Computer Music Programs
Oct 16, 2007 at 12:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Audio Jester

1000+ Head-Fier
I was not sure where to post this, thought this might do.

I am wondering if anyone around here has experience with computer-based music programs. I used Cubase a long time ago, but I have heard good things about Sibelius. What platforms are better PC or MAC?

What I am looking for:
I need a program that works with good old-fashioned notation. Something that is easy to use (for someone who is not too familiar with computers) and has "real" sounding instruments. I was hoping to hook up a Midi keyboard (as well as other instruments if possible) and have it able to generate sheet music quite easily which does not require heaps of fiddling around.

Thanks for you help.

EDIT: Can anyone recommend a Mac setup for Sibelius? Will an iMac do?

Oct 16, 2007 at 12:52 PM Post #3 of 16
I was hoping to create a Mac based setup. Will the iMac be good for use with Sibelius or do you have to get a Mac Pro to be able to plug in Midi keyboards and other peripherals? As far as soundcards go I was thinking of getting something like the Emu0404 USB.... not sure if it works with Macs though?

Oct 16, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #4 of 16
I can't speak of what hardware to use, but I second the reccomend for Sibelius. For working with sheet music there's nothing better. Finale's not bad but I find myself able to work much faster in Sibelius.

I think you're confusing programs, however. For creating sheet music you want a music notation program. For "real sounding instruments", you need a decent synthesizer program.

Oct 17, 2007 at 9:07 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't speak of what hardware to use, but I second the reccomend for Sibelius. For working with sheet music there's nothing better. Finale's not bad but I find myself able to work much faster in Sibelius.

I think you're confusing programs, however. For creating sheet music you want a music notation program. For "real sounding instruments", you need a decent synthesizer program.

Hmm, maybe I am?? I used to use Cubase and I could use a midi keyboard to create tracks, produce sheet music from that, and play back the tracks using the instruments in the synth. Can Sibelius play music?? There seems to be extra packages that you can purchase for the program that seem to be collections of instrument synthesizers. I am guessing there is a limit to how real they are going to sound, but as long as a violin does not sound like the original "quack" from the old Apple desktops it should be alright.

confused.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #6 of 16
one of the new iMac should be more than enough. one thing i will say about the SQ of sebelius is that on the student version i heard the violins were quite horid. they sounded like an old casio from the 80's. but, i believe there are many options out there by way of synthesizers.

Oct 17, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Jester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, maybe I am?? I used to use Cubase and I could use a midi keyboard to create tracks, produce sheet music from that, and play back the tracks using the instruments in the synth. Can Sibelius play music?? There seems to be extra packages that you can purchase for the program that seem to be collections of instrument synthesizers. I am guessing there is a limit to how real they are going to sound, but as long as a violin does not sound like the original "quack" from the old Apple desktops it should be alright.

confused.gif

I find your lack of faith in today's digital synthesizers disturbing, have you not heard the latest wavetables?
tongue.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #8 of 16
Well, programs like Sibelius and Finale are top notch. The two tend to pass each other in terms of who's best...last I checked Sibelius is in the lead right now...but not by much. Both these programs are really only good for notation, however. I certainly wouldn't want to use them for recording an electronica song or anything.

Most DAW programs also feature notation tools to some degree. I know Sonar 6 can print out notated tracks, and a few other programs can as well. I personally find it easier to record a track using sonar (plus my keyboard controller) then printing out the sheet music once I've edited everything. The only downfall is the lack of features for making the notated tracks proper. You won't have the same kind of freedom when editing the sheet music as you would with finale or sibelius.

That being said, finale and sibelius are best if you want to have professional looking sheet music at the end of the day, and really don't plan on turning the song into a digital audio file (basically have it played by a live band instead). The DAW software side is best if you do want to release the song as digital audio, as you'll be more open to soft synths and plugins.

Oct 17, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #9 of 16
Oh, and as for hardware, it really doesn't matter as long as it isn't from 1998. Any current mac will be able to run finale/sibelius with no problems. MIDI isn't taxing to the computer, it doesn't require a bleeding edge machine to get it running.

You should have a fairly modern setup if you want to start using DAW programs with lots of soft synths and plugins, however.

Oct 17, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #10 of 16
Ill second the Sibelius reccomendation. If all you're looking for is notation, thats the way to go. And yes it still sounds the same maybe a little better. Sibelius is notation software, not a DAW. Its not meant to reproduce sound, and I believe it still uses just the original 127 MIDI patches. So yeah it'll sound pretty similar to how it sounded before (although different soundcards will reproduce MIDI somewhat differently.)

Just a tip, don't use a MIDI controller with Sibelius. It seems like a good idea at first, but its much faster just to hit the note name and then length on the keypad, just two keystrokes per note.

Oct 18, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #11 of 16
Thanks for all the replies so far. Sibelius might not be what I am looking for then if it is solely a program for notation.

What I was looking for is a program that you can use a midi keyboard to play something, have it come on the screen as notation and be able to layer different tracks and then play it all back so that is sounds like real(ish) instruments and at the end of the day print of sheet music.

Does this exist?

Oct 18, 2007 at 7:03 AM Post #12 of 16
Sure that exists, that's what sequencers do, pick any one of them. Though Sibelius and Finale do that too, it's just that they're both apps that have specific features to assist with notation and sheet music. As long as you're recording simple music and don't plan on doing anything complex those two apps will probably be enough. Sequencers are more multi-role and may be overkill for what you're looking to do.
wink.gif

And it looks like both of them offer a demo on their Web sites so you should try both.

Oct 18, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Jester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all the replies so far. Sibelius might not be what I am looking for then if it is solely a program for notation.

What I was looking for is a program that you can use a midi keyboard to play something, have it come on the screen as notation and be able to layer different tracks and then play it all back so that is sounds like real(ish) instruments and at the end of the day print of sheet music.

Does this exist?

It all depends on how intricate you wan the sheet music to be at the end of the day. If all you care about is having the notes, key/time sig and tempo, then a DAW would be your best bet. If you want there to be a lot of dynamics written in, as well as any other "special" notation (basically anything that isn't terribly common) then you'll want notation software.

DAW will also be able ot handle better sounding instruments. It will also handle using a controller to input sounds much better, and offer you much more versatility in editing the sequence. The only time I ever use notation software is if I am writing a song purely for the purpose of having the sheet music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back