Computer Speakers $200-$250.
Jan 25, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #31 of 36
And I'd recommend being extremely cautious accepting invitations from people on an open forum that offer to shop for audio equipment for you, especially if that person does not know to look at the +/-3db points in the speakers that they recommend when discussing low frequency response.

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #32 of 36
Quote:
And I'd recommend being extremely cautious accepting invitations from people on an open forum that offer to shop for audio equipment for you, especially if that person does not know to look at the +/-3db points in the speakers that they recommend when discussing low frequency response.

#1: I can supply enough references to be trustworthy

#2: I DID look at the +/-3db and you recommending a POS subwoofer was JUST as stupid. NO subwoofer under $250 will perform at an adequate rate

There is no way a $60 subwoofer could produce anything but random noise under 40hz. The driver is ***** the housing is cheap and the amp is worthless

Jan 26, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #33 of 36
#2: I DID look at the +/-3db and you recommending a POS subwoofer was JUST as stupid. NO subwoofer under $250 will perform at an adequate rate

Huh?

It only goes down to 38hz? pfffffffpffpffpffffpf. I mean sure if he's working with bookshelves that have a floor of 50-60hz then I can understand but there are pretty affordable (I mean realistic affordable not HURR DURR audiophile affordable) speakers that go down to 40.

Well, your recommendation contradicts itself. The Polk Monitor 45B you recommended ARE speakers that NEED a sub crossed over in the 50 to 60hz range. So those speakers would benefit from that sub according to what you said. Either that, or you don't understand what -3db means for low frequency response, since Polk themselves rates them as -3db at 57hz :cool:

Meanwhile, I don't know what "adequate rate" means. That's not a subwoofer performance term. The problem with the SW-8 is that it doesn't have much max SPL, so it's limited for use in a bedroom or with a desktop computer setup, and certainly is not going to reach reference volumes even in a small room. Which I already pointed out that output is its problem. But for a $200 budget, or even a $300 for desktop audio setup, it's a good deal. Obviously the OP can't go out and by an SVS PB1000 with his budget (assuming that you even know what that is).

Jan 27, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #35 of 36
I live in Sweden. The Denon 1312 seems to be out of production, or there are no resellers in Sweden for that amp. The closest (read cheapest) I can get is Denon 1513 and will cost around $350, which is a notch over my budet.

You are right. The 1312 is out of production. XX12 is last year's Denon model series. So where we can find it here in the US, the prices are very good.

You might try asking at AV Forums for recommendations on what and where to buy. They are a UK based discussion forum for audio/video, and my guess is that they might be more knowledgeable about what is available in the EU in terms of best price/performance values. For example, they have a What Speakers to Buy forum.

But that's the trick. Find out where people in your region are discussing what to buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back