Computer memory problems
Jul 9, 2007 at 7:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Firam

500+ Head-Fier
I converted my old desktop into a file/print server. It had 1 GHz Celeron and 2x128 MB memory. So it will work for what I want. However it didn't run quite as fast as I hoped and I know XP likes a little more than 256MB so I found a stick of 512 MB on eBay and was going to replace one of the 128s. I get it and put it in and fail. It gives beep codes but I have yet to figure out what they mean. But it is different than the constant beeping that you get with invalid or missing memory. I thought as long as I got the speed right (PC133) it would work, maybe not. Maybe my motherboard can't handle 512MB in one slot. It was a cheap eMachine so that wouldn't suprise me. I'll test the memory in a different computer and see if it works then. I might have to do 2x256MB.

Jul 9, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #3 of 19
go to this website and download the iso and burn the ultimate boot cd. then put it into your cdrom drive and boot up the compy, then run memtest 86 with the 512 stick installed. that will tell you if the memory is bad, and also if its being recognized as installed

Jul 9, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #4 of 19
512MB should work in that machine. A common problem is memory density. Older PCs cannot handle high-density memory very well. They tend to like the more expensive low-density memory.

Here are two likely scenarios when using HD memory in an older box: A) Will only recognize half of the memory. B) Not boot at all.

A quick way to tell density is to count the number of chips. I'm betting that it has 8 chips (HD) and what you want is 16 chips (LD).

Also, have you tried only the 512MB stick? Try not to mix and match if you can. Try different slots too, starting with 0, 1, 2.. etc.

Please report back.

Edit: Make sure the memory slot is not full of dust, that can cause problems too. Many HSF like to throw junk in that direction. Also, when seating the module, you should hear a nice "snap" as confirmation that is is securely in place.

~Zip

Jul 9, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #5 of 19
If it's an older computer, it might be one of those that run off of paired DRAM DIMs (original DRAM needed to have two identical chips to run). It would help to try to track down a manual for the MB. BIOSes can be finicky sometimes about what kind of memory configurations they like. Might be that both slots are 0 and need 2x256 or 2x512 (if it goes up to 1GB). Best to have a look at the MB and track down its model number to find out memory it accepts.

Jul 9, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #6 of 19
I ordered low density and it has 16 chips so it is. And my two old ones are high density.

I tried it alone in both slots 0 and 1.

I looked up the beeps for a PhoenixBios, the pattern is 1-3-3-1, which means Autosize DRAM. Which indicates bad memory I think.

I'm going to do the memtest as soon as the ISO downloads.

Edit: Well it came with one stick of 128MB and it worked. I'll try to look up the motherboard manual.

Jul 9, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it's an older computer, it might be one of those that run off of paired DRAM DIMs (original DRAM needed to have two identical chips to run). It would help to try to track down a manual for the MB. BIOSes can be finicky sometimes about what kind of memory configurations they like. Might be that both slots are 0 and need 2x256 or 2x512 (if it goes up to 1GB). Best to have a look at the MB and track down its model number to find out memory it accepts.

I believe that was technology from Socket 5 and used the old EDO memory. A 1ghz Celeron is Socket 370 and uses SDRAM. This type of memory does not require pairing.

~Zip

Jul 9, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ziplock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe that was technology from Socket 5 and used the old EDO memory. A 1ghz Celeron is Socket 370 and uses SDRAM. This type of memory does not require pairing.

~Zip

My old Pentium used SDRAM that did need pairing. Early DIMs needed pairing too, not just EDO. I remember how much of a hassle it was to keep those boards identical.

Anyway, it could be a possibility.

Jul 9, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #10 of 19
The motherboard is from a eMachine T1100. I don't follow what memtest is doing but red can't be good. It says memory 127MB when I have the 512MB into. Maybe my existing memory is a little bad too.

Jul 9, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ziplock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried looking at the capacitors on the mainboard? Are they bulging or leaking? A good cap will be perfectly flat at the top, a bad one will have a bump.

I look to be ok. Would that cause my old memory to work but not the new?

Jul 9, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #13 of 19
I googled and found your problem: the emachine only supports up to 256MB of memory
frown.gif

http://www.memoryx.net/ememt1me2.html

Also, for future reference on type of memory:

Quote:

Those PCs need 168-pin PC133 SDRAM but with CL=2 (same as most older Dells).
CL=2.5 or CL=3 won't work.

That would also make sense as to why that 512MB card is being read as a 128MB then....

Jul 9, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

I googled and found your problem: the emachine only supports up to 256MB of memory
frown.gif

http://www.memoryx.net/ememt1me2.html

Also, for future reference on type of memory:

Hey, thanks! I got CL2, just the stupid motherboard. Now I have some thinking to do. Spend more money on a cheap motherboard or sell the 512 MB and stick with 256MB.

Edit: The 512 MB was no being read at all, my two original sticks were 128MB.

Jul 9, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

My old Pentium used SDRAM that did need pairing. Early DIMs needed pairing too, not just EDO. I remember how much of a hassle it was to keep those boards identical.

Anyway, it could be a possibility.

After digging around a bit, it appears they put EDO on 168pin DIMMs which is why the pairing was required. I thought they let it die off with 72pin SIMMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back