Computer problem (lilo bootloader screwed up!)
May 14, 2006 at 12:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

PYROphonez

Headphoneus Supremus
Okay, so I've had lilo bootloader on my pc for a while, and I was telling myself I gotta uninstall it because It's just gonna cause problems. So right after I say that, I turn on my computer this morning, and BAM.....

It attempts to load it, but all there is is an L, then I get the 80 error i guess.
I managed to get on my computer, because luckily, I had a bootloader on a floppy disk.
icon10.gif

How do I go about removing this from my MBR without linux still being installed?

Something like /fdisk mbr right?

And how can I access the DOS prompt anyways?

I would really appreciate any help on this.
Even though I can still use my computer, I don't like trusting floppy disks.
tongue.gif

May 14, 2006 at 4:02 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROphonez
Does that just reinstall windows?

I believe it just fixes the corupted files and MBR. But you should backup just in case.

May 14, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #5 of 8
Doesn't necessarily "fix" anything. It "replaces" all windows system files. It does sometimes cause corruption with things like drivers. It may also roll back all of your updates, and if your running a dual core processor, will really cause a mess, unless your disc has SP2 on it.

Do the repair install, you should be able to get into windows. Backup all your stuff and then reinstall windows. Troubleshooting after a repair install is like hell.

May 14, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #6 of 8
If you don't have a Windows bootdisk (floppy), go to http://www.bootdisk.com and get one (Win98 should work just fine). Format a floppy and place the files onto the floppy. Reboot with the floppy still inserted. When the command prompt comes up do the command "fdisk /mbr" to wipe your computer's Mater Boot Record. The floppy will replace it with the standard Windows MBR.

May 14, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #7 of 8
If you are running windows xp, boot from the windows xp cd, press R for repair - dont use the automatic repair, use the console... when you got the dos promt, use fixmbr and/or fixboot to fix the error.

May 15, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #8 of 8
well, I'm safe for now.
icon10.gif

My 6 in one card reader was causing the problem. I'm not sure why, but it was. Thanks for the help. I'll remember that when something actually does mess up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back