Computer SPDIF -> DAC ?
Dec 22, 2009 at 7:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

myk7000

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, I posted this in another area (computers) but thought it would be relevant to here too.

Honestly I may sound stupid for this but I am looking at purchasing a dac right now that has RCA and BNC digital inputs.

I also have a laptop that has SPDIF Digital Out via HP Dock (on my hp laptop).

For the longest time I have been using a USB DAC to feed into my headphone amp as a good source. However, I am looking into a DAC that does not have USB (Paradisea non +) and wanted to know if I can still feed it music from my computer.

I currently do have on hand a Blue Jeans RCA Male -> 1/8 plug adapter that I would think I could plug into my computer's SPDIF slot (one of the headphone slots) and the other side into the RCA input of the paradisea.

Does this logic work? Will I be able to hear music once that is fed into an amp?

So basically I'm wondering if this signal will be the same as if the dac had USB capabilities.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Dec 23, 2009 at 10:15 AM Post #3 of 5
Maybe I'm confused, but all you'd need is a SPDIF cable. It'd go out from your computer and straight into the DAC. You wouldn't feed an analog signal to a DAC since it takes a digital signal and converts it to analog. It should be as simple as using a USB DAC, if not simpler.

Dec 23, 2009 at 10:33 AM Post #4 of 5
If it's just SPDIF from your computer to DAC it should be fine. Just make sure you know if it's coax or optical. Macbooks and iMacs have a 1/8" connector which is optical.

Dec 23, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #5 of 5
Yep, that should work. I am using a 1/8 to rca coax cable right now. Though I haven't had any problems I am going to see if I can get better results by feeding my Buffalo an I2S signal.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back