Computer speakers through headphone amp setup?
Jan 22, 2013 at 11:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ninjames

I get people telling me I say dumb things all day.
Hey guys I have the Creative Gigaworks T40 II speakers, I love 'em. They're obviously not a hi-fi setup and that's totally fine by me. Plugging them straight into my laptop, as they are designed for, works great. I wanted to know if there are any negative effects to running them through my DAC+Amp that I use for my headphones? In this case, it would be the Schiit Modi + Schiit Magni or the Little Dot MKIII. I use these to power my HE-400 headphones and I don't like to constantly unplug my DAC and all of that.

So the question: would there be any adverse effects to plug these speakers into my amp? Thanks!

Jan 22, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #2 of 5
I see no issues with doing that as long as you start at zero volume on your amp and work your way up.  Be sure to listen for distortion and turn down the amp right away if you hear it.  I imagine the drivers inside those speakers are pretty comparable to low sensitivity headphones.  Using a more power hungry speaker that is not self-powered would not work because most speakers are 4-8 Ohms and need tens of watts of power.  Most headphone amps that I know of cannot deliver such high power thus a power amp is needed.

Jan 22, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
Hey guys I have the Creative Gigaworks T40 II speakers, I love 'em. They're obviously not a hi-fi setup and that's totally fine by me. Plugging them straight into my laptop, as they are designed for, works great. I wanted to know if there are any negative effects to running them through my DAC+Amp that I use for my headphones? In this case, it would be the Schiit Modi + Schiit Magni or the Little Dot MKIII. I use these to power my HE-400 headphones and I don't like to constantly unplug my DAC and all of that.

So the question: would there be any adverse effects to plug these speakers into my amp? Thanks!

A Fiio E10 USB-DAC-headphone amplifier ($75) comes with a separate line out.
Not sure how well the E10s amp. would drive the HE-400.

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #4 of 5
Just be careful of the current draw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back