Computer monitor + amp overhaul
Feb 25, 2015 at 10:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Gibsonorbust

New Head-Fier
I just learned my 8year old audioengine A5s are beyond repair and looking to shake up my whole headphone rig. 

However, I just purchased a Schitt Modi 2 Dac and like the sound, and am still within my return period. The Schitt runs through an M^3 diy amp to HD 650s.

So, instead of replacing the A5s with another pair of self-powered monitors, I'd consider replacing the M^3 for an amp with speaker posts to drive a passive pair of monitors. Is trying to combined speaker and headphone amps too much of a compromise? Any capable amp in the $700 price range that would respectably outshine the M^3?

Thanks

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #2 of 7

So, instead of replacing the A5s with another pair of self-powered monitors, I'd consider replacing the M^3 for an amp with speaker posts to drive a passive pair of monitors. Is trying to combined speaker and headphone amps too much of a compromise? Any capable amp in the $700 price range that would respectably outshine the M^3?

First off, if there's any amp that's as good as the M^3, it would very likely be much larger than a decent, powerful Class D amp and the M^3. I haven't listened to it but the AudioGD Precision 1 is within that price range; Precision 2 I think is a dual mono version, among other improvements. Main difference is the headphone power output - the Precision 1 makes more power at high impedance (2.3watts at 300ohm) while the Precision 2 makes more power at low impedance (only 100mW at 300ohms).

Feb 25, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #3 of 7
[quote name="Gibsonorbust" url="/t/756515/computer-monitor-amp-overhaul#post_11356863"Is trying to combined speaker and headphone amps too much of a compromise? Any capable amp in the $700 price range that would respectably outshine the M^3?
[/quote]

Well, it's very much a niche item to find a speaker amp and good headphone amp combined and I think you would be paying a lot for the convenience. . If you are satisfied with your current headphone amp, then a separate speaker amp seems the way to go. This Emotiva mini-x would work great for powering passive speakers in a desktop setup: https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/mini-x-100. It has a line out pass through, so you would set it up Modi 2 -> Emotiva amp -> M^3. Then put your money towards better passive speakers or speakers + sub. That's where you'll get the most sound quality increase: speakers and sub, not putting money into an amp.

The other reason to go separates is that if later on you can upgrade your headphone amp, and there are way more choices available in stand alone headphone amp vs. headphone amp combined with speaker amp.

In fact, what is your total budget for amp + speakers? Or do you have the speakers already?

Feb 25, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #4 of 7
The $700 budget would include the passive speakers as well. I enjoy audio engine's sound signature and may opt for their P4s at $250 MSRP.

Therefore, its looking likely I'll keep everything as separate components and opt for passive speakers, speaker amp (this emotive looks like a great fit), Modi 2 DAC and keep my M^3 headphone amp.

Thanks for your recommendations 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #5 of 7
PS4s are popular among people that know Audioengine, not speakerfiles.

Look into Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SEs or HSU Research HB-1 MK2s. Much better class of speaker than the PS4s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back