computer speaker systems
Apr 30, 2006 at 11:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mgtitans17

Head-Fier
I want to get a new set of speakers for my dell computer because the speakers that came with my computer just dont have enough kick to them. I was pretty much set on athena as-b1.2 speakers+sonic impact t-amp+a regulated power supply. I just think it would be easier to just get a 2.1 multimedia system like the klipsch prodmedia 2.1. I have a budget around $180 and i listen to a lot of rock and alternative music. Does anybody think the athena speakers+the t-amp will sound better than the promedia system and other 2.1 systems like the klipsch?

May 1, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 9
Haven't heard the Athenas, but I did used to own the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 and if bass / bass impact are what you want, I can highly recommend the Klipsch (it was in the midrange / treble, where the Klipsch revealed it's solid state nature, but they were definitely no slouches in loudness and perceived bass impact).

May 1, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #3 of 9
I've never heard of/used Athenas myself, but for computer, I've never been disappointed with anything from Klipsch or Logitech.

May 1, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mgtitans17
I want to get a new set of speakers for my dell computer because the speakers that came with my computer just dont have enough kick to them. I was pretty much set on athena as-b1.2 speakers+sonic impact t-amp+a regulated power supply. I just think it would be easier to just get a 2.1 multimedia system like the klipsch prodmedia 2.1. I have a budget around $180 and i listen to a lot of rock and alternative music. Does anybody think the athena speakers+the t-amp will sound better than the promedia system and other 2.1 systems like the klipsch?

For $180 (+shipping) you can get a refurbished Klipsch iFi system directly from the manufacturer here:

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=974

I believe Costco used to sell this system brand new for ~$200, though, so it might be a good idea to check there first.

May 1, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #5 of 9
Is the ifi system better than the promedia 2.1 in sound quality? Im also considering the swan m200 power speakers as well but they are pretty expensive and are i cant find a place that sells them or has them in stock.

May 1, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mgtitans17
Is the ifi system better than the promedia 2.1 in sound quality? Im also considering the swan m200 power speakers as well but they are pretty expensive and are i cant find a place that sells them or has them in stock.

The iFi system ought to be better than the ProMedia 2.1... I haven't heard the iFi yet, though (still waiting for mine to arrive
biggrin.gif
), but I think there's no comparison between the satellites of both systems. The iFi comes with two RSX-3 Reference Series satellites which would cost you the same as the whole ProMedia system itself if you bought them separately
tongue.gif
. I also recall that the iFi subwoofer has some design enhancements that are not present in the ProMedias. Maybe you should visit the Klipsch forums and search for detailed comparisons but I think is safe to say that the iFi is a superior product in everyway.

May 1, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #7 of 9
I've been pretty happy with my Klipsch Promedia 2.1's hooked up to my E-MU 0404. A touch on the bright side, but sounded better than Logitech's offering in my opinion. I would have probably gone with an active monitor or bookshelf setup if it were not for space restrictions. Athenas have had good reviews for their price range too and likely better constructed than the Klipschs, not to mention that I can't imagine them sounding worse than the Klipschs.

Whichever way you go, if you don't have one on the Dell already, opt for a sound card along with it like an AV-710 or something as it's probably going to be a lot better than the onboard sound that it comes with.

May 1, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by portaprokid
I've been pretty happy with my Klipsch Promedia 2.1's hooked up to my E-MU 0404. A touch on the bright side, but sounded better than Logitech's offering in my opinion.

Yeah, I used to have the Z-560's from Logitech and no matter where I positioned the subwoofer, I was never satisfied with the bass, overwhelming and muddy, plus the satellites sounded somewhat err... tinny to my ears. Don't know about their newer offerings, but I still have the impression that Logitech is synonymous of boomy systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back