Computer Speakers... Who's got what?
Dec 28, 2001 at 10:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Duncan

Headphoneus Supremus
After having my Cambridge Soundworks PC Works speakers for 2 years i decided to upgrade today, went out and bought some Packard Bell NXT speakers...

Got them home, and they are the most horrid sounding speakers going, no bass extension, and very little treble... I nearly cried at the prospect of my hard earned cash being thrown away

I then decided to do a side by side comparison between the NXTs and the PC Works... and these sounded all bass and treble and little else... double whammy
eek.gif

Final thing i could do was try both sets at the same time, and... was pleasently surprised, a full audio spectrum greeted my ears
smily_headphones1.gif

So, my question to you is... should I stay where i am running both sets of speakers... OR do you have any hearty recommendations for a single set?

One Final thing... They MUST be literally computer speakers, bookshelf speakers etc aren't in my consideration due to lack of space (and need for additional amplification)

Dec 28, 2001 at 11:03 PM Post #3 of 39
I thought packard bell died like, years ago...

Anyways, from what others say, Monsoon speakers are supposedly good (though I have listened to a set and wasn't particularily impressed).

CSW's higher models are good too. Altec Lansing makes a good set as well, forget the model.

Dec 28, 2001 at 11:36 PM Post #5 of 39
I like my Videologic Sirocco Crossfire. Bit expensive, though.

Dec 28, 2001 at 11:54 PM Post #6 of 39
If their speakers are anything like their computers, throw the Packard Hell's in the garbage. I've been fairly pleased with my pair of Boston Acoustics speakers, but the sub is much too boomy and undefined. Compared to the Cambridge Soundworks 4.1 speakers that I own, the satellites are much better with on the Boston Acoustics, but the Cambridge Soundworks have a better subwoofer. I've heard good things about Klipsch, but either you love them or hate them, no doubt like the Grado sound.

Dec 29, 2001 at 12:09 AM Post #7 of 39
Thank you for your quick replies everyone
smily_headphones1.gif

I must confess that i've never been able to find Klipsch speakers (have seen them well reviewed before on here), i'll keep a look out for the other suggestions that you mentioned...

Still on topic, but in a different direction... Has anyone ever heard any multimedia speakers from Yamaha? I saw a set today that had the tiniest little tweeters imagineable mounted on what best can be described as an inverted tripod, with quite a hefty looking sub

These things were on sale for £169 ($230) so they must be kind of decent? - Do computer speakers generally run like headphones, that the more money you put in, the more you get out? or... are there plenty of dudds even at the higher end of the scale?

Dec 29, 2001 at 12:21 AM Post #8 of 39
Duncan - £169 for computer speakers! I wouldn't go that far. If your space is limited, go to Richer Sounds and get a £100 amp (ie Marantz PM4000) and some Wharfedale Loudpanels speakers for £80 (rrp £300 just a year ago). The wharfedales are NXT design and comes with a sub, the panels looks like a picture frame and you can atually stick some pictures on there and hang it on the wall. You can then hide the sub away under the table, and you'll have a much better system for £180. The speakers come with some basic cables for connection too (and I mean BASIC) so you don't need to fork out more dosh unless you want to.

I have some for Uni next year and have tried to connect to my Marantz, I must say they are fantastic for £80. Fair enough, they are not as good as my B&W but that cost 4x the price and I think it'll beat any computer speakers for the money.

NOTE - you'll need a copy of WhatHiFi to get the Wharfeldae for £80 if you go to a local branch, or just mention it if you order by phone but never use their website. Otherwise it's £120.

Dec 29, 2001 at 1:21 AM Post #9 of 39
I reckon get a mini system with some cheap mission/sony bookshelves or something like that. Would beat any "PC speaker"

Ive heard my friends S4 MidiLand 8200s and I didnt have the heart to say it sounded like crap. My old old old Sony mini compo system sounds so much better and it sounds like crap to me
smily_headphones1.gif

But the S4 MidiLand 8200s are one of the better cheaper PC speaker pakages Ive heard.

Dec 29, 2001 at 1:27 AM Post #10 of 39
I have the Cambridge Soundworks FPS2000 4.1 set. Sounds fine to me for music and games. I have no complaints. Good bass, good treble, no problems. Anyone else own these set, what do you think of it?

George

Dec 29, 2001 at 1:46 AM Post #11 of 39
Monsoon MM-700 (closeouts) or MM-702, or the MH-502. See what I said in another string.

Dec 29, 2001 at 2:26 AM Post #12 of 39
I own the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1s, though I use them for console gaming. Loud as hell, and so are the speakers! The headphone out is powerful and clear. They can power my Senn 580, Beyer 250-80, and Grado 325 to unhealthy listening levels very, very easily. I know my newly acquired 401s would love the power coming from the 2.1s headphone out. I do not know the power rating, it's not in the manual nor is it on the website.

The highs are very crisp and detailed, similar to the 325. The bass is solid for a 6.5 inch driver. The bass is similar to the 250-80, but not as refined as the 580s, or as impactful as the 325. The mids are weak, the 3.5 inch driver doesn't cut it at all. There's a void when I play music through the 2.1s. I know, they are computer speakers after all!

Thats why the 2.1s are actually in the shop being modded. Out goes the POS 22g wire terminated to a mono 1/8" plug. I understand the cost saving measure on the wire for a computer speaker, but the 1/8 plug! In are Kimber 4PRs soldered directly to the speaker terminals. The speaker housing is ABS plastic. It will be sprayed with sound deadening material. Lastly, upgraded caps will be put in.

Yes, these mods are probably too much for the 2.1, but WTH! The person doing all this Frankenstein work has designed and manufactured his own line of speakers (www.vanlspeakerworks.com) so I trust his judgement with the mods. I should have them in about a week.

Regards - reynman

Dec 29, 2001 at 3:16 AM Post #13 of 39
I hope this thread doesn't end up being another huge debate on computer speakers
wink.gif
j/k

While I don't particularly like them, many people love the Monsoons. The Klipsch are good, but expensive. The Sciroccos are supposed to be good but IMO are really overpriced.

I'm still a big fan of the higher-end Cambridge speakers. I've owned three different sets and have been extremely pleased with all of them.

<shameless plug>I actually have one of ours up for sale right now, Duncan
wink.gif
:http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...?threadid=4600 </shameless plug> (although you're in the UK, so shipping ain't cheap)

Dec 29, 2001 at 5:56 AM Post #14 of 39
When I had a desktop (and what a beautiful desktop it was) I built my own speakers and ran the pairs with an Audiolab 8000A Int.Amplifier (50wx2). About the speakers- 1" Audax Titanium tweeter (the real titanium, not the coated cloth version), SEAS 4" coated paper mid-woofer. The size of the speakers is similar to the original ProAc Tablette (the mid-woofer being the same). I ran a higher order x-over (acoustically 3rd order). The soundcard on the system was a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz (I also had SB Live!). Playing DVD on my 19" Diamontron Flatscreen monitor and having these speakers in front of me was more cathartic than my recent experience watching Lord of the Ring at a local Cineplex (on an IMAX screen). I've since sold my computer (along with the monitor) but kept the speakers (now mated with a subwoofer- a pair of 6" Scanspeak carbon loaded paper woofer) and bought a Toshiba laptop.

Dec 29, 2001 at 6:13 AM Post #15 of 39
Heheh... My computer speakers (Altec ACS-48) are okay (though I did turn its "subwoofer" just barely above "minimum" for a reasonably balanced sound), but my sound card (SB Live! Value with no digital outputs) is a piece of crap.

That said, I don't need to upgrade my computer speakers right away - but I will be looking at a TBSC (I play many games of late) to replace that crappy SB Live! card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back