COMPUTER SPEAKERS HELP
Sep 1, 2008 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

tim359

Head-Fier
I am currently looking for some computer speakers to be used with my laptop. I use headphones for serious music listening, but would like some speakers to use while watching movies or listening to music with other people. I'm not looking for amazing sound quality which I leave up to headphones. I'm just looking for something that more than one person can listen to and that's better than the stock speakers on my macbook. If you have any suggestions of decent computer speakers that are fairly cheap, say around $40 or $50 dollars, please let me know.

Thanks.

Sep 1, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #2 of 14
Find some easily available and legendary Realistic Minumus 7 speakers from Ebay. The Japanese made ones in the cast aluminum casing with the Fostex woofers. Easy to find under $40 but you will need some sort of an amp for them.
Get two pairs and stack them tweeter to tweeter for double the fun or even spring the $15 from an Ebay dealer for a crossover upgrade.

smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 1, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim359 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How big are those speakers (the whole thing, not the speaker cones)?

About 7"x4"x5"

Sep 2, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #6 of 14
Or you can go against the grain and go with the AudioEngine A2. Go online and check out some of the videos. They look impressive and they aren't that expensive. I might order some on my next check.

Sep 2, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by deeplove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or you can go against the grain and go with the AudioEngine A2.

What grain does the A2 go against?
Just wondering.

Sep 3, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #8 of 14
Just wanted to say it.

icon10.gif

But really. They look nice. Oh, I think I said that because everyone is all about headphones and what not. Yeah. But...

Just check them out.

beerchug.gif

Sep 3, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #9 of 14
Thanks to all for the input.

Does anyone know anything about the Creative Inspire T10? I found them for about $45 on Amazon and they seem descent, but I don't have any experience with them.

Sep 3, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim359 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks to all for the input.

Does anyone know anything about the Creative Inspire T10? I found them for about $45 on Amazon and they seem descent, but I don't have any experience with them.

I know that they are better than no speakers but due to no sub and low wattage, you'll have little to no bass with them. I highly suggest the Logitech set I posted, not because they are great but because they fit your needs and your budget.

Sep 3, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by I<3SQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know that they are better than no speakers but due to no sub and low wattage, you'll have little to no bass with them. I highly suggest the Logitech set I posted, not because they are great but because they fit your needs and your budget.

Just curious, does your comment about the lack of bass on the T10 come from experience with these exact speakers or from experience with similar speakers that don't have a sub?

Sep 4, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by I<3SQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

no sub doesn't necessarily mean no bass. a cheap sub is more likely to be dire bass. i was once in your dilemma. from experience i'd cough up just a smidgen more money and try and get a set of the creative t10s. they're fairly small and surprising good for their size and price.

what was the solution to the computer speaker dilemma i had ... i went and bought a set of the audioengine a5s. there's no need for a sub unless you wanted to fill an absolutely humungous room.

Sep 4, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #13 of 14
I'm not looking for tons of bass, so I'm probably not going to bother with getting a speaker system with a sub. As long as there's some bass and it doesn't sound bad I won't mind too much. Also, I would be mostly using them in my dorm at school, so I don't need or want them to get too loud.

Sep 10, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #14 of 14
If you can find them the Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 2.0 are the best I've heard and sound like exactly what you are looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back