Computer Question: Cpu Temp BURNING
Oct 27, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #16 of 31
Gollie;4912359 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr56k /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you are using AS5, it will take a week to see the temps fall. This is one of the annoyances with the compound. I went away from it because it is just to messy for my tastes.

I have Zalman STG on my overclocked Quad now, but if I ever reseat it, I will use OCZ Freeze. Pick up some Freeze and you will be pleased.

As for you CPU decision, more cores > less cores imo. The only way I would go back to a dual core would be to overclock to 4Ghz+ and that would be for gaming purposes only. Stick with the quad.

Also, are you using the stock HSF? If you are, a $25 aftermarket fan (Arctic cooling 64 Pro) will drop the stock temps considerably.

For more info, jump over to Overclock.net. We can get you squared away.

Yea my exsisting cpu is the Phenom X3 2.1GHZ thats why I purchased the x4 9550. Maybe I will see if anyone has a better cooler in town before I rma. Thanks to everyone who has given some input!

Oct 27, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #18 of 31
The crazy thing is.. I don't think it was the cooler. Remember I had two chips to test. One was my old Phenom x3 and my new 9950. My x3 installed the same way runs at 29-30c idle. Trying 2 diff fans/heatsinks with the 9950 resulted in 50+c idle. Even crazier yet is the 9950 would continiously clime until it got to 70-80c. The X3 under full load won't go past 45-50c. So for right now I'm just trying to return it. From there I don't no what I will do.

Oct 27, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #20 of 31
I think most thermal pastes have burn in time, that maybe be the problem, otherwise the thermal apste is probably crap. I recommend some artic silver thermal apste.

Oct 27, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by floydenheimer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What motherboard and PSU are you using?

Gigabyte motherboard and psu is a 500 watt. Cables are bundled and moved for maximum airflow. If you
looked through the window its a got a very clean look.

Oct 27, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHands /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think most thermal pastes have burn in time, that maybe be the problem, otherwise the thermal apste is probably crap. I recommend some artic silver thermal apste.

I am using artic silver
wink_face.gif
. Thats fine for the burn in time but many others agreed it still shouldnt get 70-80c . Also like I said I can drop in the old processor (amd phenom x3) with some artic silver and test right aways and its at 29c.

Oct 27, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr56k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gigabyte motherboard and psu is a 500 watt. Cables are bundled and moved for maximum airflow. If you
looked through the window its a got a very clean look.

Can you be more specific with the make/models of both?

And yes, AS5 has about a 200 hour burn-in time.

Oct 27, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Can you be more specific with the make/models of both?

And yes, AS5 has about a 200 hour burn-in time.

Thats fine. But why does my other phenom have such a low temp 'right away' ? I could see if maybe it was idle at around 40-45c and then over a while came down even more. But we are talking idle temps in the mid 50c. Also I downloaded a stress tester and it would max out all cores. On the 9950 the temp would continue to clime well over the max rated 71c. My triple core phenom wouldnt go past 50c and that is just 10 mins after popping it back in with the artic silver thermal paste.

Here are specifics

Motherboard- Gigabyte MA78G-DS3H
Power Supply- Kingwin 500w Power supply 'don't no model'

Oct 28, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #25 of 31
Is your motherboard bios up-to-date? I have a newer gigabyte, and had to flash the bios so it wouldn't go crazy and start killing humans.

Oct 28, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #26 of 31
I believe the bios is up to date. I ended up ordering a Athlon 64x2 6000 @ 3.1GHZ 89W Retail cpu ($61) at cost just a little while ago. Ill either use this for my current rig or my dads pc which needs a cpu 'we have everything else'. If my pc running Vista Ultimate x64 is mainly for gaming and photo work how should the Athlon 64x2 fair ? I'm pretty sure I will put the triple core phenom in my dads pc and put this 64x2 in my pc.

PS: Almost wishing I would have just went intel lol

Oct 28, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #27 of 31
I just read on another forum that a user with the same mobo/cpu combo you have talked to Gigabyte about it (same extreme heat issue) and they said the board isn't qualified to run the 9950BE.
frown.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

I just read on another forum that a user with the same mobo/cpu combo you have talked to Gigabyte about it (same extreme heat issue) and they said the board isn't qualified to run the 9950BE.
frown.gif

Hmm. Well at least maybe I can figure out whats the problem. Do you happen to have that link ? If not no biggie.

Oct 28, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #29 of 31
The problem is because that CPU draws more wattage than the board can support. There are a lot of AM2/+ boards that don't support the higher wattage CPU's.
Here's the link, check out the last post.

Oct 29, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

The problem is because that CPU draws more wattage than the board can support. There are a lot of AM2/+ boards that don't support the higher wattage CPU's.
Here's the link, check out the last post.

Thanks for your help! Yea I'm guessing thats the problem. That Phenom 9950 draws 125w. I ended up ordering a Athlon 64x2 6000 3.1GHZ 89w cpu and hopefully this will do the trick. I'm guessing my triple core 2.1GHZ pulled around the same. The 64x2 6000 will be here tomorrow. Will reply back with my findings. Wish me luck lol (Ill need it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back