Computer speakers like Diva Swan, Sirocco Spirit
Nov 19, 2002 at 3:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ian

Lifting Meridians by their trays
I'm interested in getting some decent speakers for use with my laptop (and eventually other sources, but just laptop for now). I'd like to avoid a system with a sub (I'm not a bass head and I'd rather not have it around). This leads me to a few decent systems (this is only for music, so I want 2 speakers!):

Swan Diva M200 http://www.av123.com/diva_m200.shtml ($199)
Videologic Sirocco Spirit ($250)

Both of these have rave reviews at 3dsoundsurge.com. Anyone have experience with either of these? Are there any other reccomendations in this price range? Also, I'm having problems tracking down a dealer for the Sirocco Spirit's, if you know somewhere that sells them, that would be great too!

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 19, 2002 at 5:51 PM Post #2 of 7
I own a pair of the swans m-200s and I THINK THEY ARE A STEAL FOR $199. They are well constructed, warm and smooth sounding, respond well to better cables, adjustable and nice looking. My ONLY concern is they dont play that loudly when you use them as a main speaker. For computer listening they are plenty loud enough. I wish swans would sell an unamped pair I could use for a second system in our sun room. They are also expertly packed. The swans are full sounding and I DONT LONG FOR MORE BASS. This speaker is very musical.
biggrin.gif

Nov 20, 2002 at 12:19 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by ian
I couldn't resist. They were real nice via e-mail so I just called and ordered them. They will be here thursday!

Heheh be sure to post how it sounds here
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm thinking of moving my Videologic Digitheatre DTS's to the shared TV in the living room, and getting a 2.0 setup or 2.1 in my room.

Nov 20, 2002 at 2:40 PM Post #5 of 7
I know you said you DO NOT want a sub w/ the system, but I must plug the speakers I use. They are the Monsoon 702, they are magneplaner speakers, and are truly unbelievable for the price ($100-150). They are clear, detailed, and the sub doesn't really give you heavy bass, it is more like a power source. No damage checking them out..........

Nov 20, 2002 at 8:19 PM Post #6 of 7
Turns out av123 is moving and their entire warehouse is packed up. My speakers won't ship untill Friday for delivery Monday! Argh... Their customer service is really nice at least - got a personal e-mail from the guy I talked to on the phone about the situation.

The Monsoon's were an option I was looking at but they seem to be a bit outclassed by the Swans. The Swan's were originally $300, on sale now for $199. These things are compared to some very good inexpensive bookshelf speakers like the Axiom M3Ti at http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...1/swanm200.htm

I'll definently let everyone know how the work out - they need a long burn-in though. Apparently Gluegun has the M200's as well.

Nov 26, 2002 at 4:45 PM Post #7 of 7
FINALLY got them. av123 seems pretty sketchy to me - so many excuses. Then when they 'ship' my speakers on Friday. Monday comes around (DHL Express - delivery by noon) and no speakers. I gave them a VERY angry phone call (This is after being delay - I ordered them Tuesday!). They claim DHL lost the speakers. They never gave me a tracking number.
Anyhow, they shipped out "another" pair yesterday and they arrived today.

Initial impressions are: incredibly good imaging and soundstage, pretty smooth and not aggressive. Bass is pretty weak - no punchyness at all. This is supposed to change dramatically with break in - we'll see! Overall I do like them even now. Beautiful build quality
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back