Computer Speakers ~$200
Feb 19, 2008 at 5:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

bloodandsoil

Head-Fier
I'm looking for a set of computer speakers in the range of $200. My computer is using the X-Fi XtremeGamer sound card.

I'm not sure about surround sound. Does that really work? How do you make the space to put speakers behind you? I'm thinking that I might just want a set of regular 2.1 speakers. Any advice on this topic?

Feb 19, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 19
Since you are asking this here I'm assuming this is primarily for music. Personally I would forget about "computer speakers" and look at active monitors. Monitors are designed for near-field use (unlike most bookshelf speakers) and actives have amps integrated into the cabinet so you don't have to worry about powering them.

For ~$200 the Alesis M1 are pretty well regarded and would be my choice. You can add a sub at any point in the future for the .1 which will make a huge difference depending on what you will be listening to.

Feb 20, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #5 of 19
I'm a fan of the Audioengines too, but if you spend a little less (hey we don't always have to increase budgets!) what about the buzz around the Swan M10s awhile back?

Feb 20, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #6 of 19
Feb 20, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #7 of 19
Another vote for the PM2.1's. Owned a pair, friends have owned a pair. Everyone loves them. Klipsch makes great stuff for the price. They used to sell the refurbs on their website for $100.00... it was a steal. Might want to call up and ask about that. They're really a lot better than their price tag suggests. The best part about their systems is that they're reasonably detailed and their subwoofers don't sound like fart-cannons the way Logitech's average system does.

Feb 21, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #9 of 19
i love my M-Audio StudioPro 3's they're only 99usd and they are the best under 200usd that have an built in amp. If you a crazy bass head you might want to look somewhere else.

Feb 21, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #10 of 19
a few weeks ago i was also looking for speakers for my new Imac. Originaly wanted a integrated amp/passive speakers set up. I was thinking Def tech, PSB Alpha, B&W, Paradigm speakers but was just too big for my desktop. After weeks of researching and reading reviews, i finally decided to try the A2's.

Pretty good sound coming from these small active 2 way speakers. Worth it for $199. You get a 30 day trial. So you can return it, if you dont want it.

My vote is also for the A2's...THese are way better than the Klipsh Pro media, Swans driver is too small. Havent the Alesis but it's also active monitor (self powered - doesnt need an separate amp) like the A2's.

Feb 21, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #11 of 19
x2 for the PM2.1.

Feb 22, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #13 of 19
I'll third the Klipsch Promedia 2.1's. While I don't use them all that often (headphones disturb others less), I am very impressed by them. They sound great with my b-enspirer sound card. I paid less than 100 dollars for them new on eBay.
For whatever it means, they are THX certified.

Feb 22, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #14 of 19
You can always do what I did.

I bought some good old 70's speakers off of craigslist for $40 and built my own amp.

They jam, and sound pretty darn good too. total was like $80.

I also own a creative 2.1 system. I don't know the exact model, but it sounds pretty decent considering I got it off of craigslist for $15. hehe. Its like a $90 system.

Yes, I love craigslist.

Feb 22, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #15 of 19
These for the money are just giant killers at $59.00. Very highly recommended
biggrin.gif

Audiomagus - high end not high priced

Users who are viewing this thread

Back