Computer Question - About Language Setting
Jun 6, 2007 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dj_mocok

Headphoneus Supremus
I can type in Japanese using IMEjapan, but when I saved the file (eg. microsoft word), the file name turns into funny characters.

So basically, if I open the file, it's still in Japanese hiragana, but only when viewing the file in my computer, it seems not to support it and turns into weird characters.

Can anyone help me please?

Jun 6, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #2 of 12
Have you tried saving it as Unicode / UTF-8? I don't have Microsoft Word on this laptop, so I'm not too sure. However, you can test it on Notepad. Saving it in ANSI would bring up squares, so you have to save it in Unicode to keep the Japanese.

Could you explain "IMEJapan"? Is it a separate program or the one included in XP?

Jun 6, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #3 of 12
IME = input media editor.

It works fine typing Japanese character, it's just that windows seems not to be able to recognise it when I view it as a filename.

Jun 6, 2007 at 12:40 PM Post #4 of 12
Ah as a filename? Yeah, it really doesn't work too well, unless you set the computer to Japanese mode.

Control Panel -> Regional and Language Settings -> Advanced tab
Under "Language for non-Unicode programs", select Japanese.

That should allow you to type up Japanese in file names. It doesn't automatically convert file names, so you have to retype them. Do be careful when you install programs though, if it has an option for Japanese text, it will use it.

Jun 6, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #5 of 12
You have to have Japanese chosen for "Language for non-Unicode Programs".

Regional and Language Options -> Advanced -> Language for non-Unicode Programs -> Japanese

** huh... How did I not see the post above me. I didn't open Head-fi til 9:10...

Jun 6, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #6 of 12
How come I don't have that Japanese option under language for unicode...
I was using imejpn installer, but maybe I should try using the windows XP cd, maybe it will show the Japanese language option.

Jun 6, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #7 of 12
If you want to use JPN characters with non-Unicode apps, then you need to enable that support by following what laxx and ShinyFalcon said.

WinXP is already Unicode enabled so if a program supports Unicode and uses Unicode to display JPN characters, then WinXP will take care of it automatically (assuming you already enabled East Asian character support).

If you're using WinXP, you don't need to install imejpn. You can install the JPN IME included in WinXP.

Jun 6, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #8 of 12
The thing is my windows XP CD is one of the earliest generations one, so it doesn't even have SP1 in it.
I think the newer one comes with SP2 already, so what happens is when I try to install the language, it asks me to insert Windows XP Home with SP2, which I don't have.

I tried to use my "old" Windows CD, it didn't work. So I guess I have to borrow someone else's CD with SP2 already in the disk.

Jun 6, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #9 of 12
You can just download Windows XP since you're not installing it (don't need a CD Key to install East Asian fonts). I personally like to leave an image of XP on my HD so that I have easy access to it whenever I need/want.

Jun 6, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #10 of 12
I've never had any luck leaving japanese file names. Even when Windows isn't choking on them, sure enough I run across some app that can't handle them. I just surrender to roomaji file names.

Jun 7, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #12 of 12
Solved!

I just installed the language pack using a copy of Windows XP CD that has a SP2 already in it. (since it didn't allow me to use my old Windows XP CD before).

Now all work great! Thanks everyone!

You know what's funny, I actually called Microsoft and tried to get some help, the guy couldn't help me at all, and actually directed me to use the Microsoft online help service (or something like that) and he said it'd cost me 80 bucks.

80 bucks for a problem that I didn't create. Yeah right. I have my copy of original Windows XP, but since I was early adopter, it didn't even have SP1 that time. Guess that's what I get for being an early adopter. No way I'm gonna go Vista that early now. If they wanna win customer, they should ask me to send my copy of Windows and they'll replace it with another one with SP2 in it (I don't even mind paying the postage). (but of course not gonna happen, hehe...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back