Computer speaker around 200$!!
Jan 19, 2012 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

imakuzim

New Head-Fier

Hello guys.
Completely new here regarding audio.

I would need some help on finding the right computer speaker for me.

As said in title, it would be around 200$ or could possibly stretch a bit if its really that good. (like m-audio bx8a being sold for 250$ perhaps?)

I believe my budget would be best for 2.0 or 2.1 as it will have better quality around that budget than 5.1 etc..
Initially, I would have chosen Klipsch Promedia 2.1 or Soundsticks III, they're best for my budget and already has a subwoofer, but as I've read along audiophile sites.. they where not so recommended with reasons I don't know.

I already have Asus Xonar D1.
I use the speaker at home for gaming, listening to music and movies.

As far as I understood, Audio Engine's A2 would be nice if I would be content on it's bass, but since I plan to have a 2.1 setup I could make use of a better speaker and leave the bass for the sub woofer.

Ok before I get really confusing, what I would need would be either:

a. 2.0 speaker with separate subwoofer
b. 2.1 speaker
c. or 2.0 speaker alone for the budget... and save money for the subwoofer later.. but this might need a really nice information why this.

Would be best if the price is referred from amazon.
Best bang for the buck! :>

Jan 20, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #2 of 12
You'd want some nice low end for games and especially movies so i'd hit either 2.0 floor standers or 2.1 with a 8-10" sub
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 21, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #4 of 12
Newegg has a decent deal on Polk Monitor 40s

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290203
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290202

They seem big enough that you probably will not feel like needing a subwoofer right away.  You can spend the rest on a power amplifier. 

cifani is right though.  With a budget that tight, it is best you check ebay/local seller for used.

Jan 21, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #5 of 12
For movies and gaming I would not recommend the Audioengines or the M-Audios. The ProMedias are better suited for that. Depending on your desk space, you might not want the Polk Monitor 40s either, as they are quite large. Having had and sold a set of Soundsticks IIIs, I didn't like them too much. The speakers that went on your desk had no substance, and the subwoofer lacked punch. If I disconnected the subwoofer, the two desktop units of the Soundsticks III sounded like laptop speakers.

If you do get the Audioengines or M-Audios, be aware that they are very directional, and they will sit flat on your desk when you buy them, so they will not be level with your ears if your desk is normal height. (I believe you want the tweeters to point to your ears). You're going to need stands or something to tilt them up or down. M-Audios are not very fun speakers so you don't want them for gaming/movies. Your'e also gonna want a sub for your M-Audios.

Haters gonna hate, but check out the Bose Companion 20s, they are great for multimedia purposes. Demo them at Best Buy.

What I own/owned: M-Audio Bx5A w/ Dayton 10" sub, H&K Soundsticks III (impulse buy), Bose Companion 20s (another impulse buy lol. returned them shortly after though), Audioengine A5s, Alesis MK2 Passives. My friend has a set of Klipsch ProMedia 2.1, so I'm decently familiar with them also.

Jan 21, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #7 of 12

Quote:

What I own/owned: M-Audio Bx5A w/ Dayton 10" sub, H&K Soundsticks III (impulse buy), Bose Companion 20s (another impulse buy lol. returned them shortly after though), Audioengine A5s, Alesis MK2 Passives. My friend has a set of Klipsch ProMedia 2.1, so I'm decently familiar with them also.

Off topic a bit, but what do you think of the Alesis MK2s compared to your other gear?  I am thinking about upgrading my office setup to something better and was considering them.  Good mention on the Bose, they are priced right, despite their reputation otherwise.

Back on topic.  If you want to go active 2.0, consider the Swan D1080MKII.

Jan 21, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #8 of 12

Hi guys thanks for the response and ideas!.

I've checked the store and saw this products.. lots of polk products I couldn't list them all, but here are some I listed.

I saw this MM-1 and I was literally about to impulse buy it just then I decided to skip a day for it and ask ur opinions. I just want to ask if its worth it.. i mean its so small and expensive.. it looks good though (noob). Haven't really auditioned it as the shop displayed it.

Prices here are ridiculously higher than state prices btw.

B&W MM-1                       = 651$
Polk TSI100                     = 230$
Polk TSI300                     = 465$
Polk TSI400                     = 663$
Polk M10                          = 162$
Polk RTI A3                      = 441$
Wharfdale 10.7                 = 616$
hivi mk200mkiii                 = 395$

PS. MM-1 is active right? I mean INCASE i'm buying it... I don't wanna spend anymore for amps -.-

Sorry guys I know I initially said 200$ but I really easily get swayed...................

Jan 21, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
The a2 has an available tilted rubber base and is the best I've heard. I'd buy those and consider adding a woofer later if I felt it necessary. It;s a quality vs quantity thing as I think the the a2 is qualitatively the best available.

(I've been looking at many comparisons of desktop speakers so here is my opinion)
Audioengine A2 vs. A5 review

Today I upgraded my Audioengine A2 that I've had for the last week for Audioengine A5 and I'm much happier with these bigger speakers for low volume listening from 2ft away at my desk. The bass only extends maybe 10Hz lower but it sounds nicer and doesn't start to drop off at 150Hz like the A2. The low end is also much more impactful so I enjoy the sound signature much more with electronic music or bass guitars with the A5. The A2 have good sound quality for mid and high frequencies as reviewers have said but at low volumes they didn't make songs sound good because they were missing bass and/or the bass sounded forced and muddy.

My opinion is that the A5 is an A2 with better bass. Keep in mind how tiny and portable the A5 are, when I say bass I'm not talking about 40Hz subwoofer bass that you can feel, the A2 don't have an accurate and realistic feeling low end for me with guitars and drums etc.

Jan 21, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:

Prices here are ridiculously higher than state prices btw.

B&W MM-1                       = 651$
Polk TSI100                     = 230$
Polk TSI300                     = 465$
Polk TSI400                     = 663$
Polk M10                          = 162$
Polk RTI A3                      = 441$
Wharfdale 10.7                 = 616$
hivi mk200mkiii                 = 395$

Wow.  That is a bit all over the place in terms of size and pricing.  Do you really want tower speakers just for a computer setup?  What country do you live in?  It is probably cheaper and easier to buy from a local manufacturer.  Another idea is to just buy locally used.  You usually can get some incredible deals this route.

Jan 21, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:

Off topic a bit, but what do you think of the Alesis MK2s compared to your other gear?  I am thinking about upgrading my office setup to something better and was considering them.  Good mention on the Bose, they are priced right, despite their reputation otherwise.

Back on topic.  If you want to go active 2.0, consider the Swan D1080MKII.

The Alesis are the most accurate speakers I've owned so far, so you're looking for a flat response these are good. Their sound also greatly depends on your amp, so there's that. I wouldn't exactly call them fun speakers, which is why I don't use them much for gaming or movies. Also keep in mind that studio monitors tend to sound unimpressive at low volumes. At low volumes, such as if your office isn't sound proof, I'd go with a different set up.

Jan 23, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #12 of 12
I owned the alesis passives aswell, while there netruel there 3d'ish soundstage is quite and would be good for gaming I thought the alesis sounded really good at low volumes, also another plus placement isn't that important with them there not directional they have excellent off axis responce.
Also you should avoid the a2's unless you like 200hz bass and nothing else matters, any of them bookshelf speakers you listed with a small amp would be much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back