Computer resets when cold... why??!!
Nov 22, 2003 at 7:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

insanefred

100+ Head-Fier
Argh! Annoying computer thing! Whenever my computer is switched on from cold, it's gets a little beyond the Win 98 splash screen, and then reboots. It always loads the second time, but you always get the list of boot options, and if you're not quick enough, it goes into safe mode. This has been annoying me for ages, but I thought that the computer genii on the forum could maybe sort it out. Is it my motherboard? It's one of those everything-in-one jobs, the cheapest I could find (hmm, I always buy the cheapest computer parts I can find, I don't know why, it's so counter-productive!)
This is bothering me so much, I can't concentrate on my music! Noooo!
Hellllp me!
Andrew

Nov 22, 2003 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 6
the only thing i can think of, is perhaps the os is trying to register a new piece of hardware, which requires a reboot. do you have any other devices connected to your laptop?

also, what programs are launched when you startup? perhaps one of them is causing the reboot.

the only other thing i can think of right now is a faulty power supply.

Nov 23, 2003 at 12:07 AM Post #3 of 6
windows 98 isnt the best OS ever made
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 23, 2003 at 12:20 AM Post #4 of 6
Yeah, I've tried taking away all the software that loads with windows, but same thing happens. It's only when the machine's been switched off for a while. Turn it on after just switching off, that's fine. Could be a PSU thing, but it only does it at that point, no other problems. And I know about Win98, but when I saw the list of drivers I was going to have to find for a Win2000 install, I decided not to bother! Once again, the benefits of buying branded over OEM components...
It's not a laptop, but a desktop. I'll try taking out cards and disabling hardware, we'll see what happens. Hmm, how much do macs cost nowadays?
biggrin.gif

Andrew

Nov 23, 2003 at 2:09 AM Post #5 of 6
windows 98 etc should default to safe mode if (during the previous start) the computer doesn't make it through loading the os...

as for why it's rebooting at that point...could be a lot of things but i doubt disabling hardware from within the os will do a damn thing as those "profiles" would not even be active at that point...

i'm curious as to what motherboard you have & whatever the answer to that question is i would update the bios as that immediately eliminates a list of possible problems & could possibly fix the problem you are having (& maybe a few others)...very rarely does updating the bios cause large problems at this level of computing & it's something people often forget to do...

so after you do that see if anything changes...but as your computer never completes loading the os you are in a loop...i suspect that after you make it through one successful (first attempt) load that things will be just fine...

anyhow...please give an update with any new developments & ya may also want to include a list of components you're using...

also, can you recall what changes you may have made before this started happenin'?...i realize that it's been a long time but this info could really help to diagnose the problem...

p.s. an os upgrade would most likely have the welcomed side effect of fixing this problem...might want to check into goin' from 98 to 98se if you haven't already...

Nov 23, 2003 at 5:05 AM Post #6 of 6
check for popcorning capacitors (since you say that it has been happening forever).

but it could be anything, really. I suspect a cold solder joint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back