Computer setup, Which speakers to get?
Oct 9, 2012 at 4:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

obis

New Head-Fier
Hi guy's, I was thinking that if B&W speakers are better then genelec monitors then wouldn't it be nicer if i got some B&W speakers instead of studio monitors? and then get a DAC that can play whatever is on my pc out through the B&Ws? I have looked on the B&W site and there aren't any prices listed for the speakers'. I am guessing that they are very expensive but i wouldn't mind saving up some money for a good pair. Personally i like the look of B&W speakers rather then studio monitors like genelecs', don't get me wrong they are not ugly but i like the glossy look from B&W. By looking at the B&W site the speakers seem like they are just for home theaters...I am not sure but i think they could be used for sound design and music in general but the genelecs might surpass them in there flat response i don't know. And i don't even think that B&W ships to canada because they don't offer any. I wish i knew a good website where to buy nice high end audio stuff that would deliver to canada and i really hope those B&W speakers are at least kind of affordable. I also looking for a place where to buy nice equipment rack to hold DAC and CD player. Give me your thoughts!

Oct 10, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #3 of 4
B&W makes greaty speakers and you should not have any problems finding in their range something that suits you, at least if the budget is not a concern. I wouldn't worry too much about them being advertised as HT speakers - this relates more to their configurations than to their ability to reproduce music (i.e. there's no center speaker in a typical audio setup).

But there are a couple of things you should consider:
- Monitors are designed to work at a close range, while "normal" speakers work better when you are at least a couple of metres away from them.
- Monitors have a power apmlifier built in. If you substitute them by passive speakers, you need to add a power amplifier. A DAC or headphone amp will not drive them.

Note that B&W also has monitors in their range, for example the 805 S. If the price is somewhat off your range then check also Akai or M-Audio: maybe their designs will appeal to you more than Genelec...

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #4 of 4
I would suggest you should have a listen. Its the best way to decide what works for you. Speakers are not the same as headphones, as in, there's a lot of room acoustics factors involved, so try them out first!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back