Computer Sound Issues
Dec 31, 2013 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

pevsfreedom

100+ Head-Fier
So here's the deal, 

Normally on my A/V receiver I only have to have it at 35 or so to play movies and it sounds plenty loud. Recently however I have to have it at 50+. Once the A/V receiver (Onkyo) is pushed past about 45 I get an intensely annoying 'static' that is extremely audible.

1) Anyone know why the volume has to be turned up higher? I've checked everything and everything is maxed out volume wise (on the computer itself)
2) Where is the 'static hiss' coming from as soon as I turn it up? Thanks!

Jan 1, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #2 of 5
  Normally on my A/V receiver I only have to have it at 35 or so to play movies and it sounds plenty loud. Recently however I have to have it at 50+. Once the A/V receiver (Onkyo) is pushed past about 45 I get an intensely annoying 'static' that is extremely audible.

1) Anyone know why the volume has to be turned up higher? I've checked everything and everything is maxed out volume wise (on the computer itself)
2) Where is the 'static hiss' coming from as soon as I turn it up? Thanks!

How is the computer connected to the Onkyo?
Which model Onkyo is it?

Jan 1, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #4 of 5

Onkyo HT-S3400 5.1-Channel Home Theater System

It's hooked up (audio wise) via the 3.5mm green audio jack which goes to the Onkyo (splits into a RCA and plugs in) which goes directly to the speakers.

So your currently running a 2-channel stereo analog audio signal from the computer to the Onkyo.
(I'm assuming your using the 5.1 speakers that came with your HTiB HT-S3400).
Update the audio software on your computer and make sure the computer's audio is set to 2-channel (not 5.1, 6-channel)
and try doing a reset on your Onkyo.

"To reset the AV receiver to its factory defaults, turn it on and, while holding down VCR/DVR, press
? ON/STANDBY. “Clear” will appear on the display and the AV receiver will enter Standby mode.
Note that resetting the AV receiver will delete your radio presets and custom settings."
So you would have to go into the Onkyo's setup and put back any custom settings you had.

Also you could get a S/PDIF optical cable, connect the computer motherboard's optical output to the optical input on the Onkyo.
I'm assuming your motherboard comes with DDL (Dobly Digital Live), which would give you 5.1 speaker surround sound.
As with your current setup (3.5mm grren jack) the best you can do is a fake surround sound (expanded stereo).

If your computer's graphics card has HDMI, you could run HDMI from the graphics card into the Onkyo, then run HDMI from the Onkyo to your TV/Monitor.

Or if you would prefer to use optical and not HDMI and your computer's motherboard did not come with DDL, then you could get an Xonar DX or D1 sound card (used $60) as it comes with DDL (and Dolby Headphone surround sound, if you used headphones plugged into the Onkyo)

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #5 of 5
  So your currently running a 2-channel stereo analog audio signal from the computer to the Onkyo.
(I'm assuming your using the 5.1 speakers that came with your HTiB HT-S3400).
Update the audio software on your computer and make sure the computer's audio is set to 2-channel (not 5.1, 6-channel)
and try doing a reset on your Onkyo.

"To reset the AV receiver to its factory defaults, turn it on and, while holding down VCR/DVR, press
? ON/STANDBY. “Clear” will appear on the display and the AV receiver will enter Standby mode.
Note that resetting the AV receiver will delete your radio presets and custom settings."
So you would have to go into the Onkyo's setup and put back any custom settings you had.

Also you could get a S/PDIF optical cable, connect the computer motherboard's optical output to the optical input on the Onkyo.
I'm assuming your motherboard comes with DDL (Dobly Digital Live), which would give you 5.1 speaker surround sound.
As with your current setup (3.5mm grren jack) the best you can do is a fake surround sound (expanded stereo).

If your computer's graphics card has HDMI, you could run HDMI from the graphics card into the Onkyo, then run HDMI from the Onkyo to your TV/Monitor.

Or if you would prefer to use optical and not HDMI and your computer's motherboard did not come with DDL, then you could get an Xonar DX or D1 sound card (used $60) as it comes with DDL (and Dolby Headphone surround sound, if you used headphones plugged into the Onkyo)

Let's see here,

Yes, 2 channel into a/v which goes to 5.1 (all stereo). I have upgraded left/right speakers but that's a null point, the rest is the stock Onkyo stuff. 

Thanks for your answer, I'll try all this and get back to you soon. Unfortunately the computer does NOT have HDMI, I use a DVI->HDMI. I've tried using the optical outlet before but could not get it to work. I'll try the first few things you mentioned though. I pretty much am content with fake surround for now but if I can get 5.1 working that'd be nice. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back