Computer Speakers Recommendation for $200-300 price range.
Sep 20, 2015 at 7:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

danielhowk

Head-Fier
Hi im looking for Computer Speakers Recommendation for $200-300 price range. from any pro :)
have a few options so far but not sure which is better 
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Professional-LSR305-Studio-Monitor/dp/B00DUKP37C
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-HS5-Powered-Studio-Monitor/dp/B00CFOX420/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1439738060&sr=1-1&refinements=p_36%3A1253548011
Hivi Swan m50-w
Hivi Swan Mk III or the Mk II
Hivi Swan x4
Presonus Eris 5
Yorkville YSM5
been favouring the JBL LSR 305 at the moment. but what you guys think about these speakers in comparison.

any recommendations would be appreciated :) thanks you for all your suggestions :)

Sep 21, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #4 of 16
i heard for gaming a 2.1 will provide a better gaming experience vs 2.0 bookshelf speakers. should i be focusing on like the m50w hivi swan since is 2.1 or the JBL LSR 305 is so good as a 2.0 that it beats the 2.1 hands down ?

The JBLs are quite fantastic speakers for the price (and just fantastic in general); you'd be hard-pressed to beat them with anything less than ADAMs. I used to run exclusively 2.1 setups, but after removing my sub I will never go back- The 'speed' and imaging of the speakers really suffers with a single separate subwoofer, properly crossover'd or not. Now, stereo subs may potentially be quite excellent, however this requires much financial investment...

Oh and I might add, the bass extension of the JBLs (yes, even the 5") is sufficient enough to warrant the absence of a sub, even for, say, drum 'n' bass music. They should be more than adequate for gaming.

Sep 21, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #5 of 16
The JBLs are quite fantastic speakers for the price (and just fantastic in general); you'd be hard-pressed to beat them with anything less than ADAMs. I used to run exclusively 2.1 setups, but after removing my sub I will never go back- The 'speed' and imaging of the speakers really suffers with a single separate subwoofer, properly crossover'd or not. Now, stereo subs may potentially be quite excellent, however this requires much financial investment...

Oh and I might add, the bass extension of the JBLs (yes, even the 5") is sufficient enough to warrant the absence of a sub, even for, say, drum 'n' bass music. They should be more than adequate for gaming.

What is ADAMs ?
but even adequate a 2.1 is still better for gaming right ? m50w hivi swan for example

Sep 21, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #7 of 16
There isn't a 2.1 all in one system on earth that can touch even very cheap monitors for imaging and sound stage, the only 2 important things when gaming. They just happen to also be better at at everything else which is a massive plus.

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #8 of 16
  I think the Emotiva line of powered speakers offer excellent sound for the money. And customer service seems to be very responsive and responsible. 

There isn't a 2.1 all in one system on earth that can touch even very cheap monitors for imaging and sound stage, the only 2 important things when gaming. They just happen to also be better at at everything else which is a massive plus.

cant decide between Yamaha HS5 and JBL LSR 305.
how are they in comparison ? from reviews they seem pretty close ? but i thought id ask for your opionions

Sep 23, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #9 of 16
I've only heard the jbl's which were superb for the money. There are a lot of worse speakers for more money out there. And when the reviews say they are close I think its a no loss scenario, just choose the one closer to the sound signature you want eg the one with more bass or better soundstage. For gaming I'd get the one with better soundstage, whichever that is.

Sep 23, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #10 of 16
I been using the JBL LSR 305 my self for almost 3 weeks,They been running great with my Gustard X12 dac plugged into it's XLR balanced Connections. I Originally had some numark N-Wave 360s before these and of course these LSR 305 eat them up. I gave a bunch of types of music a listen like Drum n bass,Dubstep,Techno and other types of music and it handle them all greatly. The bass on these monitors is really nice too I didn't expect it to do this well in bass heavy music.  I tried some games as well and they sound very nice in them as well. Best money I ever spent and they should last me a long time.  You might be able to get a deal on them on ebay like I did and the warranty is transferable also.

They are big too which caught me off guard as I didn't expect them to be that big but I had room for them, I also have them sitting on top speaker isolation pads too so the sound is coming at me at ear level. Don't make the mistake i made by getting some generic TRS 1/4 to RCA cables, if you do get some make sure they not cheaply made and good quality because I learned the hard way. Lucky for me I had some AES cables laying around from monoprice when I jumped the gun and ordered them. One more thing they have a input sensitive on the rear of the speakers that you might have to set depending on what you are plugging them into,also check the volume knob before you turrn them on as they might come at 10 so you might wake the dead or annoy people in your house hold, or go flying out your office chair from shock.

Sep 24, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #11 of 16
cant decide between Yamaha HS5 and JBL LSR 305.
how are they in comparison ? from reviews they seem pretty close ? but i thought id ask for your opionions

The JBLs have a very flat sound signature with a hint of warmth (a bit of a mid-bass and low-mid boost but not too much by any stretch). The Yamahas favor the midrange and treble frequencies, with a slightly inferior low-bass response. Overall they are both very excellent speakers; I once owned both as complimentary studio monitors.

If you listen to alot of electronic music, rock, metal, or hip hop, I'd definitely use the JBLs hands down. If you prefer mostly classical, go for the Yamahas. As for anything else, it will sound pretty good on both (although for anything acoustic I'd lean towards the Yamahas).

Sep 24, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #12 of 16
I've only heard the jbl's which were superb for the money. There are a lot of worse speakers for more money out there. And when the reviews say they are close I think its a no loss scenario, just choose the one closer to the sound signature you want eg the one with more bass or better soundstage. For gaming I'd get the one with better soundstage, whichever that is.

I been using the JBL LSR 305 my self for almost 3 weeks,They been running great with my Gustard X12 dac plugged into it's XLR balanced Connections. I Originally had some numark N-Wave 360s before these and of course these LSR 305 eat them up. I gave a bunch of types of music a listen like Drum n bass,Dubstep,Techno and other types of music and it handle them all greatly. The bass on these monitors is really nice too I didn't expect it to do this well in bass heavy music.  I tried some games as well and they sound very nice in them as well. Best money I ever spent and they should last me a long time.  You might be able to get a deal on them on ebay like I did and the warranty is transferable also.

They are big too which caught me off guard as I didn't expect them to be that big but I had room for them, I also have them sitting on top speaker isolation pads too so the sound is coming at me at ear level. Don't make the mistake i made by getting some generic TRS 1/4 to RCA cables, if you do get some make sure they not cheaply made and good quality because I learned the hard way. Lucky for me I had some AES cables laying around from monoprice when I jumped the gun and ordered them. One more thing they have a input sensitive on the rear of the speakers that you might have to set depending on what you are plugging them into,also check the volume knob before you turrn them on as they might come at 10 so you might wake the dead or annoy people in your house hold, or go flying out your office chair from shock.

The JBLs have a very flat sound signature with a hint of warmth (a bit of a mid-bass and low-mid boost but not too much by any stretch). The Yamahas favor the midrange and treble frequencies, with a slightly inferior low-bass response. Overall they are both very excellent speakers; I once owned both as complimentary studio monitors.

If you listen to alot of electronic music, rock, metal, or hip hop, I'd definitely use the JBLs hands down. If you prefer mostly classical, go for the Yamahas. As for anything else, it will sound pretty good on both (although for anything acoustic I'd lean towards the Yamahas).

i usually listen to pop , EDM , trance . mostly for gaming too.
today i went to try the swan mkIII . and the m50w .
the m50w feels like it has everything it need in a 2.1 it feels, and the swan mkIII was lacking some punchy bass i think. or at least it doesnt feel balance to the type of songs i listen to. the bass was abit lower. so i tried mkIII adding a subwoofer the H6 from hivi swan. this time the bass was too much in comparison after. i adjusted but it just feels that way. 
btw i just use my phone and play audio to try the sound . not sure if that's the best way to try it etc. i dont have much source. can anyone tell me how should i try the speakers ? plugging it up to my phone and play an audio file. is it alright ?

Oct 13, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #13 of 16

i couldnt find Dayton Subwoofer in my country. is there other subwoofer you could recommend for that price range? or give me a few to scout around ?
i think hivi swan mkIII is lacking of bass just tried it today. i even tried the X4 from hivi swan.
is there a sub woofer i could buy to go along with hivi swan mk III ? i cant find Dayton subwoofer in my country

Oct 19, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #15 of 16

Which Adam's model do you recommend in Versus against JBL LSR 305

Users who are viewing this thread

Back