Computer PSU repair
Feb 24, 2006 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

intlplby

500+ Head-Fier
hey guys... i haven't been around and i know this isnt hi-fi related but it is a DIY electronics problem i need help with

i bought a 4 bay HD enclosure from cooldrives.com

I bought the firewire icebox and moved to china today. I went to plug it in without switching the 110-220clip and heard a loud pop.

I can't send it back to be repaired in the US. I don't mind voiding the warranty. What will have to be replaced on the PSU to repair it. I don't know if the PSU a standard type PSU that I can replace? it's more compact and about 2"x7"x4"

The particular IC that blew is the following x13007F2

I can't read the first number (the x)
it also has 242 written on it.
I think it is this part over at DigiKey
http://rocky.digikey.com/scripts/Pro...M=HD6413007F20

any advice you guys can offer would be great.

thanks

Feb 25, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #4 of 4
A nice picture might help (of the whole supply and point out where this part is on it. Is your blown chip a TO220 part?

We can't even be sure only the one part blew out but one part that is likely to blow, AND that your number seems to suggest is a high voltage NPN switching transistor, which is also rather common in small switching supplies so that's what I'd investigate if it's a TO220 part between the bridge rectifier and the transformer.

See this search result and find someplace with same or similar enough part to an ST13007FP.

NOTE that it is rather important to get one with an isolated casing or have a viable insulator sheet and isolated (washer) screw combination if the original is also insulated from the heatsink. This part handles high voltage and you don't want to "get it wrong".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back