Computer Speaker 2.1 Setup Suggestions
Jul 7, 2010 at 5:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

PhantmShado

Head-Fier
Hey, I'm looking for a sound upgrade for my computer and would really appreciate if you guys could offer some suggestions.

I'd like to stick with a 2.1 setup for a room about 10'5" x 12'5"; the setup will be a little above midway down one of the longer walls, only entrance to the room is an open gap about 4' wide which is in the top shorter side and connected to the wall the setup will be against.

Current components in case best budget involves their use:

[size=1.3em] source: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 (it's the usb one)[/size]

Satellites: M-audio Studiophile DX4s
Sub: Hsu STF-1

Budget to work with is $1000 post delivery cost pre tax.  May move a little on this if strongly suggested.  Willing to switch to a setup that includes a receiver, but want it to be included as part of the budget.  Sound card has optical out if it helps.  The setup's destination will be Seattle, WA.

Mandated replacement are the DX4s.  I have a pair of ATH-A900s for headphones and I'm sick of the experience of switching to headphones always seeming like such a holy change.  I would like my computer speakers to be at least a little closer to how good those sound.  The STF-1 I actually find to be a decently smooth and responsive subwoofer, but if it's though a replacement might make me happier within budget, please do recommend.

I appreciate all suggestions and please ask for any information you think may help you help me.

thanks,
PhantmShado

EDIT: Also, planned uses as I seem to recall that being a source of interest: Games, Movies, Listening to Music.  I prefer a nice neutral clean sound especially for the last one (fan of a lot of genres); I'm not a bass hound.

Jul 8, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #4 of 20

Quote:
A subwoofer in a small room can be overwhelming and wont sound good IMO so a 2.0 set-up might be better, I personally want to get a set of tektons and a small tube amp

I agree, a quality 2.0 is always ideal in a small room. Can't go wrong with single driver + SET.

But if you're looking for convenient/active speakers that you can use w/o a receiver, I'd recommend Dynaudio monitors. Other brands to look into are Adam, KRK, Genelec, Mackie, etc.

Jul 8, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #5 of 20
Bose makes a very good 2.1 simulated surround system called the Cinemamate if you want small satellites plus a decent sub. I really like mine.

Before you guys start, it's the only Bose product that I have ever really liked, besides their old school bookshelf speakers (301?), and that was a long time ago...

Jul 8, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #7 of 20

Quote:
Bose makes a very good 2.1 simulated surround system called the Cinemamate if you want small satellites plus a decent sub. I really like mine.

Before you guys start, it's the only Bose product that I have ever really liked, besides their old school bookshelf speakers (301?), and that was a long time ago...

Off topic but Grokit, are you the same Grokit on Audiogon? If so, small world! Good to see you hear too, hope you're enjoying the Bel Canto :)

Jul 8, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #8 of 20

Quote:
Off topic but Grokit, are you the same Grokit on Audiogon? If so, small world! Good to see you hear too, hope you're enjoying the Bel Canto :)

Hi there James! I have been noticing new sounds from the same music as before, where I have to take off the headphones to make sure they are not coming from somewhere in the house, so yes! I just now switched to the coax input, using my uDac as a usb-s/pdif converter for the first time. On first listen I'm pretty sure it beats the optical out of my Mac. I have a Firestone Bravo/Supplier reclocking converter and a usb isolator coming, looking for another big step up there as well. Good times!

Extremely OT, sorry
wink.gif

Jul 9, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #9 of 20
My setup: MacBook Pro-->iBasso D10 (Preamp)-->NAD 3130-->Arcam Muso

Put them in the right position and you're in for a delight. Any good sounding monitors would do the same. But I had a superb deal on Arcam ones and I couldn't resist. I've sort of checked and compared with similarly priced Monitor Audio ones. For resolution, clarity, detail, mids and top end Arcams were clear winners. They don't have a deep bass but given their size and my circumstances I don't need more bass as of now.

Jul 9, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #10 of 20
Any chance you have a short list of monitors to go through?  Also, could you get the speakers, amp, and preamp within budget?  

The guys up above seemed to like active monitors.  I just wanted to know if that was for the SQ or the convenience.  I'd prefer the best sq in this price range, the inconvenience of slipping in amps or things doesn't matter to me if it sounds better and doesn't stretch the budget.

Jul 9, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #11 of 20
Well I've got mine at a bargain price. I've bought my '87 NAD off the eBay, Musos were bought from a local hifi. I have had the D10 for quite sometime now. Mine are passive. There are some really good active monitors out there. But they are out of my reach. Such as Adam A7, Dynaudio bm5a etc...

Jul 9, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #13 of 20
If you go with a receiver/ integrated amp, I wouldn't discount a good compact sub like the Velodyne MiniVee (8") or MicroVee.  My stereo setup is in a small room (iMac > Pro-Ject USB Box DAC > HK 3490 stereo receiver > KEF iQ30 speakers) and I thought that what I had was sufficient until I auditioned a MicroVee.  Wow.  The best part was that it never got in the way of the speakers, even in the small listening space.

Otherwise, have you looked at the Focal SX 2.1 speaker system? It is usually listed at $600, but I've seen it online for $500 from time to time.  I never auditioned the Focal SX outside of the Apple store, but for the price I was mighty impressed.  It easily trumps the comparable Bose system. 

Jul 10, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #15 of 20

Quote:
I can get a pair of refurbed A7s (seem to have slightly more kind words than the bm5as) within budget pretty easily.  Are they good choices for clarity, depth, and accuracy of reproduction?

They won't sound like your AT cans at all. The A7s has very little low end. They image well and produce a nice sound stage if the recording calls for it, but the highs can be rather fatiguing and too harsh. If you plan on getting them, be sure to audition them first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back