Computer Speakers Help - For Classical ($500 AU budget)
Jan 13, 2008 at 6:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

porschemad911

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

Having just sold my home headphone rig, I need something to play music on. So I would like to buy a set of speakers to hook up to my laptop, since the built in speakers sound absolutely horrible.

I don't have room for an integrated amplifier or receiver, so they must be active speakers. I am also not interested in a subwoofer. They don't need to be portable, as I will set them up on my desk and leave them there.

I will be placing them a couple of inches from a wall, so front ports are preferred.

I listen mostly to classical music, and value smooth treble, an excellent midrange and balanced (not too much boom) bass. I am not too fussy about SQ (perfectly happy with my work rig SQ), but would like a set of speakers to keep for a while, to listen to piano, choral, orchestral and classical guitar works on. I do not want a fatiguing sound however, with sharp treble and boomy bass. Natural and balanced is what I'm after, so I am open to suggestions that some may call 'boring'.

I am currently considering the following (all prices in $AU):
Tascam VL-X5 ($500)
ESI nEar05 Experience ($400)
Fostex PM0.5 ($500)
Behringer MS40 ($250)
M-Audio DX4 ($230)
Logitech Z-10 ($170)
Creative T-40 ($160)
Audioengine A5 ($500)
Cygnett Unison X5 ($400)

I have heard very good things about Swans speakers, but unfortunately they have no Australian distributor, so they're out.

I would jump on the ESI nEar05 Experience studio monitors (on special, and with good reviews), however I'm not sure how I go about controlling the volume. I assume that using the volume control of my laptop's output will harm sound quality, so do I need to reach around and match up the volume on both monitors every time I want to change volume? I don't really want add another box on my desk for a volume attenuator or passive preamp or Emu 0404 or similar.

The ESI are also rear-ported. Will they still sound ok a couple of inches from a wall?

I'm a bit dubious of the SQ of the Logitech and Creative speakers, especially when compared to the rest of the speakers I've listed.

Looking at the list again, the Behringer MS40 seems to have everything I'm after. It's front ported, has a single volume control and fits within my budget well (less is always better when I've got the remnants of a car loan to pay off). The only question is, will it sound ok with my classical music? Unfortunately I can't demo them.

So if you own any of these speakers, can you please try them out with some classical music and let me know how they go?

Cheers!

Edit: There's also a pair of M-Audio BX8a on eBay at the moment for $520 delivered, which seems like a pretty good deal. Where do they sit amongst the speakers I've listed? I've heard they have a pretty aggressive sound though.

Jan 13, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #2 of 10
These sound very well (I have them around me now), but are a bit more expensive:

A7.jpg

Jan 13, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #3 of 10
Lol, thanks, they look great, and I'm sure they sound fantastic, but $1779 AU is a bit out of my budget.

I had a stroke of genius (haha) yesterday. Unless I'm mistaken, I can use my LDII+ as a preamp to do volume control for a pair of active monitors. Hmmm, it is arcing though, maybe that's a bad idea rather than a stroke of genius.

Jan 13, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #4 of 10
I use my Bithead as a preamp to do volume control for my M-audio AV40 monitors... sound quality is much better than my built in sound card. I've asked if it's safe to do that and I've been told it's alright.

I would stay away from brands like Behringer, Logitech, and Creative, since producing speakers are not their specialty. (Avoid Behringer especially... in the music world, they're code for sh!t)

The higher end M-audio speakers, from what I understand, do have a rather fatiguing high end, so avoid that if it's not your thing. I myself have been eyeing the Audioengine A5 speakers for quite some time and plan on getting those for my next upgrade. They get stellar reviews everywhere, and they'll also match nicely with my Mac.

Jan 14, 2008 at 8:26 AM Post #5 of 10
Yes, the Audioengine A5 do look nice. I had the chance to try out the Cygnett Unison in Harvey Norman the other day, which sounded pretty good (quite bassy though). Thanks for your tips re the M-Audio sound signature.

I've also been offered a reasonable deal on a pair of the Behringer MS40s ($225 delivered), which I'm thinking about going for. This makes them basically the same price as the M-Audio DX4. Has anyone compared the two? I'm thinking the MS40 (with proper sized cabinet) will have better bass (and has more features), but the DX4 will win in mids and highs. I've also read about plenty of DX4 failures.

Actually, if no one can come up with any further advice, I think I'll go for the Behringers. I don't think I care enough to spend much more than that, especially if it means grabbing an external audio device to control the volume properly. I'll only be listening to 256 Kbps WMA files (and 128 Kbps internet radio) anyway.

And if they're truly terrible, I'll start a no reserve $1 eBay auction! If I get them, I'll post my impressions in case anyone else is considering them.

Jan 14, 2008 at 9:10 AM Post #6 of 10
You'll probably be wowed by the Behringers if they're the first monitor speakers you're owning... but just know that for around or a little more money there's a lot better out there. It's kinda like how people who've listened to the iPod earbuds their whole lives think the Bose Triport headphones are amazing the first time they hear them. But since you are listening to lossy music files, then maybe it won't matter so much.

Jan 14, 2008 at 9:40 AM Post #7 of 10
Thanks ikonoklast, for your input. I doubt I'll be wowed after my Rega Planet 2000 -> Graham Slee Solo -> K-701 experience (I honestly never imagined music could sound so good), but as long as they're not terrible, I'll be happy.

You say that I can do much better for around the same or a little more. What exactly do you have in mind? I'm open to all suggestions.

Jan 14, 2008 at 9:49 AM Post #8 of 10
A few that I have been impressed with that suit your budget (or will after haggling in some cases
wink.gif
)

Caxton Audio Brisbane and Sound Reference Melbourne - 30 plus years experience, hifi Brisbane, hifi Melbourne, in the heart of Paddington Brisbane and in trendy Fitzroy Melbourne - the best in high end Audio in Brisbane and Melbourne City and Queensl - scroll down to the Quad 12L (not the active version - a little further down in black) - beautiful looking and sound very impressive at that price. They are the 'older model' but look and sound very similar to the new version IMO.

Epos are awesome if you can haggle on price/stretch budget Epos ELS3 - Carlton Audio Visual

Krix - Made in Adelaide, very nice speakers - not as nice as the others above IMO, but your tastes might prefer them... Krix Equinox Demo clearance - Carlton Audio Visual

I'm sure you'd be happy with the sound from any of these speakers, but try to compare their sound signatures if possible... hope it helps...

Jan 14, 2008 at 9:56 AM Post #9 of 10
Thanks poo (haha had to laugh typing that), I'm sure you're right and I'd be happy enough with any of those. However I don't have room (or the cash) for the additional amplification required.

Jan 14, 2008 at 10:46 AM Post #10 of 10
Oh bugger... sorry mate - didn't see the 'active' part of your post. Wondered why everyone was making such odd recommendations...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back