Computer Speaker 2.1 Setup Suggestions
Jul 10, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #16 of 20

Quote:
They won't sound like your AT cans at all. The A7s has very little low end. They image well and produce a nice sound stage if the recording calls for it, but the highs can be rather fatiguing and too harsh. If you plan on getting them, be sure to audition them first.

I second that. Take an audition first. Musos have very little low end compared to other highly priced monitors. But if you're after imaging, sound stage, instrument separation, detail/clarity, mid and high end extensions they are brilliant. Go for an audition. Because when I was at the Hifi store I had an audition with B&W and KEF ones and found that KEF are a little on the harsh/very bright side. It also depends on the way you amp them. But for active monitors you certainly need an audition as you can't alter much afterwards.

Jul 10, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #18 of 20

Quote:
If you go with a receiver/ integrated amp, I wouldn't discount a good compact sub like the Velodyne MiniVee (8") or MicroVee.  My stereo setup is in a small room (iMac > Pro-Ject USB Box DAC > HK 3490 stereo receiver > KEF iQ30 speakers) and I thought that what I had was sufficient until I auditioned a MicroVee.  Wow.  The best part was that it never got in the way of the speakers, even in the small listening space.

Otherwise, have you looked at the Focal SX 2.1 speaker system? It is usually listed at $600, but I've seen it online for $500 from time to time.  I never auditioned the Focal SX outside of the Apple store, but for the price I was mighty impressed.  It easily trumps the comparable Bose system. 

I've heard the Focal SX 2.1 and it sounds very nice. But I disagree that it trumps the Cinemamate. Have you heard it? They really aren't even comparable, as the Bose is a simulated surround setup, and the Focal concentrates on stereo imaging. Both do what they are designed for well, but the Bose is in a different league when getting a 5.1 signal. Plug an iPod dock directly into the Cinemamate, and you will be surprised how well it works in stereo mode as well.

Jul 10, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #19 of 20

Quote:
Can you recommend brands that would sound more like my AT cans?  I don't have a car so I can bus out to audition, but I'd like to call in and make sure they have the proper stuff first.

Sorry mate, I've got no experience with AT. But just try and audition the above mentioned ones. And see it yourself how they stack up against your favorite ATs.

Jul 10, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #20 of 20
used pair of JBL LSR4328p (~$750 on Los Angeles craigslist). It's on ebay every now and then. I'm using these right now.

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/general/Product.aspx?PId=28&MId=5

These have 8" woofers with 150 watts going through them. The LSRs have a built in DAC and have a remote which you can use to adjust volume among other functions. Some used items may have the calibration kit included with them.

HIGHLY recommended.

get the stands below while you are at it or at least some auralexes if you are gonig to sit them on your desk.

http://www.speakerstandsonline.com/VTI-RF-VI1049.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back