Computer Speakers w/ Home Receiver
Jul 12, 2005 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mojoRT

New Head-Fier
Hi,

In the near future I will be receiving an extra Logitech Z-2300 computer speakers and I was wondering if it is possible to connect these speakers to my home theatre receiver. I know one method would be to connect them to the headphone port on the receiver, but this causes the other speakers not to work. I would like all the speakers to work.

The speakers come with a conversion adapter (headphone plug (3.5mm) to RCA (red/white) plugs) and I was wondering wether or not I could get some RCA cables and connect it somehow.

Now, the back of my receiver has PRE OUTs ... (see the picture --> http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pi...K_Rear_300.jpg). What exactly are PRE OUTs and will I be able to connect my speakers to, for example, the rear surround PRE OUTs and have them work with my regular home theatre speakers at the same time?

Thanks for any comments!

Jul 12, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojoRT
Hi,

In the near future I will be receiving an extra Logitech Z-2300 computer speakers and I was wondering if it is possible to connect these speakers to my home theatre receiver. I know one method would be to connect them to the headphone port on the receiver, but this causes the other speakers not to work. I would like all the speakers to work.

The speakers come with a conversion adapter (headphone plug (3.5mm) to RCA (red/white) plugs) and I was wondering wether or not I could get some RCA cables and connect it somehow.

Now, the back of my receiver has PRE OUTs ... (see the picture --> http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pi...K_Rear_300.jpg). What exactly are PRE OUTs and will I be able to connect my speakers to, for example, the rear surround PRE OUTs and have them work with my regular home theatre speakers at the same time?

Thanks for any comments!

No.

Jul 12, 2005 at 4:49 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmo
No.

Yeah, that was helpful.
rolleyes.gif

mojoRT, is your Logitech Z-2300 complete? Does it have the subwoofer and the wired volume control? If so, you can hook up the LEFT and RIGHT PRE OUTS to the input on the Logitech. I'm guessing there is a 1/8" mini stereo connector on the Logitech, so you'll have to use a dual RCA --> 1/8" stereo interconnect.

If you don't have the subwoofer and the wired volume control, then the speakers will not be powered, so you will have to make an adapter cable to plug it into your speaker binding posts.

But unless yor receiver allows it, it is doubtful you will be able to use both your main speakers and have the PRE OUTS output at the same time.

So the answer is Maybe.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Jul 12, 2005 at 4:49 PM Post #4 of 5
I'd tried connecting some low-end external cubes made by creative and it didn't work well- any time the receiver tried to put in some volume, the rec'r would sense an overload and switch off.

I believe this roughly means that the rec'r sensed that the cubes couldn't handle the power and shut off so that it wouldn't damage the cubes.

Instead- I went for $40/each cubes from Crutchfield (now owned by CreativeLabs ?) and couldn't have been happier.

They don't look like they're selling what I bought any more, but why not buy a set of bookshelf speakers or something?

Jul 12, 2005 at 7:06 PM Post #5 of 5
The only definite must haves I can recommend are pairing a cheap reciever (a used one), with a speaker of your choice and the dayton tiny mighty (10" finished sub, performs to 25hz)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back