something like a BBQ (at a decent level though).

Now, if I got a speaker set now and a surround sound later, would you recommend using the surround sound instead of the speakers?

Also, I do have a small stereo set, that I never really used. It played discs, and I mostly just use it for radio. I got it when I was younger, looking at it it's a JVC, I always assumed it was crap, I dunno if it's any good...

Aug 31, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #4 of 17
If you have always wanted a surround system, go for it! There's no reason why you can't get quality stereo out of the speakers in a surround system. You'll have to choose whether you only want two speakers playing, all speakers playing stereo, or a surround algorithm, like the Dolby modes you might have heard of.

More important is your budget. Figure out how much money you want to spend and divide it first into a new speaker budget, then a receiver/amp, then new source (soundcard/dvd or blu-ray player, etc.) and then, if you have any left, on whatever looks shiny. Stay away from those Home Theater In A Box solutions, most of them are crap. To give you some idea what it would take to get a really good sounding set-up, we're talking about thousands rather than hundreds of dollars
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 31, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #5 of 17
Hmm, on a tight budget I'd recommend the Logitech Z5500. It includes amplification, a dsp, and a remote. Together with a cheapo 7.1 soundcard, that's about the best you can do for the money.

Aug 31, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #7 of 17
Well, talking audiphile separate components type of a setup. There are decent all-in-one solutions that don't cost an arm and a leg, but you've got to read around for some reviews/recommendations. Once you're armed with that knowledge, try 'em out at a Best Buy or Ultimate Electronics, and find a sound you like.

Aug 31, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #8 of 17
So... Some all-in-ones are good? I always thought they were crap... What kind of sound am I gonna get out of them? And with the sound card, is it possible my mobo has a 7.1 in it? I think when I looked at the box the other day the sound looked decent, but I don't know a whole lot about that stuff.

The only thing is, though, computer speakers themselves would more portable than surround sound, which wouldn't be portable at all... And that would be a plus, if I ever got a laptop.

Aug 31, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #9 of 17
Let me qualify a previous statement by saying that while most under-500$ HTIB I've heard/read about are crap, some of the higher up models by the likes of Onkyo or Yamaha have great reputations for sound quality. In consideration of your budget, however, I strongly recommend something like the Logitech integrated amp+speakers unit. You can see if your onboard audio includes a digital output jack and wire that to the all-in-one system with no loss in quality.

Aug 31, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #10 of 17
Err, I'm going to have to disagree anetode. Logitech it generally pretty bad all around, it doesn't matter how high in their line you go (save UE stuff).

Quote:

The only thing is, though, computer speakers themselves would more portable than surround sound, which wouldn't be portable at all... And that would be a plus, if I ever got a laptop.

If you're looking at a real quality setup, odds are you're not wanting to rip it out constantly for carrying with a laptop.

If you're keeping it under $200 that would be tight. The best suggetions I have would be either the Swan M10 speakers or T-Amp and Insignia Bookshelves. These are stereo and not surround setups, which will take substantially more money to integrate.

The Swans are internally amplified, and aren't very upgradable. The Insignia setup would be able to be expanded out slowly to get things such as a sub. Neither of these are perfect, and you'll want to upgrade off of your motherboard's internal audio soon.

Aug 31, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #11 of 17
I don't mean carrying around the speakers, but if there was a gathering outside or something, being able to play music would be nice.

I am kind of getting further and further away from the idea of a surround sound system. It sounds like a lot of money, and it isn't something I could see myself affording any time soon, aside from a cheapo HTIB.

To give a little bit of background, I'm only 15, so I don't think I could afford a system like that until I'm an adult. And I'd have to move out and I don't think upgrading would be the best idea... Maybe wait on the surround sound until then, because the computer speakers I could always use.

So Shike, would you recommend getting the Swans then? And how much would it cost me to upgrade of my motherboard's sound card when I get the Swans (if I get the Swans)?

Aug 31, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Err, I'm going to have to disagree anetode. Logitech it generally pretty bad all around, it doesn't matter how high in their line you go (save UE stuff).

Soundwise, the Z5500 is more satisfactory than good, feature and pricewise, it's a good value. Your suggestion of a decent small bookshelf speaker system would definitely yield better sound for music.

Aug 31, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

So Shike, would you recommend getting the Swans then? And how much would it cost me to upgrade of my motherboard's sound card when I get the Swans (if I get the Swans)?

Between the two I think the Insignia setup offers a better path. You can get a subwoofer later if you aren't happy with the bass output. The Swans tend to lack in bass from what I've heard, requiring the subwoofer positioning to be quite finicky. I've suggested this setup to a few people on other forums and haven't had one person complain yet. I doubt you could go dramatically wrong with either one though. A note about the Insignia speakers I linked to: They're actually made by a different company that used to sell some pretty solid budget speakers (Radiient). It's based off some bookshelves they used to sell, but they removed the "hyper tweeter".

As for getting off the motherboard sound, I know there's the AlienDAC on the cheaper end if you get someone to build it or buy prebuilt . . . probably under $100 if you shop the used sections here. Upwards towards $200 you see some nice Auzentech and Asus sound cards. A bit above $200 there's the EMU 0404 USB. Beyond that you can start to enter a not so clear defined market in terms of performance vs. sound enjoyment (some products measure bad or only so-so, but gain a cult following) . . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by anetode
Soundwise, the Z5500 is more satisfactory than good, feature and pricewise, it's a good value. Your suggestion of a decent small bookshelf speaker system would definitely yield better sound for music.

Thanks for clarifying
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 31, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Wait, what do you mean about buying AlienDAC getting it prebuilt or someone to build it? That part confused me. I tried to search for it but found nothing...

The Alien DAC is a DIY project mostly. You buy parts or a kit, solder, and assemble it yourself. I doubt you'd have the equipment or skill to attempt it on your own at this time, and I don't know if you'd know anyone that does.

Alien DAC info

Glassjaraudio sells a few kits, and even offers one with 2702 pre-soldered. I still believe you'd have to do enclosure work and everything else though, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Sometimes you can get someone here to build it for you, or they will sell one they no longer need.

Hopefully it makes a bit more sense now. It's not a super high quality DAC, but it's better than using what on your motherboard. If you can I think the higher end Auzentech and Asus cards hit the sweet spot in price to performance, and cost under $200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back