Computer rig
Jun 26, 2001 at 4:58 PM Post #16 of 28
I have both the AL 885 and the Sirocco Crossfires. The 885s are nice and the xfires are very very nice. The thing about the average computer setup is the position of the front sats being so close and seperated by the monitor as they usually are. I feel that there is a definite loss of the ambient effect that is very important to loudspeaker listening.

Still, I'm happy with my xfires.

Jun 27, 2001 at 3:18 AM Post #17 of 28
You can still buy a set of Midiland S2-4100's.

Just go to www.diamondaudio.com, and click on the "pc speakers". You'll see a banner for a special offer on the 4100 model.

DiamondAudio OEM'ed those to Midiland to sell as the S2-4100's.

They're $250, including shipping. And they're worth every penny, IMHO.

Jun 27, 2001 at 6:55 PM Post #18 of 28
I have a good deal of experience with computer speakers, I am headed to work now however, and will post my opinions when I get back.

In short, avoid Klipsch, Videologic is good but expensive, and the ATP3s are really good compred to most in the price range.

Jun 27, 2001 at 8:52 PM Post #19 of 28
From what I've heard, the best "computer" (i.e., self-powered) speaker system right now is the Acoustic Energy AEGO2:

http://aego2.acoustic-energy.co.uk/

Cheezy website, but top ratings and great reviews all around. Even Stereophile gave it a great review, saying it sounded better than most separate amp/speaker systems for the price.

(Of course, that review generated lots of hate mail from Stereophile subscribers who were aghast that Stereophile lowered itself to actually review *gasp* "multimedia" speakers LOL)

Jun 28, 2001 at 4:49 AM Post #20 of 28
Okay - if you are looking for something cheap (<$150)

If you like a fairly dark, but otherwise reasonably balanced sound they the Altec Lansing ACS48s. They have been around a while, and can be had for under $100 if you can find em. aos: The speakers you are talking about is the ADA 880, they sound decent, if a bit dull, and put out very deep bass for computer speakers. I would prefer the 48s for music and the 880s for games and movies myself. The ATP3s, through a quick listen, sounded like they were the ACS48s with a lot more treble, which can always be turned down a bit, so I can highly reccomend them too.

CSW speakers aren't bad, but they are far from great. The cheapest speakers, the PCworks, havea very tinny sound, and no midrange. By audiophile standards they sound like crap, but for some reason I enjoy them quite a bit. The subwoofer is also highly lacking (4" in a plastic enclosure). The Soundworks speakers sound a lot better, but the sub is overdriven, and sounds like it is trying too hard. The sattelites are much better, and they can actually handle some mids. They are similar to the charecteristic Bose sound. In <$80 speakers, this isn't really much of a bad thing. The Microworks are around $150 and sound very good. They don't have much high treble, and the bass isn't incredibly deep, but they have a good full sound. The sub is much better then the other CSW offerings.

When buying CSW speakers, look at the size of the sattelites. I believe the three different types they use are from these exact speaker setups, and they use them throught the entire model line. If they have the smallest speakers, avoid the setup like the plauge. The medium ones (Soundworks) are decent, but don't fare too well in the lower mids, and the large onces are quite nice but sacrifice a bit on the high end.

Boston Acoustics and Yamaha make some of the best sounding cheap computer speakers IMO. The BA line goes kind of like the CSW one, but they sound better- better subs, more balanced natural sound. Avoid the "flat" ones though. Yamaha's cheapo speakers remind me a lot of the BA ones.

Labtec makes some decent speakers too. On the cheap end the Pulse (424 I think) is excellent. It has an 8" sub where most speakers have 4" and 5" drivers. The sattelites have a slightly bigger sound then the CSW PCworks.

If you care about midrange performance, avoid Klipsch, I would reccomend BA the most, personally, or perhaps the CSW Microworks.

If you want to go really high end there is always the Videologic stuff, but I am reccomending the stuff on the cheaper end.

If you want to spend................................You should get
<$35.............................................. ...........CSW PCworks
$35-50................................................ ......Labtec Pulse 242
$50-70................................................ ......Cheapest BA speakers
$70-100............................................... .....Altec ATP3 or ACS48
$100-150............................................... ...CSW Microworks

Jun 28, 2001 at 7:50 AM Post #21 of 28
MacDEF - How much does an AEGO2 run for, usually? I checked out the specs, and they have 3x inputs, and have 6 speaker outputs, ideal for a 5.1 setup..

Heck the Aego5, which is coming out, will be digital-ready.. Videologic Digitheater DTS killers, here I come!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2001 at 4:36 AM Post #23 of 28
Ouch. You'd think a 299-pound price in England would translate to about $450 in the 'States.. so a $700 or so pricetag for the 5 would be reasonable, as to be inline with the (somewhat crappy) Videologic system.

Sigh.

Jun 29, 2001 at 5:41 AM Post #24 of 28
My friend bought the Monsoon MH500's for $120 Can. We were only listening to MP3's so it's hard to judge the sound quality but they were a hell of a lot better than his JBL's that came with the computer. Like Royboy said, the connections were really loose and crappy on them but they worked fine. They play really loud without distortion too.
I couldn't really judge them much, but I thought I'd mention them cause I just happened to talk him into buying them before even reading anything about them on here.

Jul 2, 2001 at 10:08 AM Post #27 of 28
I have the Videologic Siroccos myself and I would really recommend them. Sure, they're only 2.1 as opposed to the Crossfires which are 4.1. But keep in mind that the money which the crossfires spend on four satellites the regular Siroccos spend on two better ones. They are larger and look more professional IMHO.I can't speak for the difference in sound, but one could speculate that they sound better because of the higher quality satellites. As for the 4.1 sound I've never missed it, simply because 90% of everything I listen to is in normal stereo. Also, I don't have room to set up for satellites around me like you should with 4.1.

Jul 9, 2001 at 6:13 AM Post #28 of 28
Xevion, no, I have ACS-500 speakers which I think are older than ADA 880. We're talking 1998 here. They are thoroughly excellent and neutral with only sin being higher noise level (probably built in amp) which causes loss of minute detail (that headphones can reveal). If they sounded much worse than my HD-580 I'd have replaced them by now
smily_headphones1.gif
. But they were a good investment.

I also have ACS-45 which I bought for rear speakers and they're noticeably worse but then they were "cheap".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back