[Computer] > [?????] > [LD III] > [Senn 559s]
Jul 20, 2007 at 7:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Mr00000

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for reccomendations on either a USB DAC or a sound card / DAC combo (for optical / SPDIF DACs). Something cheap-ish - like in the range of an E-MU 0404 USB... I might just end up getting that unless you guys think a different setup would be better. Thanks much,

Mr_Zero

Jul 20, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #3 of 20
Is there somewhere I can buy this new (preferably in the states)? From the little bit of Googling I've done I haven't been able to find anything.

Any other reccomendations?

Jul 20, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #4 of 20
The Edirol UA-1EX was a key component in my system for nearly a year. It performed admirably, fulfilling the dual role of being a USB interface (with true ASIO capability) and DAC - analog outs went straight to my amp. It's flexibility came to light when I got the Musiland DAC - the Edirol stayed in the system as the interface and it send digital optical to the Musiland DAC. Shouldn't cost more than around $80 nowadays IIRC.

Jul 20, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #5 of 20
How is the ESI Juli@ as a stand-alone DAC (using its Analog outputs going to an amp)? ... The setup would look like:

[Computer] > [ESI Juli@] > [Some nice-ish cables] > [LD III] > [Sennheiser 595s]

Trying to make a nice, cheap, but all-around complete rig.

Thanks much,

Mr_Zero

Jul 21, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #7 of 20
Cool. I am so close to going nuts and pulling the trigger... and ordering:

ESI Juli@
Blue Jeans Cable LC-1 (3ft)
Little Dot MkIII

I love my 595s already and am hoping for a true "Wow" factor from these purchases. What do you guys think?

Once again, thanks so much for the input,

Mr_Zero

Jul 21, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #8 of 20
I'd go with something outside of the PC if I was you, as in USB dac.

Jul 21, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #9 of 20
What is the best quality USB DAC I could get in the $100-$175 range?

Jul 21, 2007 at 7:32 AM Post #10 of 20
I still suggest the Edirol because of the flexibility. It is a USB DAC which isn't half bad at all. And, when you want to take the next step up, you can use it solely as the interface and add any external DAC of your choice (that is, you won't be limited to USB DACs only) and it will transfer bit-perfect signals to it.

Jul 21, 2007 at 1:58 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr00000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the best quality USB DAC I could get in the $100-$175 range?

I don't know how you can beat the E-mu 0404 USB for $150 (using Guitar Center rebate offer which ends July 31). I would have bought one by now except that I am still considering home dac/amp combination units instead. Check a few of the 0404 threads for more information.

Jul 21, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #12 of 20
I've thought about the E-MU 0404 USB but am a little worried about problems people report with the USB interface, ASIO drivers, and drivers in general. Is this something to worry about?

Jul 21, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr00000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've thought about the E-MU 0404 USB but am a little worried about problems people report with the USB interface, ASIO drivers, and drivers in general. Is this something to worry about?

Not for me it isn't because I feed it digitally via my X-Fi and use the X-Fi ASIO driver. Why don't you consider using it that way instead?

Jul 21, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #14 of 20
I am betting that most users have no issues with the USB/ASIO/driver situation with the 0404 USB and WinXP. It installed and worked without a hitch on both my desktop and notebook......works via ASIO under Foobar, switches back to WDM for WMP11 when I quit Foobar, both systems seamlessly revert to onboard audio when I power it down.

People who have no problems generally don't bother to post to forums, so what one reads about such difficulties might be skewed.

Jul 21, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #15 of 20
Cool I'm going to get the 0404 USB at Guitar Center today - can't beat the rebate deal right now.

I've contacted Blue Jeans Cable to see if they can make 1/4" TS to RCA cables for me (for when I order my amp).

Now to decide if I want to get the Little Dot MkIII or Darkvoice 336i... its going to be a tough call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back