Computer or stand-alone speakers
Aug 30, 2004 at 5:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bsdfish

New Head-Fier
Hello fellow Head-Fi ers. I'm generally a big headphone guy, but I feel I have the space for speakers now, so I'd like to get something. Up to now, I've used the cheap $5 computer speakers, which of course are horrible. I'd like to keep things on a very tight budget.

My big question is whether I should get a 2.1/5.1 computer speaker set (which I can plug into my sound card), or get a couple of stand-alone speakers and a receiver. My budget is low: $100-200, hopefully close to the $100 side. I understand that whatever I get will not be good, but I have my headphones for good listening. Also, I live in an appt, so blasting music isn't much of an option, hence high power isn't necessary.

My primary source is my Audigy 2NX, though at some point, I may get a dedicated CDP. I'd hope to use the speakers for movies (5.1 would be nice . . .) and music (metal, hard rock, some classical)

Advice?

Thanks,

bsdfish

Aug 30, 2004 at 5:35 AM Post #2 of 6
The Logitech Z-560 speakers go for about 70 dollars on eBay, I know you want a 5.1 system and they're 4.1, but they're good computer speakers. I think they made a lower model the 650 or something that was 5.1, I'd check those out.

I'd only get those if sound-quality isn't a priority, otherwise they're awesome PC speakers and do what they're designed for.

Aug 30, 2004 at 9:07 AM Post #3 of 6
Honestly, I would try to get the best 2 channel speakers you can afford. 5.1 setups in your price range leave a little to be desired. I have a 5.1 setup (Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1), but I do not enjoy it nearly as much as my RB-5II's. Oh, and movies sound great in 2 channel still to me. Obviously this is my opinion, but at least give it a thought.

Aug 30, 2004 at 4:13 PM Post #4 of 6
You could get one of the cheap Sherwood stereo amps, they go for $79 US at Circuit City and then go for some Athena BS-1s, they are are excellent speakers in the less than $500 range and will probably sound a lot better than any computer setup, with ample bass as well. They are on sale at Best Buy right now for $130 US. This setup, will probably be over your budget by $10 or $20 but is definitely worth it I think.

Or, you can get a pair of Swan Diva 200s. I've only heard them briefly, but have read many good things about them. They're 2.0 so you don't get the sub but I think in your situation, it's suitable. They're great for music though. I'm looking to get a pair myself.

You might look into Goodwill or Thrift stores, sometimes you'll find a diamond in the rough with 80s model stereo amps. usually go for $10-$20.

Aug 30, 2004 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 6
I think it depends on what you want. If you're looking for lots of bass in that price range I think you're more or less stuck with computer speakers. If you want good sound overall and are willing to sacrifice bass (you have to give up something considering your budget) you could get some powered monitors like the M-Audio DX-4. I honestly haven't heard the DX4's though, I'm judging bassed on owning the BX8's and having heard the BX5's. Regardless, in this price range you're going to be making large compromises. I'd recommend saving a while and doing it right once rather than blowing the money and being unhappy with your purchase.

Aug 31, 2004 at 2:49 AM Post #6 of 6
Keep in mind that many (most?) stand-alone speakers are not magnetically shielded. That means keep them away from CRT displays, floppy disks, memory cards, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back